Pollensa Forum

Pollensa Forum (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/)
-   Car Hire, Airport Transfers in Majorca (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/car-hire-airport-transfers-majorca/)
-   -   Car hire (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/car-hire-airport-transfers-majorca/13576-car-hire.html)

julesjennings 13-08-2017 19:05

Car hire

Hi can anyone advice on car hire? There seems to be so many different things to get, I'm confused?:)

cumberland8 13-08-2017 21:50

Avoid Record (average wait 1.5 hours) & Goldcar shocking Google complaints.

Lorenzo 13-08-2017 22:58

If you are a regular visitor (or use hire cars regularly abroad) then it may well be worth taking out a year round insurance policy in the UK to cover all excesses on your foreign rental vehicle.

Quite often, prices which appear to be very cheap at first when you look at them them on the internet, end up being more than doubled when the local car hire company in Palma Airport adds on 'all inclusive insurance' and/or a full tank of fuel (and expects you to take the vehicle back empty). Second drivers are usually charged for too.

It is important to check every detail of the rental document before signing anything. It is also important to check the vehicle over very thoroughly when you collect it - so you don't get accused (and charged for) of causing damage to the car which was already there. Probably the safest way is to take several photographs of the vehicle when you collect it and when you return it so you can prove the status of the vehicle if this is questioned at a later stage.

When you book your hire car, also decide if you would like a car that you can collect at the airport or one which will based at a site off-airport and will entail a shuttle service to collect it. It can also be cost effective to take a local bus or shuttle bus up to Puerto Pollensa from the airport and just hire a car there for the days that you need it.

Hire car companies which we personally have had no issues with are Sixt, Hiper car Rental and VanRell. Hopefully other forum member will have some more good suggestions.

marilyn 13-08-2017 23:47

We have used Terry's car hire for several years. The price quoted is the price you pay, no excess Also no queuing at the airport. A bit dearer than some but very easy to deal with. Alternatively if you only want a car for a few days once you are in the port both Motos Formentor and Hiper Car Rentals are in the port and regularly recommended.

Teen 14-08-2017 06:10

Terry's

Entirely agree with the above,the most hassle free car hire I've had, anywhere!

Golfaholics 14-08-2017 08:46

Car Hire

We've used both Vanrell and Click&Rent.es from the airport and both excellent. No queues and all included in the price. Simply go to the desk on 4th floor of car park and pick up car from 3rd. Very easy and never waited more than 5 minutes and we use both several times a year.

Rosie34 14-08-2017 09:46

Yes - we have also used Vanrells for a few years and so far have not had any problems. Easy quick pick up and return from the 4th floor.

Luckjon 14-08-2017 10:16

We either use Vanrell for airport-to-airport car hire or Hiper Car Rental for short term hire in the port. Have used them both for years and no problems at all.

Avoid any car hire that has a cheap 'up-front' rental - you will pay for it one way or the other.

I have an annual insurance for car hire which costs around £40 - with insurance4carhire.com.

alcanadakid 15-08-2017 09:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Golfaholics (Post 119654)
We've used both Vanrell and Click&Rent.es from the airport and both excellent. No queues and all included in the price. Simply go to the desk on 4th floor of car park and pick up car from 3rd. Very easy and never waited more than 5 minutes and we use both several times a year.

Is the desk still there? They seemed to have removed all of the desks that used to be there

Lorenzo 15-08-2017 13:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by alcanadakid (Post 119672)
Is the desk still there? They seemed to have removed all of the desks that used to be there

The VanRell reps are working by the shelf on the left hand side as you walk towards the terminal on level 4 (in the space where the unused check in desks used to be) . They have an A4 sign next to where they are working.

All the different smaller car hire firms seem to have adopted different areas of this space now to work from. :)

snowy2007 15-08-2017 14:34

Car prices have shot up I booked way back Class E 157€ now quoting 252€ what's happening ?? this is Sept 2017

Big Sal 15-08-2017 17:51

Hipercar have recently started a customer loyalty program offering discounts to frequent customers. 'In your next booking, you will see that we have included the “I’m a frequent customer” option. Select it and a discount will be applied to you that will vary depending on the number of agreements you have had with us'.

clinkham 15-08-2017 21:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Sal (Post 119680)
Hipercar have recently started a customer loyalty program offering discounts to frequent customers. 'In your next booking, you will see that we have included the “I’m a frequent customer” option. Select it and a discount will be applied to you that will vary depending on the number of agreements you have had with us'.

Yes, just got a €7.50 discount on a weeks hire this coming October. Six days hire for €84 seems a fair deal. Been hiring from the office in the Port for the last 3/4 years and have never had a problem.

"Dear Sir/Madam, John Duckworth

My name is Debora Martorell and I am the Managing Director of Hiper Rent a Car. I am writing to inform you that we have started a discount programme aimed at our frequent customers, but I would particularly like to take this opportunity to thank you on behalf of the entire HIPER RENT A CAR team for the trust you have placed in us.

During the almost 50 years since my father founded the company, the principles that it was based on were transparency, respect for our customers and high-quality standards.

The entire organisation is utterly committed to the goal of improving each day thanks to the help of our customers, who are our main motivation and have enabled us to today be an expert in the car rental sector in Mallorca, Menorca and Ibiza. THANK YOU for forming part of this company.

In your next booking, you will see that we have included the “I’m a frequent customer” option. Select it and a discount will be applied to you that will vary depending on the number of agreements you have had with us. "

KWUK2 15-08-2017 21:15

Ditto to the above two posts about Hiper. I always use them when hiring in the resort and have booked again and got the loyalty discount. But I wonder why I didn't get a letter - when did those come out ?

Big Sal 15-08-2017 21:46

I received my Hipercar email on 14th July. I always return to Hipercar anyway, and to recognise customer loyalty is a welcome touch.