Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > BEFORE YOU GO > Car Hire, Airport Transfers in Majorca

Car Hire, Airport Transfers in Majorca Anything related to car hire both via UK companies and local companies. Can include discussions on motoring, bringing your own car, taxis, airport transport etc.

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2020, 22:34

Default Recommendations for car hire

Could anyone recommend an affordable car hire company? Brother in law busy looking for good deals but seems to be finding that prices are very high.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-2020, 23:13

We have used Dollar a few times. They are based just outside the airport but mini bus picks you up. Never waited more than 5 mins.

Every time excellent newish car with no queues and pressure to upgrade insurances.

Not the cheapest but maybe an extra £40 / £50 which makes all the difference.
Old 13-07-2020, 07:02

HyperRentACar.

Sales office at the airport; minibus (every 15 minutes) to take you from airport to main office (Ca'n Pastilla).
ALSO with an office in Puerto de Pollensa.

In July 2018 I paid 12 € per day for a "B" car;
In September 2018, I paid 10 € per day for a "B" car;
In June 2019 I paid 12.74 € per day for a "B" car;
In July 2019 I paid 16.25 € per day for a "B" car;
In September 2019 I paid 14.22 € per day for a "B" car;

"B" car is Renault Twingo or equivalent (Ford Fiesta, Opel Corsa, …) ; cars with air conditioning.
cumberland8 and Roy&Myra like this.

Last edited by JPALCOVER; 13-07-2020 at 07:12.
Old 13-07-2020, 08:22

We have used Vanrells for a few years - collect from car park opposite on 4th Floor - and usually no queue or not many waiting.
PP76 and Lorenzo like this.
Old 13-07-2020, 08:51

We used Formentor Cars in PP last year. We had friendly, excellent service. Didn't use them from the airport but they do offer that too.
Gp1602 likes this.
Old 13-07-2020, 10:52

When renting cars 'in' PP, we always use Hiper and have found them to be good.
Sharonh, Lorenzo, clinkham and 1 others like this.
Old 13-07-2020, 18:29

I'm going Hiper this time only because Alamo haven't reopened . Alamo/ enterprise are really friendly, get you out on the road quickly, have quite fair standards for damage and don't push their zero xs insurance in your face.

I used Vanrell once in Alcudia. Wasn't cheap and the car was a wreck.

Folks use Moto Formentor up at PP and they're mega cool too.

Dont touch Goldcar. Try to avoid RecordGo because of the silly queues as much as anything... although they do combi vans for decent money, I've used them twice.
cumberland8 likes this.
Old 14-07-2020, 08:41

I have just had a weekend hire from Hiper in P P and only cost 40€ which for high summer was very reasonable. You seem to get a better price if you book on line.
Old 14-07-2020, 11:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bekki View Post
Could anyone recommend an affordable car hire company? Brother in law busy looking for good deals but seems to be finding that prices are very high.
Obviously not Goldcar - just type their name into any search engine to see why. Also see the posts on this forum
Old 14-07-2020, 12:21

We have been using Terrys carhire based in can Pastilla for many years now based on a recommendation on this very forum. Fantastic !
Good value but very importantly at the moment no waiting in an airport queue. You just pop across to the car park and collect your car .They contact you beforehand with the car park space number to go to . Everything is arranged in advance and on the return you just park up again in the multi storey, so simple. I can highly recommend. Jat
Dunk and ChrisW like this.
Old 14-07-2020, 18:31

Terry's were brilliant during lockdown - flights cancelled so could not return to palma or depot at can pastilla. Kept extending period and emailing all necessary document s each time. Also gave a generous discount when we were able to start using the car again.
Dunk and ChrisW like this.
Old 15-07-2020, 12:01

As above, we have used Terry's form many years, over the last few weeks, our flights have been cancelled, rearranged, moved etc etc, they were absolutely fantastic, and can not sing their praises enough. Hassle free. nice smug feeling when you stroll past all the queues, Used them a few times a year, had new cars, but often the cars are a few years older, (but I like the idea of tried and tested with 50k on the clock and a few war wounds,) makes me feel local. Used nearly every car hire company on the island, (and I used to work for AVIS in my youth) and Terry's service is 2nd to none.
ChrisW likes this.
Old 02-08-2021, 20:57

Hoping to return to PP in October after 2 years absence. In recent years we had used Alamo/Enterprise at the airport, and found them good and reliable, and easy to collect and return the car. We don't mind paying a higher price if we can rely on good service. Has anyone more recent experience of Alamo/Enterprise, or other recommendations based on recent car hire? Thanks
Old 02-08-2021, 21:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnE View Post
Hoping to return to PP in October after 2 years absence. In recent years we had used Alamo/Enterprise at the airport, and found them good and reliable, and easy to collect and return the car. We don't mind paying a higher price if we can rely on good service. Has anyone more recent experience of Alamo/Enterprise, or other recommendations based on recent car hire? Thanks
Just back from 3 great weeks in PP. We hire from Sixt because of their service and reliability, not the cheapest from the Airport but no great sell and quick return. First time we hired in July and was more expensive than June and September.
Old 03-08-2021, 15:27

Ive been using HolidayAutos.com or Rentalcars.com which give you comparisons on most of the PMI options. Some are mega cheap like Gold who everyone says to avoid. I agree if you have your own excess cover, due to the fact that they are extremely pushy and last time they refused to allow me to use it. It was either fight or get the car and go on holiday....so I took it until I was able to complain later. I think if you tick the insurance box then they are fine, I dropped it back off and as soon as they knew I had their insurance they were good as gold. (sorry!!) Not the way to run a company though.

This year after continually cancelling cars due to flight changes, I eventually went for the Formentor or Vanrell option. I then discovered that Formentor quote without vat and add it later, which irked me enough to immediately cancell and book Vanrell.

There is nothing better than walking across to the carpark to collect your keys and car immediately, but the car disn't appear to be very clean and had a few dinks which I photographed. No issues on the return though.

I makes me wonder when people with places out here, who leave a car at the airport, how their annual costs compare with booking a car. I once paid 10euros for an 11 day trip in December 2017.