Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > BEFORE YOU GO > Car Hire, Airport Transfers in Majorca

Car Hire, Airport Transfers in Majorca Anything related to car hire both via UK companies and local companies. Can include discussions on motoring, bringing your own car, taxis, airport transport etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2009, 20:08

Default In Praise of Goldcar

There has been a lot of discussion about the cost and availability of hire cars this year, so I thought a bit of good news might hit the spot.

Just got back from 2 weeks in PP and, for the umpteenth time, I booked car hire with the ever excellent Goldcar and, apart from the usual lengthy queue (which I'm now used to), I must say that I was again very satisfied.

We were offered a Mercedes A Class, which I didn't think would be big enough for our luggage, and when I pointed out that we had ordered an estate was given a Citroen C4 Picasso diesel automatic. This car had less than 3,000 Kms on the clock and every possible extra, individual climate control for rear passengers, park assist, paddle shift auto, refridgerated glove box. These things cost over £21, 000 in the UK so I guess Goldcar have bought a "job lot".

The cost for two weeks including a tank of fuel (yes I know some people hate this but I prefer not to have the hassle, and we did return it with a bit of fuel in, but never mind) was just over 400 Euros and very similar to the cost of the Ford C-Max we had last year.

I know some people have posted comments about there being some pretty crummy cars around this year, lack of availability and increased costs, but I have never, ever been let down by Goldcar. They paid up in cash for a replacement for a blown out tyre last year without any quibble at all. I wonder if they favour regular customers? They always seem to know that we are regulars.

I'm sure we could find something cheaper, but better the devil you know I say! And PP just as good as ever.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-2009, 08:06

we got a picasso c4 as well this year...enjoyed cruising round in it, but wouldn't buy one for uk use...lots of bells & whistles, but poor quality finish/fittings for such a price

Goldcar keep your details, so always know when you return, we've had upgrades before

this year they were giving out the keys at the airport desk rather than the office in the car park - saves a further 10 mins

I would always recommend them
Old 08-07-2009, 14:53

Hi yes we too always use goldacr and got a c4 with 12 kms on!! brand spanking new.. never had a prob
Have had a quote off them for 4 week hire... expensive just for a smallest small car.. bur has anyone used euromax.. i have had a really good quote
Old 09-07-2009, 20:34

You're right about Citroen build quality SMG...though I think you missed my point.

I wasn't saying what a great car it was (I don't think I'm going to deal my Porsche for a C4 Picasso any time soon!)......just that it was a far better car than the usual boring wheezy, diesely, hatchbacky little tin boxes that hire car companies usually supply in volume, and nice to have something interesting, comfortable and a little further up the "food chain"!
Old 09-07-2009, 22:14

I agree entirely - I enjoyed driving it for our trip, the best hire car we've had , credit tio Goldcar, just wouldn't want one fulltime
Old 10-07-2009, 07:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disorderly View Post
You're right about Citroen build quality SMG...though I think you missed my point.

I wasn't saying what a great car it was (I don't think I'm going to deal my Porsche for a C4 Picasso any time soon!)......just that it was a far better car than the usual boring wheezy, diesely, hatchbacky little tin boxes that hire car companies usually supply in volume, and nice to have something interesting, comfortable and a little further up the "food chain"!
Hi there

Do you take a sticker with you to put in the back window saying 'my other car's a Porsche' !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Joke)
Old 10-07-2009, 13:15

Joking apart, Rosie, many years ago I actually saw a sticker in the window of a Porsche that read "my other car is a clapped out Morris Minor". I enjoyed that, as at the time that's exactly what I had - a clapped out Morris Minor!

Sorry to go "off agenda" Pollensa!!!!
Old 03-09-2009, 09:41

Myself and 3 friends are going out in mid October for a golf trip so need an estate car. I went to Doyouspain.com and have got a Ford Focus Estate with Goldcar for 147 Euros, which seems reasonable for 6 days.

It's good to read the positive stuff on here about Goldcar, it's also good to discover that I'm not having to pay more than 1,000 Euros for a hire car as some people have recently in Mallorca!
Old 03-09-2009, 10:32
Founder

Am afraid I have some not so good news on Goldcar but it only relates to the fuel policy & not the car itself - which was a Ford Ka as booked.

Their fuelepolicy is now, as for other companies, full-full for bookings of 3 days or less. When we collected the car (3 weeks ago) we asked for this & woman at the desk said fine. But after paying I noticed that we had been charged over 200 EUR for 3 days (quote was for 153 euros, the best we could get at short notice) & saw we had been charged 56 EUR for fuel. I went back & queried it & was told it would be refunded when it was returned. We weren't happy about this as there was nothing noted on the voucher.

When we returned it, we made sure that we had filled it up completely at the airport petrol station. On handing in the keys, we requested the refund & was told vaguely that it would be done by Head Office. They were making no move to inspect the car. Someone else returning his car was insistent that the car be checked for no damage & they were being quite difficult. Eventually someone checked the car & scribbled on our voucher that it was returned OK with 8/8 fuel.

Two weeks later no refund had appeared. I accessed their website & found a customer services form with even an option to request the fule refund. I raised the ticket, got an automated email saying it would be dealt with & that I could track progress online but the ticket shows as 'finalised' as soon as you raise it! I also sent a separate email. A few hours later I received an email saying that the request had been passed to the Mallorca office.

Yesterday I noticed an anonymous refund on our bank statement for only 42 eur. I don't know if this was from Goldcar but if it is then they have withheld 14 eur & if it isn't it... I have emailed again but this is not looking good.

Anyway, the car itself was fine but after this we are unlikely to use them again.

Has anyone else had a short trip full-full option recently?
Old 03-09-2009, 21:11

I would say avoid them at all costs. I was charged 70 Euros to fill a Ford Fiesta Diesel (45 Litre tank).

When I questioned the pricing policy I was told pay up or no car.

Fair play to Villaparade who sorted me out very well when I complained on my return to the UK.
Old 03-09-2009, 21:54

Hmmm - don't know what to make of the conflicting advice on here
Old 04-09-2009, 08:48
Founder

I don't think that the quality of their cars is any different to any others this summer & they all seem to be trying to overcharge on the fuel. We were charged 56 EUR for a Ford Ka. You may find the others are also charging 70 for larger cars?

Re our fuel refund issue I've now been told that their system showed is as being returned 6/8 full (I wonder why...) so I've now sent a scan of the voucher where they noted it being returned 8/8...
Old 04-09-2009, 17:24

This year I used Auriga Crown and they seem to be operating a full/full policy at the moment even though it was a 2 week hire. Person on the desk said they had a problem with petrol this year.

I'm not sure how they are controlling it as the person on tthe desk just said it's full/full or if it's only half full bring it back the same, strange.

When I returned the car other than asking if everything was ok with the car, he wasn't interested.

Timberman
Old 19-09-2009, 21:46
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollensa View Post
Re our fuel refund issue I've now been told that their system showed is as being returned 6/8 full (I wonder why...) so I've now sent a scan of the voucher where they noted it being returned 8/8...
As a follow-up to this I have only just received the refund of the missing 14 euros after several emails & tickets on Goldcar's customer services system & sending a scan of the marked contract twice.

So be warned if you manage to get Full-Full & need a refund, make sure the car is checked when you return & that they confirm it was returned 8/8 full on your contract (so you have a copy) & that they note it down in their office as well. What a pain.
Old 20-09-2009, 18:52

Unhappy Centuaro as well!

We had a car from Centauro for 2 weeks in August. Good car and were told to bring the car back full. Seemed great to me although we would probably use a full tank anyway over 2 weeks. When we brought it back it was checked meticulously (as Centauro always do) and everything was fine including the tank being full.
When we got back I found they'd charged my VISA for 14 euros. This must have been for fuel because that's the only reason they swiped my card!!!! Of course I didn't bother trying to get such a small amount back but I wonder how many times they try this trick to make extra revenue. We all seem to suffer at the hands of the hire companies nowadays. I'd never had any problem prior to 2008.