Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > BEFORE YOU GO > Car Hire, Airport Transfers in Majorca

Car Hire, Airport Transfers in Majorca Anything related to car hire both via UK companies and local companies. Can include discussions on motoring, bringing your own car, taxis, airport transport etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27-07-2010, 11:03

Default What vehicle for 6 people and luggage?

Hi

Could someone please advise me on what size/make of vehicle would be best to hire for 6 people (4 adults and 2 children) and 5 large suitcases.

I don't think a 7 seater would be any good as quite often the 2 extra seats come at the expense of the boot space.

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Old 27-07-2010, 11:34

Hi Jupiter, you would need a full MPV for that like a Mercedes Vito which hold 9 but this would cost a fortune, what about two small cars, that would work out cheaper, or transfer to the port and have a MPV delivered to where you are staying. Hope this helps

On island time!!
Old 27-07-2010, 11:39

Thanks sws97sdg

Unfortunately only 1 of our party is confident enough to do the driving so that's why we need 1 vehicle.

To hire a Vito for next year is about 1200 from the airport which is crazy money. We are taking a villa so need transport to get around.

Not sure what to do with this???
Old 27-07-2010, 12:49

Default Record?

Have you tried Record? They have a class Q1 (Renault Traffic CDI A/C 9 seater or similar) which they specify for 9 people and 4 suitcases.
Spain Car Hire - The widest fleet at your service - Car Hire in Spain - No intermediaries
They do have some restrictions in hiring out certain car classes through the main holiday season though.

Some of the companies also mightn't have the correct prices for next year on their systems. Might be worth sending an e-mail request instead?
Old 27-07-2010, 12:55

Thanks Mike. I had a look at Record but the dates I want for next year are not up yet! I'll keep trying
Old 27-07-2010, 16:27

We were in the same situation last year. We ended up with a Kia and managed to cram the luggage in - a bit of discomfort on the journey to & from the airport but otherwise we managed fine! Previous year a Renault Espace did the trick admirably...You won't need something as big as a Vito or Trafic but you'll have to compromise a little on price!
Old 27-07-2010, 18:40

seat alhambra in 6 seat mode in might do it, but you will probably have to have couple of cases on knees - acceptable for 40 min journey?
Old 27-07-2010, 21:11

Thinking outside the box - or the car in this case - what about one of the smaller options, but hire a roof rack? I know Avis and Europcar hire them but not sure about others. This may be a cheaper option.
Old 28-07-2010, 00:11

or get a smaller car ..... one that will just about fit the 6 of you without luggage but 2 of you use repsrt hoppa for jpourney to and from airport ..... costs between 6 and 9 euros each way per person depending upon how early you book. ....... you could always make whoever is wimping out of driving abroad take the coach lol
Old 28-07-2010, 00:45

We hire a Berlingo for 4 adults, 2 children + the kitchen sink. One adult jumps on the airport bus into Palma then changes to the PP bus or the train to Sa Pobla. He is usually in PP/Sa Pobla before we are!
We used a Resort Hoppa type coach firm in June and were sat in the carpark for an hour waiting for two passengers who didn't turn up. (Must stress it was NOT Resort Hoppa)
We don't move far out of PP, so we do 2 trips if we are, for example, going out to Tango. You have got to use up the full tank of fuel that you have had to pay for!
A Berlingo at 400 euros vs. 1200 for a Vito - no contest
Old 28-07-2010, 07:56

Your first comment re 7 seaters is correct. I run a Opel Zafira and with the two rear seats up there is no luggage space.
Old 28-07-2010, 09:12

Default Vehicle for 6 people and luggage

We have used a 7 seater Zafira for 3 adults and 3 children plus luggage, and on another occasion a VW 7 seater Touran for 4 adults and 2 children plus luggage.

It is a bit of a squeeze to and from the aiport, particularly for the person stuck in seat 6 along with the luggage, but we managed.
Old 28-07-2010, 17:31

First of all - Six people and Five suitcases into one car does not go - If nothing else, it is downright dangerous for the people sitting on and next to the heavy luggage!

Why not get yourself a "small" people carrier, that will still seat seven, and put your luggage in a taxi to and from the airport. The taxi will be circa 80 Euros each way, which will be considerably less expensive that hiring one of the van-derived MPVs.

Goldcar run a very large number of Citroen C4 Picasso MPV's in their Group L. This is actually one of their estate catagories, which somehow makes the car much cheaper. It is listed as a five seater, but they are all sevens (as the two seats in the loadbay fold down.) These will very comfortably seat five adults and two children, and are easily as big as a Galaxy which is in the group above.

I have found them to be considerably cheaper than most other companies for these vehicles, although you do need to buy a full tank of fuel if the hire is over three days. The fuel is at a premium rate, but the rental overall still usually works out cheaper, particularly if you are planning to use the car for touring around. All are diesels so this will help further!

I think that they have both autos and manuals - so they should be suitable for most drivers.

Really hope that this helps!
Old 01-08-2010, 20:36

We had same party last year, 4 adults, 2 children, large pram, 4 suitcases plus lots of hand luggage. We hired the cheapest 7 seater we could get which was a Vauxhall Zafira and just crammed it all in, there are 2 folded seats tucked into boot area and my dad sat on one of these with a large bag on his lap and he was very squished but we managed, we didn't use the 7th seat. We are getting the same this year but not taking the large pram so dad shouldn't be as squished.
Old 01-08-2010, 20:43

7 seater Zafira: Just to clarify as I've double checked with hubby, we stacked 4 suitcases on top of each other and put them in boot space where the 7th seat was folded down, this left enough space in boot area for my dad to sit on 6th seat with a large bag on his lap. We had 2 children and one adult on back row and a pram in foot well, I guess if you really do need 5 suitcases it would not fit.