Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > BEFORE YOU GO > Car Hire, Airport Transfers in Majorca

Car Hire, Airport Transfers in Majorca Anything related to car hire both via UK companies and local companies. Can include discussions on motoring, bringing your own car, taxis, airport transport etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2009, 23:20

Default Car Hire - issues

This is my 4th trip here this year, each car hire has been a disaster.
The location of my apartment means I need a car. Some of trips involve a 'must have' berlingo or similar as I have my parents with me, and Dad is in a wheelchair.. so I need this type of vehicle to take the chair, luggage & ppl. When I arrived on the 25th oct to collect my berlingo... they couldnt give me one. Apparently all berlingos from Record were being sold on the 1st of Nov.. Im here till the 6th. all they could offer me was a 10seater Transit Have no problem with that (done plenty of 'white van lady and luv it !) but it is parking...they are a hassle cos they are so long. Almost 3 hours later, I did get a berlingo......but not a regular hire car, Im sure... it has wheel trims Lol and nae stickers.
All in all this year, I really think that if I didn't own an aparment here, I really would be looking elsewhere. It is no pleasure to arrive at Palma with a feeling of dread, what's gonna happen this time with the car hire. And all of this is apart from the increased cost !
I am back out in Jan, again with my parents and to be honest haven't booked a car yet cos I just have no idea where/who to book with that is reasonably priced and reliable.
I am getting to the point where I think I need to buy a car... just to avoid the hassle.... but don't know how that would work... any advice welcome

And just like to add.. that even tho this trip (as with all the others) got off to a bad start...it has been absolutely great with terrific weather to boot

Miriam
Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-2009, 17:01

I personally think the car hire will drop next summer, the car hire companies didnt renew the fleets so big shortage on cars then the greedy bxxgers put the prices up!!! fingers crossed there will be loads of cars to hire and there will be oversupply and cheaper prices,
Old 04-11-2009, 17:02

I always use goldcar never had problems even when doing a shortbreak..
Old 05-11-2009, 07:29

Have a look at Goldcar now for next summer focus for 2 weeks next summer £700!!!!! wont be having a car next year.
Old 05-11-2009, 14:36

well wont be having a car, this year stayed for 4 weeks and got a better deal elsewhere than goldcar.. spoke to a friend at the weekend and they pay upfront for so many weeks a year and get a good deal
Old 05-11-2009, 18:18

We have had two very favourable experiences this year with Rent a Car Formentor - their office is near Burger King on the seafront in Pollensa. We just paid 384 euros including tax for eleven days for a Fiat Doblo - obviously this would be more in August though. Can't remember what they charged us for two weeks at Easter but it was less than 500 euros I am sure. There are two advantages with this company over some others: you return the car with the same amount of fuel you had when you picked it up - our Doblo used scarcely any fuel so this cost us hardly anything; and, most importantly, you don't have to join a massive and stressful queue at the airport in order to collect it. Instead you go to a special desk on the top floor of the multi storey car park at the airport and they give you the key and tell you where it is parked on the third floor. The whole process takes ten minutes as opposed to two hours... We've been really impressed with both cars we have had - almost new and pretty clean - and best of all we can be on the road very shortly after we have picked up our luggage. I think they have a website at RENT A CAR FORMENTOR ALQUILER DE COCHES EN PUERTO POLLENSA MALLORCA.
Old 05-11-2009, 21:37

Kate1

Tried that link and for next summer the same car 800 plus euros you will be in for shock after this year the same us as we only paid 300 this year.

moosey

you say that you always use goldcar then say you got a better deal!!! so who is this good deal with?

Cheers

Rangers1
Old 05-11-2009, 22:54
Founder

Have a look at the comparison site Car Rentals co I've just searched for cars for a 2 week period in the summer & they start at around £360 for the smallest car. Even larger cars are not that much more & their selection includes Sixt who I'm pretty sure are ON airport.
Old 06-11-2009, 08:00

Pollensa

I have used that but as we have 4 adults some of these cars are to small. I use the links almost daily but the cost of a focus ranges from £582 to £800 cost of a berlingo ranges from £610 to £750 and thats before you add all the extras on!!!.

Although we are going for 16 days if you take off those 2 extra days the cost onlt comes down by £40 to £50.

We are currently going with the thought that we should do the hoppa and hire a car for a couple of days or so.

Can i ask of the lucky people that live in PP there is a hire shop just along from Bar Coral and opposite ORA-Player who we have used whilst in PP run by a nice guy called Juan could someone get me his e-mail address as i might try him for a car.

Thanks

Gordon
Old 06-11-2009, 10:15

Hi Rangers
Cant remember the company name but have got there telephone number , they are english and basically they sell second hand cars , so cars that I assume are in the forecourt get hired out.. theres no daft fuel policy etc .. they meet you at the airport etc..if you want the number send me a private message.. think i paid for 4 weeks rent about and just over 4weeks about 700 squid
Old 06-11-2009, 10:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosey View Post
I personally think the car hire will drop next summer, the car hire companies didnt renew the fleets so big shortage on cars then the greedy bxxgers put the prices up!!! fingers crossed there will be loads of cars to hire and there will be oversupply and cheaper prices,
Think you may be optimistic as a couple of the firms I have spoken to are having difficulties selling their used stock so the money just hasn't come in for them to buy new cars plus the Spanish goverment scrappage scheme does not extend to 'fleet' cars. They are either selling their used cars well below what they consider to be market value or hanging onto them. The hire car companies have seen a similar return this year (+1.3%) with a reduced fleet/overheads BUT a higher average rental cost so if it worked for them this year why should it change next year?
Old 06-11-2009, 14:03

oh well nice to be on the optimistic side.. well purchasing a car will be my answer i think!
Old 06-11-2009, 14:31

I must say, Sun Properties, that I was also thinking along these lines. If the rental companies are charging more for fewer cars and making the same or better money, why satisfy demand? It's a no brainer for any business.

Our July/August car hire comes part of a package with Villa Parade, Avis this time (who I've never used), but we do usually have a second car as there are six of us. This is looking pretty pricey with Goldcar and the usual suspects, in fact Villa Parade's own second car deal seems to make sense. However, I'll have a look at the Rent a Car Formentor suggestion (thanks Kate1), which looks interesting - especially if car hire queues can be avoided!

At least we've got the flights booked and paid for (Liverpool with Easyjet and similar to last year for four of us. Gatwick for the other two and WOOOHH more expensive than last year).

Thanks to everyone contributing to this thread becuase it is really useful.

Cheers.

Duncan
Old 07-11-2009, 00:27

RanGers1

Have you tried moneysupermarket or expedia?

Adios

Dave
Old 07-11-2009, 08:55

Thumbs up

Dave

Yes i have and these are no better. I will keep looking and if i get a good deal then i will let people know.

Thanks to all for the help so far.

Gordon