Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > BEFORE YOU GO > Car Hire, Airport Transfers in Majorca

Car Hire, Airport Transfers in Majorca Anything related to car hire both via UK companies and local companies. Can include discussions on motoring, bringing your own car, taxis, airport transport etc.

Like Tree10Likes
  • 4 Post By Big Sal
  • 3 Post By Gommar Goffer
  • 2 Post By Rockape
  • 1 Post By Bircho

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2018, 12:00

Default Spanish roundabout rules ARE different to UK

I'm surprised to find a very comprehensive guide relating to the equivalent of the Highway Code, file:///C:/Users/sally/Downloads/BOE-020_Codigo_de_Trafico_y_Seguridad_Vial.pdf. Images from page 142!

I have often questionned the various ways drivers tackle the roundabouts over here. When driving in Spain, the roundabout should be treated as if the road were straight and the left hand lane should only be used for overtaking.
The following explanation is taken from the Spanish equivalent of the Highway Code. 'When there is more than one lane on a roundabout, you will normally travel around the roundabout in the right hand lane – the outside of the roundabout'. So what exactly is the inside lane for? 'to carry out an overtake or if the lane is signed for your direction of travel'. And what should you if you’re on the inside and want to exit and someone is blocking your way? 'under no circumstances should a driver cut the course of other vehicles using the roundabout in order to exit from it'. So there you have it. Travelling right around the roundabout in the outside (right hand) lane is the correct way of doing it.

Spanish drivers are taught to drive using their mirrors without checking their blind spots. You should bear this mind and be particularly careful on motorways. You might find drivers just pull out onto the motorway from the slip road.

Also, worryingly I have had scary driving moments recently, where locals are cycling in the dark with no lights whatsoever. Be aware.

In addition, I have found some interesting information for some of the more unknown driving fines:
Putting on make-up, eating or setting a GPS while driving: 100 euro fine
Using a mobile phone: 200 euro fine and 3 points off your licence
Driving with your elbow out of the window: 100 euro fine
Driving barechested or barefoot: 200 euro fine
Driving on the inside or middle lane of a motorway when the outside lane is free: 200 euro fine
Needlessly sounding your horn: 80 euro fine (the horn should only be used to avoid an accident)
Having a "For sale" or "Se vende" sign on the window: 200 euro fine
Listening to excessively loud music: 80 euro fine
Driving barechested or barefoot: 200 euro fine
Out-of-date driving licence or no MOT certificate: 200 euro fine
Going through an amber traffic light: 80 euro fine (this is only permitted when it is impossible to brake)
Not having a spare of glasses if you need glasses for driving: 90 euro fine.
I've seen regular episodes of the above over here!
PP76, cumberland8, Bircho and 1 others like this.

Last edited by Big Sal; 05-10-2018 at 12:06.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-2018, 12:40

Excellent posting.

In general, I think that Spanish drivers are better than the UK.

However, the 'The Locals' don't miss an opportunity to show 'Us' how to drive on roundabouts. They certainly regard roundabouts as straight roads; I've been overtaken on both sides. Perhaps it would help if they regarded them as tight bends.

Do Spanish rules on using indicators on roundabouts differ too?
Old 05-10-2018, 13:02

Thank you for your kind feedback

In order to access a roundabout, although it is compulsory to indicate to the right, sometimes - especially if the next exit is very close- it is not recommended to indicate, in order to avoid other drivers wrongly thinking that you are going to take the next exit. If you are driving inside the roundabout, you should not be indicating to the left to indicate that you are still circumnavigating; only use it for changing lanes and indicate to the right to show the exit you are going to take.
Old 05-10-2018, 15:59

I still find it impossible to drive right around the "outside" of a roundabout when I'm doing a 270° turn!?

This is probably why I see so occasional foreign truck drivers wiping out english cars on dual carraigeways when the car "straight lines" the roundabout to go straight ahead.
Old 05-10-2018, 16:16

I can't believe that they fine you for driving with your elbow out of the window

Your bum, maybe....but your elbow
Sharonh, car77 and Big Sal like this.
Old 05-10-2018, 17:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gommar Goffer View Post
I can't believe that they fine you for driving with your elbow out of the window

lol.....yeah I saw that and couldn't believe it either. Good post Big Sal, cos I have been a bit bemused by the roundabout drive out there. It explains a lot.
Luckyone and Big Sal like this.
Old 06-10-2018, 10:36

Quote:

So you drive with one hand not having full control of your vehicle? Quite sensible if you ask me.

On this, just something I read the other day that made me smile:
"If you ever think your job is pointless, just remember somewhere in Germany there's a bloke who puts indicators on BMWs."
Mariquita likes this.

Last edited by Bircho; 06-10-2018 at 10:48. Reason: typo
Old 07-10-2018, 09:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bircho View Post
So you drive with one hand not having full control of your vehicle? Quite sensible if you ask me.

On this, just something I read the other day that made me smile:
"If you ever think your job is pointless, just remember somewhere in Germany there's a bloke who puts indicators on BMWs."
I think it is "lost in translation" a bit as I get the impression it means your whole arm out of the window.

It is easy to drive with 2 hands on the steering wheel and have an elbow resting on the door/out of the window.
Old 07-10-2018, 11:37

Quote:
I think it is "lost in translation" a bit as I get the impression it means your whole arm out of the window.

It is easy to drive with 2 hands on the steering wheel and have an elbow resting on the door/out of the window.
That is exactly the point!