Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > BEFORE YOU GO > Car Hire, Airport Transfers in Majorca

Car Hire, Airport Transfers in Majorca Anything related to car hire both via UK companies and local companies. Can include discussions on motoring, bringing your own car, taxis, airport transport etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29-06-2005, 00:44
andymac101

Default car hire in august

I will be visiting PP the 2nd and 3rd week of August. i want to hire a car for 2 or 3 days, but i am not sure when i will want it. what are the chances of there being none available if i leave it until the last minute? And who would you reccomend using?
Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-2005, 01:57
Roy and Katie

You might have difficulty in August, especially if you only want it for a couple of days.I would suggest that you book in advance.

We have always used Auto Estarelles from Palma, who we meet at the airport. We have found them very reliable and as cheap as anyone.They deliver to PP for a small fee.

Their web address is estarelles@autoesteralles.com

Roy
Old 04-07-2005, 02:07
Roy and Katie

Sorry that should have been

estarellas@autoestarellas.com

Roy
Old 04-07-2005, 09:01
y parc

Here is a word of advice to all of you who are thinking of hiring a car, be very aware of hiring a car from car jet also trading under other names it is a complete rip off.
We have just come back after hiring a car off them and first of all we had to queue for two hours to get the car, but even worse we had paid for a tank full of petrol, and when we took it back a long wait again they expected us to have filled it up again with petrol, which my better half refused, so i am now waiting to see have they deducted the ammount from our credit card . We will keep you updated you on this.
Have fun anyway we had a fantastic time as usual

Love Dot
Old 04-07-2005, 17:57
congokid

I believe Carjet is just a broker and the rental agencies are where you collect your vehicle on arrival. Which one did you use?

I've found Carjet convenient and good value in the past, though about a month ago, when collection was from the Centauro desk rather than Europa Rentacar, there were long queues (discussed at length below in another thread - Hire car problems - Holiday autos / Centauro).

I've just checked my most recent booking confirmation with Carjet for this August and it clearly states that while the customer needs to pay for the first tank of fuel, they return their car with an empty tank, so if your booking was the same, you shouldn't have had to refill the tank.

It's confusing - I'm pretty certain that in previous years the rule was to fill the tank before returning the vehicle.

They probably supplement their revenue this way, relying on customers losing the paperwork and not remembering what to do. I'll be sure to take a copy of the booking confirmation next time!
Old 04-07-2005, 22:34
AJAPP

I've tried a few car hire companies over the years. All have their good & bad points, however, for the past 3 or 4 years I have used Autos Roig.

I've never had to queue for a car, they always have my documentation filled in for me and the cars are clean (& full of fuel). When I return the car, I never seem to have time to fill up the tank...not a problem, they do it for me & charge my credit card (8-10 Euros usually).

Best of all is their loyalty scheme...I visit PP around 8-12 times per year...this usually means 2 visits worth of car hire for free with the points that I have built up over the year.
Old 05-07-2005, 01:20

I have used Carjet quite a few times without any problems, although normally I book through their Drivespain website who always use Europacar. I have always returned the car with an empty tank as per their instructions. On return I have just dropped the keys at the return booth, they havn't even checked the car before I leave.

Y parc you didn't mention who you used, was Europacar as busy as elsewhere?, because I have booked with europacar through Drivespain again this year. This could be a nightmare at the airport, to queue for that long.

Timberman
Old 05-07-2005, 23:31
y parc

Hi there, we hired the car through Car Jet and it was from the Centauro desk inside the Airport, we have never had to do thid before we allways picked the car up across the road from the Airport. We had paid for a full tank of petrol when we paid for the car. The reason for most of the holdups was like you said, people did not have their relevant documents with them, so i have jotted down the companies that you recomend and will be using them next time.
Thanks
Old 11-07-2005, 05:53
Broadreach

We were in PP in mid August a couple of years ago and because we needed a car only for four days we got one from a place in the town.
Unfortunately I have forgotten the name of the firm. I think it has a dark green logo and is based on the left hand side of the road going out of town, not too far from the centre.
Can anyone tell me the name of the firm? They were really good value and efficient and I would like to use them again this year in mid August.
cheers

BR
Old 11-07-2005, 05:54
Founder

I should think that it was betacar - they have a green logo see www.betacar.biz/default.asp?Pv_IDIdioma=3 Their website shows them as having an office in PP. We used them as well years ago when we did Thomson packages to the Puerto Azul.
Old 11-07-2005, 15:56
Broadreach

Hi Pollensa

Thanks for that. I think that was the firm we used. The logo looks familiar but I am not too sure about the name. Has the company changed its name in the past two years?
We also need to book transport from the airport. Do the cab firms get overbooked in August? We are arriving at midday on a Thursday. Is that a frantic time for travel from Palma to PP?
Also, does anyone know how the cost of a pre booked car/minibus from a PP firm compares with just grabbing a cab outside the airport? I will probably book (if I have not left it too late) but just like to know what to expect if the booking goes wrong.

regards

Bill
Old 11-07-2005, 16:01
Broadreach

Having checked the website I clearly remember it now. We booked through the hotel and strolled down to town to pick up the car. Much easier than queuing at the airport.
I'll phone them to see what they have available while we are there.
Old 11-07-2005, 19:09
Founder

The standard taxi rate is about 60 EUR & I don't think is much different when pre-booking as I think they are supposed to stick to the set rate. Mini-bus etc may be more. See www.puertopollensa.com/transport-taxis-bus-trains.html#taxis