Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > BEFORE YOU GO > Car Hire, Airport Transfers in Majorca

Car Hire, Airport Transfers in Majorca Anything related to car hire both via UK companies and local companies. Can include discussions on motoring, bringing your own car, taxis, airport transport etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2010, 23:49

we use record a lot and have never had to queue that long .... i think the worse was about 30mins

I think I may know why ...... we always get really early morning flights and end up at the desk before 10am ..... I wonder if they get a backlog as the day goes on

Also we never go in August .... we go as soon as our school hols allow which tends to be mid July .... also go that time for the fireworks so maybe it is just an August thing

What I would say is that they have never let us down though some of the cars have been a bit past it ( and some have been brand new )

I do think that if I arrived and thought the queue was going to be that long I would probably go and try my luck at one of the other companies whilst leaving OH in the queue for insurance .... remember you don't pay them a penny until you get there so you lose nothing by going elsewhere ( except added cost as others tend to be a bit more expnsive ) Of course if there is a shortage of cars you may not be able to get another one from a different company at last minute

It would also be a good idea to let Record know what you are doing and the reasons why
Old 09-09-2010, 23:08

2 weeks ago there was a que at Record, we counted 132 people, which is disgracefull.
Old 09-09-2010, 23:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by cumberland8 View Post
2 weeks ago there was a que at Record, we counted 132 people, which is disgracefull.
I may well have been in that queue we were a party of 6 with only 5 seats (eventually). Son in law jumped on the Resorthoppa and was taking refreshment in Laguna before we got under way.
Old 10-09-2010, 00:05

A queue of 132 is madness

Did none of the other companies have any cars available ?

Just asking because I can't understand anyone bothering to wait in the queue unless there really was no other choice

Personally I think I may have just sacked the idea of having a car and jumped in a cab/bus

Has something changed at record or is this just an August or afternoon/evening thing ? As I sadi previously, we've used them loads and loads of times and never been behind more than 3 or 4 people ......... getting a bit worried for my next visit now in case we've just always been lucky and my luck is about to run out
Old 10-09-2010, 00:20

The popularity of the Record queue may have something to do with market forces.. their prices were extremely competitive, eventually. My first booking last November for 14 days in Aug/Sept was around 550Euros. I finally rebooked in July for 307euros and cancelled the original booking. Other firms were charging hundreds of Euros more.
Old 17-09-2010, 20:32

Default Record - No Thanks!

Used Record last week after using them before and not having had any problems. This time it was different though - the queue to pick up the car was massive We waited almost 2 hours (big queues at other desks aswell and no cars available at Sixt as I went and asked)and then our pre booked Ford Focus wasn't available so we got a Nissan Note which was pants. OH asked why and was told that as Record was the cheapest in the airport it was take what was available or go elsewhere. We didn't like the attitude of the staff, the queuing or the car so won't be using them again no matter how much cheaper. Also felt totally ripped off with the petrol as they charged us 80 euros when OH worked out it would have cost them 49 euros so that seems like a pretty big mark up
Old 18-09-2010, 12:10

Smile There is better and cheaper than record!!

A few years ago I was not pleased with Record and since then have been on a quest to find better. Trying quite a few different car hire companies.

I have now settled on BKrent a car who are relatively new to Mallorca, although have been established in Menorca and Ibiza for some time.

Apparently the owner started with a very large bicycle hire company and has now moved into cars! He obviously spotted a gap in the market for good car hire at reasonable rates.

We have just booked with them for the third time this year. As stated
in my previous post, I returned the car two weeks earlier than planned without any prior notice due to having to return the U.K. for family reasons. I fully expected to lose the balance but the staff were exceptional, and issued a full refund! That just does not happen with car hire companies!

An excellent company, helpful, friendly and caring staff.
Old 18-09-2010, 15:05

That's great Patsy - and through them knowing what customer care means and providing a good honest service, they will gain so much more custom as we now know about them!

Let the others learn!!!
Old 19-09-2010, 10:12

just checked with BK for my 4 day hire next week to see if viable alternative

134euros for a micra against records £40 for a fiesta................. whilst I have no intention of queuing for 3 hrs with record I think I will still take my chance, lets face it, if the queue is massive I can still get a cab one way and organise 2 resort hoppas for the way back and still have change from 134 euros

I don't really need a car whilst there so think it is a risk worth taking

Will post my "record " experience on return
Old 19-09-2010, 10:34

Yes, I checked their prices for our week in October and they are almost double what we are paying with Hertz and it would be for a smaller car. It's nice to get a good service, but it's just as nice to get a good deal
Old 19-09-2010, 10:39

Thats a shame, I thought we may have found a good alternative but if they are that much more expensive then I would rather que for a while and take my chances too.

Worth keeping in the background info box though as perhaps they will cut their prices in the future.
Old 19-09-2010, 23:45

Smile Contact bk direct for a deal

Hi,

Just to say that it is worthwhile contacting BK direct. Email or telephone and ask for the best deal.
134 euros for a micra for four days seems excessive. I would definately check that.

We have a Mercedes A class booked next week for 11 days at a cost of
185 euros. Last time we got a free upgrade.

Good luck
Old 26-09-2010, 19:15

Well for some reason ( must do some good somewhere that I just don't recognise ) I am still living a charmed life as far as Record are concerned

Arrived in Palma airport last Thursday at just after midday ( 21/2 hours later than planned due to our lovelly French cousins )

Moved as fast as my middle aged bones allowed and got to the Record Desk ahead of anyone else from our plane

Queued for less than 5 mins; got a lovelly Peugout 207 with only about 4,000 on the clock and was sitting in Iru with Tapas for 2 and a bottle of chilled white before 2pm
Old 26-09-2010, 20:05

CD - you must have a nice smile lol

I think the quickest it has taken us with Record is about an hour and we thought that was good!
Old 27-09-2010, 09:08

Yes I think you are right! You must have preferential treatment cd, lucky girl. Son tried record and the queue was horrendous - time, tide and plane wait for no man!