Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > BEFORE YOU GO > Car Hire, Airport Transfers in Majorca

Car Hire, Airport Transfers in Majorca Anything related to car hire both via UK companies and local companies. Can include discussions on motoring, bringing your own car, taxis, airport transport etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20-02-2011, 19:28

Default car hire 2011

2 questions, 1 perennial - does anyone know who does 'full/empty' on a 6 day rental with on-airport base?

the other - can anyone remember which hire companies have their offices either side of Goldcar airside @ Palma? Had a bad queue experience with Goldcar last year after many years of using them, offices either side had none - suspect cost the reason, but....

any help gratefully received
Sponsored Links
Old 21-02-2011, 00:01

Default car hire

I think that you will find that the majority of hire car companies have the full/empty policy.

Personally I do not like this 'policy' as you are forced to buy a whole tank of fuel (often at inflated prices) and then try to take the car back empty. Realistically, this is virtually impossible as no-one would normally risk running out of fuel on the way back to the airport. Well unless they had a secret desire to stay a bit longer that is!

I always used to use Record but the queues at their desk in Palma Airport combined with their Full/empty policy has driven me away. We noticed that desks on either side of Record had few if no customers but neither rental company would entertain hiring a car to us as we had not pre-booked with them.

So now we have moved over to Sixt car rental - a bit more expensive but you take the rental car back full of fuel so you only pay for what you have used. Their cars are in good clean condition, with few kilometres on the clock and the service at their counter in the airport is second to none. We have often been given a complimentary upgrade as well. Plus all Sixt cars have the required safety equipment in them - high viz jackets and warning triangles, something that not all hire car companies do. Not always a major concern - well until you break down that is!

Last edited by Lorenzo; 21-02-2011 at 16:29.
Old 21-02-2011, 01:42

Default RecordGO car rental

Quote:
Originally Posted by smg View Post
2 questions, 1 perennial - does anyone know who does 'full/empty' on a 6 day rental with on-airport base?
i rented from RecordGO for 8 days for £ 57 including a full tank of petrol

Just made a comparison as follows :

A)
sixt.co.uk Hyundai i10 (Economy car ) 6 days next week € 119.97 ( £ 100.71 )

B)recordrentacar.com ( recordGO )
Hyundai Getz 3, (Economy car ) 6 days next week € 38,59 no additional insurance. ( I did not get their additional insurance, and never have in 20 years )

So even if you say, double recordGO price for additional full every extra insurance contingency, to € 78, then losing € 10 for 2 gallons of reserve petrol, the price for RecordGO is worth the wait, although i did not have to wait. ( off season )

You don't HAVE to take the car back empty, so lets say you take it back half empty, you have still saved on fuel, as you didn't have to fill it full on return.

Tip . it may not work in Palma, but in U.S.A. I get the latest plane possible, ( assuming we all travel on a Saturday ) always wait 15 / 20 minutes before going to the car hire desk, so there is a chance that the economy cars have all gone, so they ask you if you wish to upgrade ( knowing there are no small cars left ). I of course say no, dont need to, and often told to choose any car, and once I got a top of the range car, costing 4 times as much, ( 4 upgrades ) but still only paid for an economy car.

Yes, I am a "cheap skate", but renting a car at half the price, and not having to fill up the tank on return, is an offer not to be missed, and we had to wait 3 hours anyway,before we could enter the apartment, so a wait at the desk would not bother me.

But you choose your car hire company on its merits ( customer service / cost etc ), but above is how you can save money, and use that to enhance your stay, or just leave the saving in the bank in these "tight" times.
P.S. I understand Petrol stations are not open Sundays. Worth remembering !

Last edited by ram; 21-02-2011 at 01:47. Reason: P.S.
Old 21-02-2011, 09:04

[QUOTE Had a bad queue experience with Goldcar last year after many years of using them

..seems you were lucky it was only a bad queue experience - Goldcar got some very bad press in yesterdays Guardian
-
Old 21-02-2011, 18:58

Default Car rental

Hi,

I echo Lorenzo's views regarding Sixt car rental. We have used them many times and have always got the best service and the cars are first class. Customer service second to none!

Linda
Old 21-02-2011, 19:46

oo - er too much tinto, I fear

what I meant to ask was does anyone do full/full?

anyway, thanks for the replies, & I will check out Sixt
Old 21-02-2011, 21:50

Europa car does full/full. Have always used them. Good cars and also have a main office in Puerto Pollensa.
Old 21-02-2011, 22:03

Default Car rental

Yes, Sixt do full/full.
Old 22-02-2011, 13:59

Good to hear good reports on SIXT. Have always used RECORD but after last year's shambolic queues decided to go elsewhere for 2011. To be honest we booked back in Oct and got an Automatic VW Golf for 1st two weeks July for a very decent price. To book same car today would cost us over £650!!!