Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > BEFORE YOU GO > Car Hire, Airport Transfers in Majorca

Car Hire, Airport Transfers in Majorca Anything related to car hire both via UK companies and local companies. Can include discussions on motoring, bringing your own car, taxis, airport transport etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2009, 23:05

Question Car hire at Airport

Can anyone advise me of the best car rental company to hire from and pick up at the airport. I have tried various companies but the prices are sky high. I also worry that some of the less well known companies may be unreliable
Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-2009, 10:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragdollabbi View Post
Can anyone advise me of the best car rental company to hire from and pick up at the airport. I have tried various companies but the prices are sky high. I also worry that some of the less well known companies may be unreliable
Hi, hate to put a downer on this, but if your leaving car hire to the last moment and picking up at airport your highly unlikely to find anyone who has got any cars at all. All the car hire companies under ordered their fleets due to the recession. If your lucky enough to find a car it will be at least double last years prices. The BBC mentioned there is one van available at Palma Airport with one of the car hire companies and they were charging £500.00 a week for it!!!!
Best options for you are to use either a taxi or the far cheaper resort hopper and maybe try local car hire companies in your resort.
GOOD LUCK and try and book earlier next year!
Hopefully the car hire companies will have learnt their lesson.
Old 09-08-2009, 11:20

Quote:
Hopefully the car hire companies will have learnt their lesson.
I fear it may be a sign of things to come.
Let's face is, by reducing their stock, the car hire companies are reducing their overheads whilst creating a demand.
They are selling out week on week and commanding a vastly inflated price.
Sounds much more cost effective to me
Old 09-08-2009, 12:26

Record currently quoting 1000 euros for a Berlingo for fortnight commencing 22nd Aug. I booked in January for 226 euros. Gulp! I presume they will be hounouring the booking?
Old 09-08-2009, 19:42

Out of curiosity I checked out Aotos Roig to see what they were charging currently. This week nothing is available - next week virtually all that was available was a 5 series BMW over 2000 euros a week

With all the cash back incentives, etc you could almost buy a car for that

GG
Old 09-08-2009, 19:43

Have to agree Ringspin.

Car hire companies will be raking it in this year. No capital expenditure on new cars, two to three times the 'normal' rate, every car rented out. It almost makes purchase of a used car viable if you are out a few times a year!.

Adios

Dave
Old 09-08-2009, 22:25

Exclamation Car hire at Airport

Thanks for your replies. We do not go until October and I have had some quotes but the prices quoted are 3 times the price of last year!! Just wondered if Carjet for example were reliable enough with their choice of companies or should we stick with say Hertz?
Old 10-08-2009, 07:31

Default Carjet

Se my other posting. Have used them since 2004 i think, and never had any problems. Lets hope they don't let me down now!!!
Old 10-08-2009, 21:07

Just to say this year we got a deal through Sealand villas as an extra to our 11 day 'villa only holiday' for a mere £250 we flew out mid July so snapped it up, like you we were getting prices doubled compared to last year. Our car was rented through Centauro which is off site (all be it 3 mins drive) - SO SIMPLE...mini bus waiting, arrived at the office booked in and drove off within half an hour which can be better than any queue at the airport.

can highly recommend both companies.
Old 10-08-2009, 23:11

Just returned after a fortnight on the island Ive been holidaying in pp for the last fourteen years in that time I have used quite a few hire companies, for the last few years Ive used Record go.
Never ever again will I visit the Island, this year I paid 877.73 euros for a bashed about smelly Ford Focus with 56000 thousand kms on the clock.
It is daylight robbery I for one will never return!
Old 11-08-2009, 09:26

This could have happened anywhere, please do not blame the beautiful island of Majorca.
Old 11-08-2009, 13:19

This is such a shame. My friend lost a booking on her apartment as the people were not prepared to pay so much money to rent a car. Other means of transport were not applicable as a member of the party was disabled.
I wonder if there will be an improvement next year. My worry is that if these car rental companies know that their prices are acceptable this year - which they will believe to be the case as all their cars are rented at high prices, then why will they drop them next year?
Old 11-08-2009, 14:02

Default car rental companies

I think that a lot of the rental car companies are trying to 'milk' the imbalance between available cars and high demand. It's a very short sighted view, as due to those inflated prices, late cancellations, lack of clean/new cars a good few people will either
- look at different car rental companies/agents and shop around
- look at combined offers (e.g. villa/apartment + car rental)
- take no rental car this year (where possible)
- book a smaller/cheaper car
- go for shorter rentals (e.g. transfer to hotel by bus or taxi, then rent car in resort)
- adjust other expenditure (meals & drinks) to make up for the higher car rental
- make different holiday arrangements altogether

Some people might find that their new arrangements are quite useful and change their booking habits for the future.

It will hurt the rental car companies in the long run as people do have long memories.

The last few years we might have seen an increase in the restaurant prices, now the tables are turned again and there are more special offers/MDD in that area.

We'll be out in September and our rental car is considerably more expensive than last time. No car wasn't an option, but with shopping around and getting a smaller car than originally planned it should work out OK.

Will it deter us from PP - not a chance
Old 11-08-2009, 14:55

As a regular visitor to Pollensa I am afraid as the cost of the car hire is really high it has detered us from visiting, it is last minute but we are able to go away next week so looked at renting a villa for a week, however when we looked at the cost of the car hire we have decided against it and booked instead to go to Italy. It does not mean we will never go back and we have already booked for New Year but on this occasion the cost of hiring a car has prevented us from visiting. The main car hire companies either did not have availability or wanted 800 euros for the week, bearing in mind the cost in general for villa hire and flights this time of year it was just not a feasible option.
Old 11-08-2009, 15:32

While we were there, the companies were saying in the Spanish press that they had cut the order for new vehicles by 20% to try and match the bookings they had, as they didn't want a lot of cars standing around unused. They say it has worked as supply is matching demand and there is enough to go around. Last minute extra bookings mean they have to charge more to find the supply, which may be why there have been more complaints about older vehicles being rented out. This is what they said, not my opinion, and also they quoted that there are 35,000 rental cars on the island, which is why you always seem to get stuck behind one on the twisty mountain bits