Pollensa Forum

Pollensa Forum (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/)
-   Car Hire, Airport Transfers in Majorca (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/car-hire-airport-transfers-majorca/)
-   -   Car Hire Queues in Palma Airport (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/car-hire-airport-transfers-majorca/7519-car-hire-queues-palma-airport.html)

Jupiter1972 10-06-2011 13:52

Car Hire Queues in Palma Airport

Hi, was wondering if anyone could advise as to the car hire queue situation this year in Palma?

Last year we had a hire car from Record and as we had to queue for about 90mins this year we have switched to another company (Sixt). We do expect to have to queue for a time but the whole situation with Record last year was complete Chaos so didn't want to risk that again!

Heading out at the end of the month.

Thanks

Sun Properties 10-06-2011 14:20

Record still appear to have problems in the peak season. Should be much better with Sixt especially if you get yourself a Sixt card off their website. Depending upon the date you leave you might just get this in time. Sixt card (plastic) retains all your driving licence details etc - they are free of charge - and speed things up at the airport. If you use your card 5 times you are then transferred onto their discount scheme.

SP

Jupiter1972 10-06-2011 14:23

Thanks SP i will look into their card, didn't know there was such a thing.

J

cumberland8 20-06-2011 15:17

record are still having problems my Uncle waited 50mins last Sat & its not even season yet.

Lorenzo 20-06-2011 23:10

Car hire queues

I spent two hours in the queue for Record last October - and decided that was going to be the very last time. I had been a loyal customer of Record for many years but had also had one of their ropey cars break down on me on an earlier visit.

I have used Sixt & Europcar ever since - and am very happy with their full/full fuel policy (ie you only pay for the fuel you actually use) and the wonderful efficiency in the airport for getting the hire cars. Their cars are generally newer and cleaner and also, importantly, have all the required safety equipment in them (hi-viz jackets & warning triangle) whereas Record cars never seem to.

Alcanada 21-06-2011 10:27

I always book with Doyouspain.com and invariably they put me with Record. I tend to come out off season in April and October so haven't been on the wrong end of the queueing problem.

For my next trip in October there will be 4 of us with golf clubs so I have booked a Berlingo and got a rate of 145 Euros for 6 days from Record (through Doyouspain.com). There will be a tank of fuel to pay on top of that and a few other bits and pieces plus they have a full/empty policy. However this cost is still very much less than that quoted by other carriers such as Sixt and Europcar. It's a horrible way to start a holiday but I guess that's why there are long queues at Record.

endhouse 27-06-2011 19:48

Always use Hertz or Sixt as I have wasted hours queuing at Record etc and it gets the holiday off to a bad start. I know these firms are more expensive but very often I have been upgraded and the quality of the vehicle/service makes it worthwhile. I want to spend time in PP not in line at Palma airport. Roll on August!

Mark 27-06-2011 20:08

Similar thread here if it helps anyone:
http://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/...re-advice.html
-

Harters 27-06-2011 22:16

Any idea what the Avis queues are like (car from them is included in our villa rental) ?

Disorderly 28-06-2011 12:32

On the subject of Avis, apart from the queue question, is the office desk in the baggage hall now open or do you still have to queue in the wretched car park for Avis?

Duncan

JMD40 28-06-2011 12:52

In my experience and listening to clients almost ALL the car hire companies have long queues at Palma airport. Maybe its worth using a local company who do not have an office in the airport, will meet you elsewhere in the building and have already taken your driving license details so the contract is 80% complete.

romanb 28-06-2011 21:13

We used Avis earlier this year no queue but we did have to go to the car park to pick up the car.

lollipop 29-06-2011 11:59

I have noticed that Bob McCallum is doing car hire this year. Might be worth a look on his website to see if he has them on there. Will look next time I am on the front to see if he does airport pickups.

Jupiter1972 22-07-2011 13:28

Well how glad was I we used SIXT this year. Hubby had car keys in his hand before I even made it to the luggage belt.

First time we had used them and it certainly wont be the last! Had booked a VW Golf for a very reasonable price, wasn't one available so instead we were given a brand new VW Passatt estate.

Their fuel policy is Full/Full so nothing extra to pay on collection. From what i saw in the car park their fleet is pretty much all german manufacturered vehicles and all looked relatively new and all were very clean and in a good condition.

For once the car hire was a pleasant experience, what a nice way to start off the holiday!:)

PP_Kev 23-07-2011 00:29

Until my future father in law bought a car to keep at the villa, we always used to hire a fiesta for my fiancee and I. We had always used gold car with no problems or issues at all. We then went with record (again with a fiesta), when we got to the airport, we were told we had been upgraded. However, when we got our hire car, we got an old fuel thirsty ford focus estate, which was too much for the two of us and put twice as much petrol in as what we would of done with a fiesta as ordered.

The future in laws have also had problems with record before. Record seem to say they upgrade you, but I do not think the vehicles are maintained at all.

As I said we usually use the in laws car now, but this september, we are having to hire again due to the in laws being in PP at the same time. We are trying a different company this time with Vanrell, so hopefully it will work out.

We have also used Formentor motors and lagoon in the past with no problems at all.

Kev