Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > BEFORE YOU GO > Car Hire, Airport Transfers in Majorca

Car Hire, Airport Transfers in Majorca Anything related to car hire both via UK companies and local companies. Can include discussions on motoring, bringing your own car, taxis, airport transport etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2008, 16:23

Default What the roads are like between P and PP - car hire or taxis?

Hi, I'm debating whether to hire a car or to rely on taxis - we've got a villa for two weeks in July, and we're 3-4KM outside Puerta Pollensa, the other side of the MA2200 from El Vilar if that helps?

I've had cars in Spain beofre and it's not always been a pleasant experience - our last villa in Nerja was perched up a mountain with a very perilous dirt track on the edge of a cliff, or so it felt!

Just wondered what the roads are like and whether people would recommend car hire or walking/taxi'ing.

Many thanks, Margaret
Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-2008, 18:24

Smile roads between pollensa and puerto pollensa

Hi Margaret

We have stayed in several villas around the area you are speaking of. Would recommend car hire the roads are excellent there is a main road between puerto pllensa and Pollensa old town straight and flat only downside is not much lighting when dark however fairly busy road so usually lights from other traffic. Getting taxis is relativly cheap , reliable and easy the telephone numbers for the local taxi firms are on this web site under taxis. Yoy should have no problems at all have a lovely time you will love it !!!!
Old 06-05-2008, 18:53

Hi Margaret, elainewalls is right you will be fine with a car, all the roads in the area are all very good, and being that far out of town you will find you will need it. Buses run up and down fom the port to the town, so if you want to its easy to get around in the evening if you leave the car at home. Hope you have agreat time
Old 06-05-2008, 19:42

I can't see you having any problem, providing you pick the right car hire firm (see separate posts).

It's best to be patient on the roads in Mallorca. The Spanish fall into two camps. The first are completely mental (more so the nearer Palma you get). The second (in my experience the majority) dither and wander about in no particular hurry and can't seem to cope with bends.

The other group to watch out for are the first time Brits remembering what side of the road to drive on and changing gear with the door handle.

Being serious, we've been coming for years and have never had any problem at all. However, if serious sightseeing is your thing, April or September/October are better months because the roads are so much quieter (if you ignore the masses of cyclists in April).
Old 06-05-2008, 20:16

Default Driving in Majorca

We pick up a car at the airport and have found that the new road is really easy to use and you now get to PP in no time at all now. With two kids it is so easy when you have your own car and staying in a villa, especially for shopping. The only thing that I don't like is 'hazards corner' in PP - this is where local drivers just stop opposite the taxi rank/ bus stop just off the roundabout at the marina, stick their lights on and deliver or go off to do thier shopping! However have discovered that you can turn right early and miss this corner off. I know that there is a new road at PP but not been on it yet.I am not that keen on driving here but will do so quite happily in Majorca as long as their is someone else in the car 'assisting'.
If you don't fancy driving from the airport their are companies who will deliver your car to your villa for you, if you view the other thread.
Old 07-05-2008, 12:04

We followed the directions on this site and couldn't believe how quickly we were in the port last year - fab - and very easy to follow.

The roads are really very good although if you are not used to it you do find your left arm waving about somewhat/ yourself wandering towards the hard shoulder. The drive to Formentor is great for views but somewhat scary! Not for the feinthearted - and yes it's worse being a passenger on the way back down - trust me!

Only problem I had was driving through a red light on the way down to the taxi rank/ roundabout. It is set high up above your head amongst the trees. Oh - and there is some funny rule about being allowed to go through a stop sign if the road is clear or something - anyone?

Lala
Old 10-05-2008, 14:53

Hi to all and many thanks for the great answers! Reading them through we think we'll go for a car, but we're tempted to get a taxi transfer to and from the airport, and pick up a car in PP - another poster said this was a more relaxing option, and I think I agree!

Thanks again for all the good advice and for putting my mind at rest - maybe see some of you out there in July!

While I'm on I wondered if anyone knew the bus numbers (if any) that run along the Pollensa to PP road (the MA220) - it looks like a bit of a trek to the road, (we had a look on the "location" tab at the Google map - http://www.villastogo.com/villa/vidr...ier&fsrc=home# but as elaine and sws says, it would be a useful alternative.....

Take care, Margaret

Last edited by margaret; 10-05-2008 at 14:59.