Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > BEFORE YOU GO > Car Hire, Airport Transfers in Majorca

Car Hire, Airport Transfers in Majorca Anything related to car hire both via UK companies and local companies. Can include discussions on motoring, bringing your own car, taxis, airport transport etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2007, 07:52
Tony Roan

Default car hire in PP

I've always been terrified of driving abroad. They drive on the right for goodness sake! But this year I might just hire a car. I don't fancy driving from Palma to PP but I wouldn't mind hiring a car in Puerto Pollensa itself. Can anyone recommend a hire company? And can someone assure me that it's ok driving on the right.
Thanks,
Tony
Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-2007, 08:02

Hi Tony,

I'm sure if you browse through the car hire section of the forum you'll find a local company in PP who've been recommended by other members - we always hire from the airport and drive to the resort.

I like driving in Mallorca - the roads are generally good and very well maintained. The motorway now makes it a lot easier to travel to PP and is fast and efficient.

You soon get used to driving on the right and even though I've occasionally wound the window down rather than changed gear :eek it does get easier.

It may be a good idea to hire in PP and then get used to the roads around the resort at first. Navigating your way out of the airport multi-storey (very hairy!) and then onto the motorway takes some getting used to.

I love the freedom of having a car and getting out and about to see more of the island. Take your time, enjoy the ride and for me, the most unforgettable drive is the coast road coming into PP from Alcudia. Wonderful!

Jane
Old 09-03-2007, 08:15
Tony Roan

Default Car hire in PP

Thanks JH,
That's very reassuring - winding the window down instead of changing gear! I'm more likely to put it into reverse rather than beep the horn!
I think, of all the places I've been abroad, I'd rather drive in PP than anywhere else. Like you said, the roads are ok, not too busy and the drivers are not quite the same as in Paris, Barcelona or Italy.
I might just give it a go.
Thanks,
Tony
Old 09-03-2007, 16:35

Default Re: Car hire in PP

Go on, be brave, you know you can do it. And you'll be so glad you did! Just driving around the quiet back roads with the windows open is heaven!
Old 09-03-2007, 18:50

Default Re: Car hire in PP

Its an easy drive to PP now Motorway all the way except the last few miles then its easy roads.
Go for it as the others have said you will not regret it
Old 10-03-2007, 05:26
smiddy

Default Car hire inPP

If you're prepared to drive around the port then you may as well drive from the airport! I think you'll find it easier, although you have a few lane changes to get on the PP road. Once you get on that road, it's a joy. You'll be zipping up and down to Palma in no time.
Old 12-03-2007, 19:58
Founder

Default Re: Car hire inPP

Tony,

if you would still prefer to hire locally in Puerto Pollensa, there will be several companies once you get there. If you would like to pre-book you could try Auto Europe who have a local pickup point in PP (I think they use the Europa Goldcar office) - see www.puertopollensa.com/car-hire-majorca.html#autoeurope
Old 12-03-2007, 23:18

I think Ive been spoilt! Usually we have gone for either Hertz or Europa or Avis. up to last year Avis were great, then we had a couple of problems and decided to do the Easy Jet quick and easy and cheap! No water in the windscreen washers; Wipers next to useless - and considering the weather we had that was a big problem, believe me; and worst of all ...... NO CD PLAYER!! Luckily it didnt leak and ruin my shoes! There again - what did I expect for E75 for the week???!!
Old 14-03-2007, 07:22
Gommar Goffer

Hi Tony

We have used Autos Roig for many years now and have always been very pleased. Their customer service is excellent the cars are always near enough new. you collect from the car park at the airport.

They didn't even quibble when I put the wrong fuel in the car!!! Just changed it within a couple of hours on a transporter and didn't charge a thing extra.

Look at www.autosroig.com
Old 14-03-2007, 07:54

We fancy a little sporty number in September, but not sure what to go for in order to put the two cases in as well. Any suggestions?:rolleyes
Old 14-03-2007, 16:27

When we used to travel a lot in the US, we always hired a little sporty number. Well, its got to be done hasn't it! We got in the habit of packing soft bags rather than cases, as they were easier to shove in anywhere! Don't forget, you're only travelling to and from the airport with the cases, so a soft bag can even go in the passenger footwell if necessary. If you can find somewhere that hires them, I'm sure you'll manage with a 2 seater, even if the roof folds into the boot. I used to hire a Jeep before we bought the apartment but even finding one of them through the usual channels wasn't too easy. We had a Renault Megane convertible once, but a tad conservative!
Old 16-03-2007, 07:12
Gommar Goffer

Belladonna - Autor Roig usually have a BMW convertible on their list
Old 16-03-2007, 16:30

Very interesting....! Will take a look in September and see if its still available. Hopefully not necessary to pre-book at that time.
Old 16-03-2007, 22:06
Tony Roan

Default car hire in Pollensa

Thanks for all your help and advice and trying to boost my confidence about driving in Majorca. I'm still thinking about it. If, in August, you see some idiot going the wrong way round a roundabout or pedestrians and cyclists over-taking a car - that'll be me.

Did you hear the joke about the recent plans in Ireland to change from driving on the left, to driving on the right? They're going to phase it in over two weeks!

(And that was in an Irish book by an Irish author, so it's not me being racist)
Tony
Old 17-03-2007, 02:05

Default Re: car hire in Pollensa

Tony,

Just go for it - it really does get easier and then when you return to the UK you have to remember to drive on the left all over again!

Just take it easy at first, especially at roundabouts and in towns and ignore rude drivers who don't have any patience.

All of us were beginners abroad at one time or the other and I can remember my first time behind the wheel of a hire car in Greece. I took it slowly until I gained some confidence and that's all you can do.

You'll wonder why you ever hesitated when you see the open road in front of you!

Jane