Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > BEFORE YOU GO > Car Hire, Airport Transfers in Majorca

Car Hire, Airport Transfers in Majorca Anything related to car hire both via UK companies and local companies. Can include discussions on motoring, bringing your own car, taxis, airport transport etc.

Like Tree24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2019, 07:27

https://www.majorcadailybulletin.com...-car-park.html

Quote:
Environmentalists GOB have denounced "a car park with payment in a protected area of Formentor" to the Council of Majorca's land department, the Council's agency for the defence of territory and the government's directorate for natural spaces and biodiversity.

Pollensa's mayor, Tomeu Cifre, has confirmed that this refers to part of the car park operated by the Formentor Hotel and which is used by the thousands of vehicles that go as far as the beach each day. The demand for the car park has increased because of the traffic restrictions from the beach to the lighthouse.

The town hall is meanwhile working on an alternative arrangement for the road to be presented to the relevant authorities - the Council of Majorca, the regional government and the traffic directorate. This would entail closing the road from Puerto Pollensa at least at times when traffic is typically at its heaviest. The town hall believes there is sufficient parking in Puerto Pollensa for people to then use the shuttle bus to the beach and the lighthouse.

see full article on the MDB website
El Gordo likes this.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-2019, 14:49

I presume if you drive up before 9.30AM and park in Cala Figuera car park and go hiking for a few hours you dont get in trouble on the drive home??
Old 03-07-2019, 10:57

I think that car park is closed now. Not sure why. Its a pity as that could have been utilised to take the strain off the Formentor car park.
Old 03-07-2019, 16:36

Most likely, the solution will be the same as the one used in the "National Parks" of Spain. A maximum number of cars are admitted simultaneously each day. Once this maximum number has been reached, new entrants are allowed only if previous entrants leave. The control is ensured by Guardia Civil agents and, in the case of the National Parks, Forest Guards.
Based on my experience, I recommend "entering" the park before 09h00 / 09h30.

At the height of the day (around noon) the line of cars waiting can be pretty long!
Old 12-09-2019, 12:00

https://www.majorcadailybulletin.com...trictions.html

Quote:
Traffic restrictions on the Formentor road to the lighthouse will be lifted after Sunday, so bringing an end to the three-month ban on most vehicles using the road between 10am and 7pm.

It has emerged that cameras for reading registration plates at the point near the beach where the restriction starts were not in place until the 23rd of August. These readers automatically send plate numbers to the traffic directorate so that fines can be issued. ...

It would also appear that at some point the Council of Majorca removed vehicle counters. ...
So, there were neither the means for generating fines (for more than two months) nor for proper counting.

Pollensa's mayor Tomeu Cifre has criticised the lack of control and says that the restrictions have led to problems with parking for Formentor beach and for the beaches at Cala Figuera and Cala Murta. Drivers have been using the road before 10am in order to get to the latter two. ...

A second car park for Formentor beach, which was denounced by the environmentalists GOB in July because it was "irregular", has apparently been visited by environment ministry agents on three occasions. On no occasion, it would seem, did the agents catch anyone actually operating this car park.
see full story on the MDB website
Old 10-06-2020, 07:50

https://www.majorcadailybulletin.com...e-june-22.html

Quote:
The ban on private vehicles between Formentor beach and the lighthouse between 1000 until 1900 during the summer months will resume on June 22 when the State of Emergency ends and remain in place until September 15.

The Directorate General of Traffic, or DGT has told the Government, the Consell de Mallorca and Pollensa City Council that the restrictions in Formentor, which were published in the BOE at the beginning of this year, "may be lifted until traffic escalates to the point where it’s necessary to intervene."

But the Consell de Mallorca says vehicle saturation is not the only reason the restrictions were enforced for the last two summers, it’s also about preserving and protecting the environmental."

Iván Sevillano from the Insular Ministry of Mobility & Infrastructure, claims the "pedagogical effect" of maintaining the restrictions, even with vehicle saturation, won’t be visible for some time.

The City Council strongly opposes applying the restrictions when there’s no tourists on the island.

Mobility & Housing Councillor, Marc Pons says the shuttle service “can be adapted to current circumstances with flexible frequencies to meet demand and provide a good service” and has asked for more time to make preparations and guarantee a stable service.
Old 12-06-2020, 15:47
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_dublin View Post
https://www.majorcadailybulletin.com...e-june-22.html

There has been a U turn, just reported here :- https://sompollenca.com/municipi/for...Xi5zPF57_AlO98

Quote:
Finally, access to the head of Formentor will not be restricted this season as announced. The Directorate General of Traffic (DGT) has taken the exceptional measure in the face of the atypical summer that we will have to live. Remember that two summers ago, access from the beach to the lighthouse was banned for nine hours a day.

Remember that only two days ago, it was the Consell de Mallorca who urged that access to the Cape of Formentor be restricted again. Petition criticized by municipal authorities.

Opposing opinions due to restrictions in Formentor

The global pandemic has halted dry tourism and the arrival of mass foreigners is not expected. So fewer visitors are expected in Formentor, a fact that the DGT has taken into account.
Old 31-05-2021, 07:55

https://www.majorcadailybulletin.com...y-tighter.html

Quote:
... the restrictions are back for this summer and there are more of them.

... the restrictions will apply as they previously had from June 15 to September and between 10am and 7pm every day.

The change for this summer basically affects the road as far as the beach from Puerto Pollensa. Private cars won’t be able to use the road between 10am and 7pm. Access will be limited to authorised vehicles, such as taxis. Residents and people visiting residents will have access. ...

As before, there will be a barrier with a number plate reader in the area of the beach to allow authorised vehicles through. Authorisations have to be obtained by email application ...

Drivers of private cars should park along the ring road in the port and take the bus to the beach and lighthouse. Two buses will start in Alcudia and stop in Puerto Pollensa. Line 333 will terminate at the beach, and Line 334 will carry on to the lighthouse with stops for Cala Figuera and Cala Murta.

Old 15-06-2021, 12:04

https://www.majorcadailybulletin.com...ighthouse.html

Quote:
Drivers are banned from the road between Puerto Pollensa and Formentor lighthouse from 10:00-19:00 from today until next September 15, with few exceptions.

Residents and business owners in the restricted area have criticised the measures, claiming the Provincial Traffic Office has not given them the relevant authorisation to access their homes and businesses.

Taxi drivers are allowed to take passengers to the first section of the road between Puerto Pollensa and Formentor beach, with prior authorisation and there’s also a shuttle bus from Puerto Pollensa to Formentor beach every 30 minutes and to the lighthouse every hour.

The shuttle will stop at Colomer viewpoint, Cala Murta and Cala Figuera and passengers don't need to buy another ticket between stops, as long as their journey takes less than an hour.

El Gordo likes this.
Old 15-06-2021, 13:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_dublin View Post
https://www.majorcadailybulletin.com...ighthouse.html

So the buses run every hour. Passenger can hop off and onto the next bus without the need for another ticket. So long as the journey doesn't take more than hour. Is it just me or have they invented time travel?
El Gordo likes this.
Old 15-06-2021, 14:21
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bircho View Post
So the buses run every hour. Passenger can hop off and onto the next bus without the need for another ticket. So long as the journey doesn't take more than hour. Is it just me or have they invented time travel?
I agree, this has confused me too .
El Gordo likes this.
Old 16-06-2021, 10:37

According to a friend of mine, vehicle owners who can prove (by sending a copy of the bill to the authorities) that they have spent money at bars, restaurants or beach services are allowed to go as far as the beach.

How this will work with hire cars is beyond me, but no doubt a “solution” will be found.

All I can say is Good Luck !
Old 16-06-2021, 13:01
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian Simms View Post
According to a friend of mine, vehicle owners who can prove (by sending a copy of the bill to the authorities) that they have spent money at bars, restaurants or beach services are allowed to go as far as the beach.

How this will work with hire cars is beyond me, but no doubt a “solution” will be found.

All I can say is Good Luck !
This caused chaos yesterday apparently . Seems like it's a case of right hand/ left hand .
Miller likes this.
Old 17-06-2021, 09:24

Apropos to my previous comment, my friend has told me that a copy of a receipt from the beach parking will also suffice.

Not only that, if a vehicle goes before 10am and doesn’t return untill after 7pm, it’s not registered on the camera so no fines or restrictions can be or are issued.
Old 17-06-2021, 11:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
This caused chaos yesterday apparently . Seems like it's a case of right hand/ left hand .
Do you mean locals driving on the right and Brits on the left. I can see this would cause confusion.