Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > BEFORE YOU GO > Car Hire, Airport Transfers in Majorca

Car Hire, Airport Transfers in Majorca Anything related to car hire both via UK companies and local companies. Can include discussions on motoring, bringing your own car, taxis, airport transport etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2009, 12:42

Default Car hire 2010

I know its a long way off but i have been looking a different sites and the ones that do have cars on for next summer it seems record are good value.

Just wondered what others thought about booking now or wait for others but then the price may have gone up.

Record have a focus for £418 for 16 days which i thought was not bad ( i know not as cheap as last year.....)

So what do others think???

Cheers

Rangers1
Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-2009, 13:31

Red face

I think we're going to wait. A lot of the comments on this site suggests people (and others who have used our apartment this year) have chosen to go with transfer companies such as Resorthoppa and Transferstore. They have had very good and cheap service. I think that the Car Hire companies might get a lot less business next year and might have to get competitive again............but I could be very wrong!
Old 05-09-2009, 13:44

The problem over the last year has been the reluctance of the hire companies to commit to new purchases given the recession. They all thought the car hire market was going to be doom and gloom and they wouldn't be able to rent out even their depleted stock. This wasn't the case and particularly at Easter and high summer there was a distinct shortage of cars which allowed the rental companies to exploit the rental level to the extent that I have heard of people paying £400 a week for a Smart 2 seater and £2,000 a week for a BMW 520i. To be fair renters have had it good in the past, if shopping around you could get a small car (Fiesta/Ka) for £50 a week in the winter and £150 a week in the summer. Given the depreciation, wear and tear etc the companies were not making any money at this level and they looked to make up the 'shortfall' by adding in excess insurance charges, petrol surcharges, 2nd driver charges and excessive charges for baby seats, roof racks or sat nav.

Unfortunately having proven this year that they don't need to splash out on new cars and still get decent rental prices the trend is likely to continue so you are best to book as early as you can so long as you are happy with the deal.
Old 11-09-2009, 15:02

From today's (11.09.09) Bulletin....

Car hire firms are increasing their profits this year despite crisis
STAFF REPORTER

PALMA
CAR hire companies at Palma airport increased their profits between January and July this year by 7.15 percent in comparison with the same period in 2008, but they also claim that operating costs have increased.

Bulletin readers will be furious about their increased profits, judging by the large number of letters the newspaper has received complaining about the lack of availbale vehicles and the high prices this summer.

Car hire company association Baleval confirmed yesterday that based on information provided by the Spanish Airports Authority (AENA), the total amount invoiced during the first seven months of this year by these companies exceeded 40 million euros. This upturn in profits at a time of full recession has been due to reduction in numbers within the car hire fleets and price increases imposed during June and July. This made up for the slump in trade experienced during the early part of the year, explained Baleval.

Businesses have calculated that the total number of cars available for hire on Majorca this summer numbered some 33'000 which is about a third less than there were last year. In terms of prices, Baleval said that they have increased by an average of 11 percent in comparison with last year although at times of peak demand, they have gone up by as much as 25 percent.
Old 12-09-2009, 00:30

When in PP last week, OH was changing money in AUTOS LAGOON S.L and got chatting about carhire. We have been quoted 25euros to pick the car up from airport( presuming each way) and to give them a call in advance for a quote.

Anyone dealt with them ?

Miriam
Old 21-09-2009, 11:55

Last year we waited until nearer Xmas as the prices at this point seemed high compared to normal. Many operators for flights and car hire haven't got real price strategies in place at this time. It paid off with us booking a car for a month for £375... 4 door SEAT Ibiza, air con etc.
It may not be the case this year, but I'll hold my nerve a little longer...
Good luck all!
Old 30-09-2009, 07:24

Quick update on my post the prices have now gone up a berlingo 2 weeks ago for 16 days next summer was £353 now its £535!!! a focus estate is now £585 to £628!!!!

so i think it will transfers for us next year
Old 30-09-2009, 21:37

Wink Europcar price guarantee

I've just noticed that Europcar have a "find a better price...and we'll refund double the difference". Well.....
I've just found the same car at Recordgo for £90 cheaper for a week next May so I've just pasted both quotes onto an email to Europcar customer services and asked them for my reduction of £180. Something makes me think they'll have a cute response for me.......but, I'll let you know what happens.
Old 01-10-2009, 10:08

Please do! We always use Europcar with no real problems, which is a big bonus as hate wasting time at the airport with car problems before you even start your holiday. It will be another bonus point to them if they honour their agreement with no problems too!
Old 01-10-2009, 10:36

Default Car Hire

Seems their profits increased this year, so, no need for them to change their policy Afraid the ridiculous prices now being quoted mean Smiddy's days of car hire are now over. Something that does not perturb me in the slightest. PLENTY of other options.
Old 01-10-2009, 11:35

Unfortunately I dont think we could do without a car! Love being able to go anywhere in the Island whenever we feel like it, and even pop to the shops for a full load. Its the freedom of personal choice a car gives you, although we will definately be looking at prices a little more closely.
Old 01-10-2009, 11:52

Default Pricing 2010 - Other options

Planning to go back next year alright, but if the rental car prices are getting even more expensive it'll be a case of combining the other options.

Most likely Resorthoppa for transfer and then Bus and Taxi for anything else.

It's great to have the car for shopping in the supermarkets and the odd excursion, but we were lucky with the weather this year and the car was sitting there for most of the time.

We usually stay close to the Pollensa Park Hotel so we're not that dependent on a car.
Old 01-10-2009, 12:32

Are there any local car hire companies that rent out at a daily rate - with decent cars? May be an alternative.
Old 01-10-2009, 19:36

We always book with Goldcar and have never had any problems. We had already booked with them for September but OH decided to check carjet to see if he could get a cheaper quote. He did by just over £100!! We contacted Goldcar and they matched the quote so we were very happy and will continue using them

Good luck ryansclan hope you have similar success
Old 03-10-2009, 18:25

Hi Rangers 1, Why not book now and pay a small cancellation premium or book with a company that accepts payment on arrival. That way you can edge your bets and cancel if prices were to come down! Play them at their own game!