Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > BEFORE YOU GO > Car Hire, Airport Transfers in Majorca

Car Hire, Airport Transfers in Majorca Anything related to car hire both via UK companies and local companies. Can include discussions on motoring, bringing your own car, taxis, airport transport etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22-09-2009, 23:43

Default Sat Nav hire

Hi, just a quick question from a newbie on the boards - am planning on visiting Pollensa in January for the first time, and will be hiring a car for 2 weeks. I wondered if Sat Nav is useful to have on the island, and if so does anyone know any companies that offer it? I followed EasyJet's linked to their car-site when booking my flights, but they don't look that cheap, and want nearly £200 extra to add Sat Nav to a 2 week car hire!!! I could buy my own for that price surely? So anyway, if anyone has done this or has any advice to offer, I'd be grateful,
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old 23-09-2009, 08:26
Founder

Hi there,

although I have a sat nav at home I don't bring it here. There are some good maps around for visiting the area & rest of Mallorca as well as street maps of the local towns when you arrive. We've managed fine without so I'm sure you'll be fine. You also get quite a different persepective when using maps! See Books, Maps, Travel Guides on Majorca for some good maps to buy before you arrive. There are also directions from the airport here Directions from Palma airport to Puerto Pollensa Majorca Mallorca
Old 23-09-2009, 13:50

Default SatNav worthwhile

If you want to drive around a lot or if have to find your way around late at night (and/or bad weather) than the SatNav can be useful too.
Some SatNav's will also show you places of interest / restaurants / petrol stations.

I brought my SatNav along again this year, as I already have a number of locations in Mallorca saved from previous visits and it's only a matter of selecting them from the list.

I agree too though that it can be interesting to navigate via maps and it gives you a different perspective.

If you buy a new SatNav make sure it has Maps for Europe and try it at home first as I can take a while to get used to. The rental price sounds very expensive.
Old 23-09-2009, 19:25

Like Mike, I have used my SatNav around Mallorca and found it very useful. If you have a passenger and they are happy with map reading and giving directions I wouldn't bother with one.

I wouldn't be without mine for driving in Palma city as my OH is not good with maps. You do have to watch though, in Pollensa itself it has taken me through some very narrow streets. If you change the vehicle type settings to bus or truck though you won't get caught out.

As far as costs go I would have thought you could pick one up on an auction site for under £100, but as has been said already make sure it has european maps.

Adios

Dave
Old 24-09-2009, 15:27

I always bring my sat nav with me on visits, and have found it a fantastic help and would not think of travelling around the island without it.
Old 02-10-2009, 12:59

Hi everyone thanks for such helpful replies (sorry it took me so long to check back here!) I think if anything I might invest in my own Sat Nav, as from experience of having the passenger navigate it can get rather heated! perhaps the £120 or so they cost would be worth it to remain on speaking terms during the holiday Also apparently you can use them on walks with GPS waypoints marked - another help for the poor navigators among us!