Pollensa Forum

Pollensa Forum (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/)
-   Car Hire, Airport Transfers in Majorca (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/car-hire-airport-transfers-majorca/)
-   -   My Suzuki vitara (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/car-hire-airport-transfers-majorca/2954-my-suzuki-vitara.html)

Carll 01-04-2008 14:05

My Suzuki vitara

Hi there,
I brought my UK registered suzuki Vitatra out to the island in 2005, with a 12 month MOT and got it re insured t use in majorca. I thought i would easily get it transferred and still use it. Unfortunatley it is now sat in my garage unused. I want to start using it again but am stuck!! I really want to get it ' legal' but don't know how to go about it - or at what cost. Anybody got any ideas?

Thanks

Carl

frito 02-04-2008 08:40

Registering a U.K. car

I saw this on the internet some time ago.

The process of importing a UK vehicle into Spain:

"1.Certificate of permanent export - You will need to hand all of your car documentation to the DVLA and obtain a certificate of permanent export.
2.Obtain an NIE number - You require an NIE number, passport, driving licence, MOT certificate and insurance papers on hand at all times when registering the vehicle.
3.Register the car with the local council - The car will need to be registered with the local council by obtaining a Nota de Empadronamiento or Residence permit from the town hall where you live.
4.Pass the Spanish MOT - You will be required to have an ITV, the Spanish equivalent to the MOT to ensure that the car is roadworthy.
5.Pay the registration tax - A registration tax (impuesto municipal sobre circulacion de vehiculos) is payable at 12% of the vehicle's current value in Spain. However, there are exceptions and vehicles with a petrol-engine capacity of less than 1600 cc or a diesel-engine capacity of less than 2 litres are only subject to 7% tax. You will be completely exempt from tax if the car has been used in the UK during the previous six months; and you have lived in the UK during the previous 12 months; and if you have communicated the change of residence in the 30 days before the registration of the car. However, if this exemption is applied you will not be able to sell, rent or transfer the vehicle during the first year.
6.Altering your driving licence – You will need to alter your driving licence, either by having your EU licence stamped at the Tráfico office, or by applying for a Spanish licence there.
7.Pay Spanish road tax – You will need to pay Spanish road tax, which is obtainable from your Local Authority.
8.Get the car insured – As soon as the car has been registered in Spain and received its Spanish plates, you must make sure that the car is adequately insured in Spain.
9.Modifications to the car – In Spain, it is compulsory that right hand drive cars must be fitted with headlight converters to adjust the beam pattern so that it does not dazzle oncoming drivers."

It seems a long process.

I hope this is useful.

Frito