Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > BEFORE YOU GO > Car Hire, Airport Transfers in Majorca

Car Hire, Airport Transfers in Majorca Anything related to car hire both via UK companies and local companies. Can include discussions on motoring, bringing your own car, taxis, airport transport etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2009, 20:02

Default Current Fuel Prices - Full Tank Fuel Policy

Heading out for a week on the 18th April and determined not to get stung with the car hire firms full tank policy.

If memory serves me well it was around the Euro per litre last October.

I noted from several posts regarding Goldcar from last year they looked to be vastly over charging for their full tanks. 80 Euros for a ford Focus (55 Litre tank) & 80 Euros for a Ford Fusion (45 Litre tank).

I fully intend to go armed with info on the tank size and current fuel price.

Can someone please advise current price per litre on the island.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-2009, 20:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del_RFC View Post
Heading out for a week on the 18th April and determined not to get stung with the car hire firms full tank policy.

I fully intend to go armed with info on the tank size and current fuel price.
Tried that with a few of the car hire firms .... it is there way of getting a bit extra. When I questioned the tank size on a Fiesta they said the extra cost covered their man taking it to the petrol station etc.
Old 06-04-2009, 20:22

Quick Google search on the most common models shows the below tank sizes.

May be of some use when picking up your cars.

Ford Fusion - 45 Litres
Ford Focus - 49 Litres
Ford Fiesta - 45 Litres
Ford C Max - 55 Litres
Vhall Corsa - 45 Litres
Vhall Astra - 52 Litres
Fiat Punto - 45 Litres
Citreon Berlingo - 60 Litres
Citreon C3 - 47 Litres
Citreon C4 - 60 Litres
Skoda Fabia - 45 Litres
Renault Clio - 50 Litres
Renault Megane 60 Litres
Seat Altea - 55 Litres
Seat Leon - 55 Litres
Seat Ibiza - 45 Litres
VW Golf - 55 Litres
VW Polo - 45 Litres
Old 06-04-2009, 23:06

I was charged 53 Euros for a full tank for a Berlingo with Record in February.

I recently posted that Holiday Autos show which companies have Full Full policy for fuel. However the quotes for these companies were higher than those with Full Empty policies.

If you will use the fuel, you are better off going Full Empty!!! despite our dislike of this!!

At least with Full Empty I wont repeat my experience of running out of fuel on the motorway near Inca when I misread the temperature gauge as the fuel gauge last year. What an admission(from a man!!)!!

My FlickR Photos
Old 06-04-2009, 23:56

I love it GL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I cant imagine what colour the air was !
And I think that ur really brave posting THAT on here !

But thanx for the info.. Im picking up the Berlingo from record on thursday... so now I have an idea what im gonna be charged for the fuel

Miriam

PS... had a look at the website.. and I think I really like the work and the sentiment behind each piece
Old 07-04-2009, 09:40

Takes a real man to admit when hes wrong - especially when cars are concerned , good for you, but can you wear pink!! LOL
Its very interesting about the tank sizes, something which as woman I hadnt really thought about! Using Europa car and diesel fuel, hubby actually overfills at PP before setting off to airport, then its on full by the time we get there. This doesnt work with petrol though as more is used in transit.
Old 15-04-2009, 07:24

From the Bulletin:

THE cost of petrol including tax in the Balearic Islands during February was 90.5 cents, slightly under the national average of 90.9 cents. Diesel (gasoil) cost 86 cents a litre during the same period, a price also slightly under the national average of 86.6 cents.

Note the differential, in favour of diesel. How many people bought diesels in UK on the basis that it was cheaper, to be promptly shafted by Grumpy Gordo & his bunch of............?

Why do we put up with it in UK? Who voted for these clowns?
Old 15-04-2009, 09:23
Founder

Please keep this thread on Car Hire Fuel Policy (& prices) in Mallorca - thanks.
Old 26-04-2009, 08:13

Just returned last night from an excellent week.

As expected I was met at Goldcar by a maiden in a stripey shirt and mask

The cost of a full tank on the Diesel Ford Fiesta (45 litre capacity) was 70 Euro's.

I enquired how they worked that out when fuel was sub 90 cent's a litre only to be told it is not her prices. Charging 1.55 per litre with an empty return policy is nothing short of robbery in my opinion.

Car was reasonable as was the service at the desk but avoid at all costs if you can find a company with a different fuel option.
Old 17-05-2009, 18:59

Snap re fuel, we booked with autoeurope and thought bargain Ģ89 week hire but ended up returning the car with over quarter of a tank left having paid 68 euros for it, way overpriced.
Old 17-05-2009, 20:53

Default Reasonable Record

We had a Fiat Punto diesel last week with Record. They charged a very reasonable 97 euros for the week (with my PP discount) and to be fair to them only charged me 34 euros for a full tank of Diesel! As usual, the car was a little scruffy and several small dents, (you have to remind the guy in the car park office and they stamp your form with whatever damage you choose to mark up- quite trusting really)
Of course after only a week I returned the car with tank over 1/2 full but overall 131 euros for a week including fuel- very reasonable in my opinion.
Old 17-05-2009, 21:48

We had a Ford Focus with Record last week and was an hour short of having it for 4 days but because it was over four nights we had to have the full empty policy. The car was 58 euros, they gave us a free upgrade to the next size car but, with petrol it came to 125 euros in total and we returned it with half a tank of fuel left in. I can not justify driving round and round just to burn fuel and my OH wanted to syphon it off but I have no idea what he was going to do with the fuel...I would use Record again but, I think they should just charge more for the rental rather than us consumers having another charge by stealth
Old 21-05-2009, 16:32

Got a Berlingo from Record at the moment. 60 euros to fill it - return empty, so initial (reasonable) rental plus tyre insurance then fuel came to 206 for the week. Only used as a wheelchair around PP and Pollensa so will be returning to airport tomorrow with best part of a full tank.
Donīt know what the answer is.
Perhaps if any local has a syphon pipe we could come to an arrangement before we leave PP...........
Old 25-05-2009, 07:54

Default avis

I have read many of your comments regarding fuel policy etc. Avis have a full/full policy so u just top up the tank before returning the car. I have just returned after a week and all it cost me was 15 euro when I topped the tank up. Another point that may be of use, like many people I set of for the car hire office leaving family to collect luggage. If you have prebooked with Avis when u get to the hire desk they send u straight over to the main office in the car park to do the paperwork and collect keys. Thats ok but when family turn up at the hire desk with bags u wont be there! And u cant get back in arrivals hall so u just hope they eventually come outside. With thousands of holidaymakers comming and going it was a little stressed ! Hope this helps others. Bye the way , the car and service from the staff were both very good
Old 17-03-2011, 14:23
Under Moderation

I rented a car from Gold car last year and was horrified when charged extra for insurance and 80€ for a full tank in a Fiesta, it was not the money but the principle of it, I am a resident in Spain so new that I could fill out a complaint form, I filled out a complaint form and dropped it off at the police station, they did nothing.
Does anyone actually know of a car company that does not follow this procedure of collect full at double the pump price and return empty?.

I want a collect full return full car hire company when I return in June 2011.

Last edited by Sparky; 17-03-2011 at 17:00. Reason: Potentially libelous remark removed.