Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > BEFORE YOU GO > Car Hire, Airport Transfers in Majorca

Car Hire, Airport Transfers in Majorca Anything related to car hire both via UK companies and local companies. Can include discussions on motoring, bringing your own car, taxis, airport transport etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2010, 19:53

Unhappy Car Hire Prices

I have been looking at car hire prices for the summer. I normally book a car for approximately one month during July/August but have been amazed at the increase in prices since last year (doubled). Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced and reliable car hire company that they have used on a regular basis. I feel that people are going to be shocked at the prices being quoted by the leading Spanish websites.
regards
Bedfordboy
Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-2010, 09:47

Hubby saw some good deals albeit for beginning of July but via Alpha rooms site. Don't know what he was looking at, he just commented they looked good price.
Old 03-03-2010, 12:50

Hi Bedfordboy,

You will see loads of anecdotal tales on this sight re recommended car hire companies and which are cheaper etc.
My own opinion, based on our car hire disaster last summer is to go for reliable and not cheap! I wouldnt go for a company that doesnt ask for payment until arrival. They inevitable overbook cars as a certain percent will not show. If you have a late flight on Saturday in the summer your car may be given to someone else who arrived earlier! WE had a car booked through Villa Parade with Goldcar last July and that is exactly what happened to us.
I would choose Avis or Eurocar and pay in advance, Yes you pay more but at least you will have car. There is nothing more stressful than arriving at the airport at 11pm to be told there are no cars left on the island and you will have to get a taxi to your villa in Pollensa! AND may have to get taxis for the entire fortnight of your holiday if a car cannot be found (luckily one was through Vanrell car hire)
If going out of season I would recommend Vanrell car hire in Alcudia, they do airport pick up at no extra cost and no rip off fuel charges.
PS This is not just a Mallorca issue, it is all Spain and most of the Med!

Good luck
Old 03-03-2010, 12:55
Banned

Hi Bedfordboy

On my last few visits I've used Record car hire based actually in the airport. Cheap and cheerful but interesting point as above about the overbooking. I've not encountered that problem but then I've never been to PP in peak season.

The best most efficient one I've used is Sixty. But then you get what you pay for !!

Happy hunting.
Old 03-03-2010, 16:43
Founder

There are several suppliers & comparison sites at www.puertopollensa.com/car-hire-majorca.html
Old 03-03-2010, 17:08

On our last few visits we have used Motos Formentor (actually based in Pollensa). They aren't as cheap as Record but they certainly aren't amongst the most expensive. We have found them to be very reliable and the cars are of good quality - big advantages are that you return the car with the same amount of fuel it had when you collected it, and that there is no paperwork to fill in. You can actually pick the car up from a bay at the airport car park - so no queuing at the desk. At busy times this can take a couple of hours and it is an irritating start to the holiday, particularly if you have children... Then you simply pop into their office during your holiday and pay. Admittedly we have always booked the car via our villa's managing agent but I assume it is the same arrangement if you book direct.
Old 03-03-2010, 18:28
Banned

Hi Kate

That sounds too good to be true !! I assume you do all the correspondence on line but how do you then pick up the keys and get the car ? Do they have some kind of office at the airport ?

Cheers,

Nick
Old 04-03-2010, 10:20

The cars are parked on one of the top floors of the airport car park and on the way up there is a little booth on one of the staircases - which seems to be open very early in the morning and I assume late at night - which holds the keys until you arrive. I think the booth is for the use of all car park customers, not just car hire, but they simply hand the keys over - we get an early flight and there is never a soul around, let alone any sort of queue. Then all you do is pay for the time the car has been parked - which isn't very expensive as it has only been there for an hour or so. We can be off the flight and into the car in half an hour - if there are no delays at baggage reclaim.

I admit it does sound too good to be true - the first time we used them I was on tenterhooks, wondering if the car would be there and what we would do if it wasn't - but we have had no problems at all. As I said the cars supplied have been newer and cleaner than those we have had from Record.

They have an office in Pollensa and I think one somewhere in Palma itself but as far as I know there isn't one actually at the airport. We do all the paperwork at the Pollensa office during our stay, which takes about five minutes. I'm assuming it is a similar procedure if you book direct rather than via a holiday company - as they don't have an airport desk I guess it must be.
Old 04-03-2010, 11:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by kate1 View Post
They have an office in Pollensa and I think one somewhere in Palma itself but as far as I know there isn't one actually at the airport. We do all the paperwork at the Pollensa office during our stay, which takes about five minutes. I'm assuming it is a similar procedure if you book direct rather than via a holiday company - as they don't have an airport desk I guess it must be.
I think you must mean Puerto Pollensa as I can't think of an office in Pollensa.
Old 04-03-2010, 12:51

Sorry yes - I did mean PP - it's on a corner, on the seafront, fairly near to BK.
Old 04-03-2010, 17:33
Banned

Thanks for that kate. I think I know now where their hire shop is in PP. I may well give them a go, I can't stand queing !!!

With no proper office at the airport though the only worry is if they've not got you checked in !!

Worth a try though.
Old 04-03-2010, 17:55

We have used them many times and never had any problems.
They are very nice people to deal with and make the whole process simple.
Cars have always been fine too and it is nice to know they are local should something happen.
Old 20-03-2010, 12:47

A good site for car hire and flights is skyscanner - found easy and good to use.
Old 20-03-2010, 13:38

Default Car Hire

We can only speak as we find. For many, many years we have used Auto's Estrallas for cars from the airport. I think they are based in Manacor but have a guy at the airport who meets you, does the business and gives you the keys to the car which is parked on level 4 of the car park. You pay by credit card on arrival and there is no upfront charge for petrol. If you leave the tank full then fine but if not they will fill it for you and charge your card - we have never felt we have been overcharged and now just let them do it (saves the hassle). They are very reasonable, certainly for regular customers, and we must have used them 50 odd times over the years. There is never a queue at the airport on arrival and you simply leave the car on level 4 when leaving with the keys locked in the boot. They are well worth a try but I think the policy this year should be to book as far in advance as possible due to a shortage of cars generally because to the economic situation.
Old 20-03-2010, 13:59

We have used this company three times and each time have had trouble. We found there to be no back up when we had a fault with a car. We had to wait for the car to be repaired as no other car was available.

We gave the benefit of doubt and tried again. This time they 'forgot us' at the airport and we then had to wait nearly three hours for someone to eventually turn up with a car that was at least 100 years old.

The final time - was last summer when car hire was not so good. We payed well over the odds to get a car which they then said was an up-grade. Again this car was about 100 years old, was filthy dirty inside and out, smelt horrid and made the most awful noise. We were stuck with it as no other was available. The rental price was probably 3 times what the car was worth if they managed to find a buyer!!

Personally I would not use this company again. 3 times is 3 too many chances in my opinion. Our time on the Island is valued. As owners we have many other problems to attend to when visiting without taking chances with car rental.

Perhaps we were just unlucky - but I will always use Terry's now. Have many times and never had problems and brilliant people to deal with.