Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > BEFORE YOU GO > Car Hire, Airport Transfers in Majorca

Car Hire, Airport Transfers in Majorca Anything related to car hire both via UK companies and local companies. Can include discussions on motoring, bringing your own car, taxis, airport transport etc.

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19-05-2020, 13:34

Default Car hire in covid 19

I'm not overly hopeful about our chances of getting to PP this August - but I was wondering, if restrictions are lifted and we are able to travel, are there likely to be problems with hiring a car from the airport? I can't find any information about this - will cars be thoroughly cleaned between clients, for example - or about whether(if we can't hire a vehicle) taxi drivers will be able to operate given that it's impossible to socially distance in a car. We are all more than happy to wear masks and gloves.... Any information would be very helpful.
Tangoman likes this.
Sponsored Links
Old 19-05-2020, 13:52

I think that at the moment the honest answer is that nobody knows. Regulations seem to change on an almost daily basis.

My only suggestion would be to book with one of the 'trusted' companies like Hiper or Vanrell who do not require an up front payment.
Sparky and Tangoman like this.
Old 19-05-2020, 13:58
Super Moderator

I don't think you will find any info about this until it is decided to allow tourists back into Spain.

You can guarantee that when this does happen there will be a raft of rules for obvious reasons, so it's a case of wait and see .
lollipop and Tangoman like this.
Old 19-05-2020, 17:19

to get an idea of whats currently happening take a look at AVIS.com ...their protocols are laid out there plus a short video ---
Old 22-05-2020, 08:52

Vanrells had an ad on Facebook, showing their preparations of cars.
Old 17-05-2021, 20:47

Not sure if anyone has hired for this year if you're across but:
a. The prices - wow
b. Can you get a mortgage to pay for it?
Tangoman likes this.
Old 17-05-2021, 20:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bircho View Post
Not sure if anyone has hired for this year if you're across but:
a. The prices - wow
b. Can you get a mortgage to pay for it?

Apparently there's a shortage in hire cars

https://www.majorcadailybulletin.com...massively.html

Quote:
Car-hire firms in the Balearics are warning that there is a shortage of vehicles, one of the reasons being that car manufacturers are unable to take orders. The undersupply of vehicles is at a time when - it is hoped - there will be a reactivation of tourism.

Prices are going up as a consequence. There are examples of firms currently charging between 130 and 175 euros per day. The more normal price would be between 30 and 50 euros.
see full article on the MDB website
Old 17-05-2021, 21:55

Also a shortage in holiday renters????
Old 18-05-2021, 09:33

We looked at car hire last week for our 4 week trip - fingers crossed in June. Last week €370 - yesterday €1400!!(this was with all car hire firms) This has happened in the past and the prices have then come down but who knows what will happen. When (not if) we come, if the prices stay like this it will be taxi and getting the bikes out.Downside to this is - shopping, no going to buy wine at Macia, Mortitx, no secluded beaches but hey ho we will be at our apartment and seeing our friends which we are so looking forward to.
Bootledodger likes this.
Old 18-05-2021, 13:02

The worst thing recently is that my trips booked for late May and late June have both shifted , so I have to rebook the cars all over again. So when I booked last year they were really cheap, but now they aren't! It may get to the point that if the first two trips are not possible, I'll not be rebooking again. I have three bookings for the summer, but not for late August, so decided to book a car for that last week and it was a depressing experience!
Old 18-05-2021, 18:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockape View Post
The worst thing recently is that my trips booked for late May and late June have both shifted , so I have to rebook the cars all over again. So when I booked last year they were really cheap, but now they aren't! It may get to the point that if the first two trips are not possible, I'll not be rebooking again. I have three bookings for the summer, but not for late August, so decided to book a car for that last week and it was a depressing experience!
You’ve hit the nail on the head there, Rockape. It’s the constant uncertainty and chopping and changing that makes the whole thing so depressing. I worry about post Brexit border controls and airport chaos too when we’re finally allowed in. Takes the joy out of the apartment we bought in 2018.
car77 likes this.
Old 21-05-2021, 14:08

We have just been quoted 456 euros for a Citroen Berlingo for 12 days in June - with Motos Formentor. This includes insurance. I think there was some sort of discount (not sure for what) - but this price is nothing like as extortionate as some being quoted on here, so definitely worth trying them!
Old 21-05-2021, 14:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by kate1 View Post
We have just been quoted 456 euros for a Citroen Berlingo for 12 days in June - with Motos Formentor. This includes insurance. I think there was some sort of discount (not sure for what) - but this price is nothing like as extortionate as some being quoted on here, so definitely worth trying them!
Thats because its June.....try them for mid July-Late August?
Old 22-05-2021, 01:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockape View Post
Thats because its June.....try them for mid July-Late August?
I was really responding to Carol who was talking about the prices she had been quoted for June. Who knows what will happen later in the summer, but at present, Formentor do not appear to be ripping people off.
Old 22-05-2021, 11:44

Thanks Kate but Formentor motors had no cars available - maybe because it is for 4 weeks? Anyway we may book one for a few days but even then the cost is prohibitive so I think it will be walking and the bikes for us.