Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > BEFORE YOU GO > Car Hire, Airport Transfers in Majorca

Car Hire, Airport Transfers in Majorca Anything related to car hire both via UK companies and local companies. Can include discussions on motoring, bringing your own car, taxis, airport transport etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2008, 13:56

Default Airport Shuttle Service

Hi everyone, just want to pick your brains - bit of market research really. How many of you would genuinly be interested in using a shared shuttle service direct from airport to PP?? Local company hoping to set up direct and regular service but will be very reliable as have heard some of the palma companies are not so reliable as not so familiar with the routes. I wonder if car hire is really the favourite option for everyone?? How long are you willing to wait for the coach to leave after collecting your cases to save some money and stress of waiting in queues for cars and driving when tired or maybe paying for a car that you then do not use for most of your holiday.
This system would have local office in PP to wander into to confirm your return times and bookings will be on line or by phone if prefer.
Anyone got any thoughts on the subject as of course taxis are sooo expensive and due to increase considerably next year. Prices would be around 12 - 15 euros per person each way including insurance of course - a reduction for larger groups of 10.

stop press. AIMING TO HAVE BOOKING FACILITY SET UP DURING JANUARY SO DONT GO BOOKING WITH THE BIG GUYS UNTIL YOU HAVE SEEN OUR OFFER AND DETAILS . . . .

Last edited by JMD40; 04-11-2008 at 14:19. Reason: adding a comment
Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-2008, 17:54

Default airport shuttle service

I would be interested for sure. We have used taxis in the past and would always be our first choice but they are expensive especially when only two share cost. We almost always hire a car but only once in PP partly because we only want it for a few days not the whole holiday but mainly because I am too apprehensive to drive to/from the airport - the roads around Palma are sooo busy and the 'roads' within the airport itself seem so complicated. I am one of those drivers who hates city driving even in UK and I like to know in advance exactly which direction I'm going. This year (in Oct) we used one of the existing shuttle services for the first time - it was OK but we had to wait 55 mins. (in the minibus) which was too long - we were waiting for two pax arriving on a later flight - and would have been unbearable in the heat of summer. Also because our flight landed at 19.00pm we were impatient to get to PP to go to our planned restaurant to eat. I think I would be prepared to wait 30 mins max. I have to say that once we got going we were the first to be dropped off in PP and the return journey went without a hitch.
Old 01-11-2008, 19:10

Hi.

We would be interetsed, being a sales rep doing thousands of miles each year I don't like to drive on holiday. Have previously used a certain existing transfer company that proved unreliable, and have recently contacted a number of other companys for our transfer next Saturday all of which have quoted a figure in excess of a taxi transfer. We've also used Taxis Conde who we're great and we will probably use again next weekend, however if there was a relliable cheaper alternative we would book with them.
As easylife1 pointed out a taxi for just two people is expensive and this holiday the return transfer will cost more than the return flights (inc luggage & ins).

We also would be happy to wait approx 30mins.

Regards
Carl.
Old 01-11-2008, 22:01

Hi JMD

My parents would be interested in this service. I also think about 30 mins to wait is reasonable, or if it is going to be longer to be advised of that in advance.

Thanks

Sharon
Old 02-11-2008, 10:51

We normally use ResortHoppa, which on the whole have been reasonable & reliable, only one hitch when they wanted to pick us up for the return 5 hours before departure

We would definitely be interested in a local, reasonably priced company offering such a service. It is far better, in my opinion, to have small local rather than large multi-national company's.

We would think that a wait of up to an hour would be reasonable for a cost effective transfer (you can sit out in the sun whilst waiting), it would, however, be better to know that you would have a wait and approx how long.

Just tried to book Resorthoppa for this trip (Nov) and they are not offering coach transfers, only private transfers at an extortionate price, presumably because it is now out of season. How would you deal with the lower demands of the winter months?

There is definetely a gap in the market for a local tranport company, but not sure if the logistics would add up.

Good luck - I'll keep hoping
Old 02-11-2008, 12:21

My wife would probably use the service when she goes to PP without me, as she does not do driving on the right!! I will always rent a car if I'm going.

As Whaley said, it would be the out of season time that would probably prove critical in the success as alot of people pop over for just a few days out of season.

You can always wait in the bar under the car park!!
Old 02-11-2008, 12:53

I / my family / friends would be very interested in a small shuttle service to get to our apartment. Have used Resorthoppa in the past, used to be good, but this year we had long waits and then very long journeys around other resorts & long cross country (unnecessary) routes to get there. Online booking / Phone in confirmation at Port would be preferable. No more than 30 mins wait if transfer was then direct to PP, would be ideal!
Old 02-11-2008, 15:45

Default transfer

Hi

probably wouldn't use it myself , I like the freedom a car gives me

to those who have posted saying they are "apprehensive" about the drive from the airport - absolutely no need to be, I promise you the roads are MUCH easier to drive on than the roads in the UK ........ even my sister, who avoids motorways at home ( I kid you not, she has been driving for 20odd years and still goes miles out of her way rather than go on a morirway - despite being pretty "normal" otherwise ) , said she thought the drive from airport to PP was "do-able" - one tip is to use the directions on the forum if you are concerned about getting the correct motorway junction for Alcudia - this route gets you straight onto the Inca motorway.

Anyway, back to the topic - where I would find the service useful is for young relatives - we often have teenage daughter, nephews and neices and their friends who join us whilst we are out in PP and are forever driving backwards and forwards to Palma to avoid a high taxi cost for 1 person ( they are either too young to drive or too young to hire a car ) , if I knew I could book them on a reliable transfer , I would use it.

Looking at this in a wider context , the singles market alone would not be sustainable, so you would need to grab the market of Families who for whatever reason don't hire a car ......... so should pitch the wait time at less than 1 hour and the price low enough per person to make the inconvenience worthwhile ( ie cheaper for a familiy of 4 to use the shuttle than hire a cab ) ....... so I guess 15 euros would be the top end

good luck with your venture
Old 02-11-2008, 16:09

Would definately consider using service. Used private taxi transfers twice this year for my wife & I at 70 euros each way so now becoming expensive, Would like to think we wouldn't have to wait much more than 30mins. Could meet in cafe area near gate B where most of the taxi drivers wait.
Old 03-11-2008, 20:28

Well thanks so much too everyone for their thoughts and more or less your thoughts are the same as ours - many people drive too much in UK and definatley do not want to drive on holiday, some are not confident or do not want a huge car for the suitacases which then sits parked most of the week and we had also thought of the friends and family who join mid week. I doubt that it would be feasable off season -although maybe one or two a day to tie in with popular flights could be a possibility. Watch this space and as soon as we know more I will post info. We agree max. one hour wait - you would be told in advance approx. time and there is a nice bar to sit and watch the world go by - you often wait one hour to collect a car in Palma. the important aspect would be the personal and reliable service and local office with english or english speaking staff. Thanks again everyone and keep the thoughts coming. Not due to start until Easter as lots of set up to organise first.
Old 16-12-2008, 19:51

Default Transfers from airport

Cannot believe it was one month since I last commented on this. Just to say all looking good for an excellent service to Pollensa, PP and CSV and hope to have basic website set up in new year and then a bookable one as soon as possible. Will commence with a slightly restricted service and see the demand More info soon and an entry onto this website as local agent in new year. Private and shared transfers will be available to book at sensible prices - some of those prices being quoted seem excessive. Once again thanks to all for their input and wishing everyone a merry christmas. If rain persists we may swap the buses for boats!!!
Old 16-12-2008, 22:35

Another interested party here for next year. Cabs are expensive and car would not be required once in PP.
Old 17-12-2008, 22:29

Default Transfer from the Airport

Just talking about that today! Would definately be interested, could also spread the word and hopefully get more people intersested.
Old 21-12-2008, 17:57

Great - keep in touch.
Old 21-12-2008, 18:02

Transfers from Airport

We would definitely be interested.

The McGs