Pollensa Forum

Pollensa Forum (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/)
-   Car Hire, Airport Transfers in Majorca (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/car-hire-airport-transfers-majorca/)
-   -   Goldcar car hire (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/car-hire-airport-transfers-majorca/13122-goldcar-car-hire.html)

Nick 19-10-2016 10:42

Goldcar car hire

Hello

Does anyone have any idea what the queues for Goldcar car hire will be like end of December? Also their service etc, I know they don't score highly.

I've seen a very good offer, £27, for 8 days hire of a Nissan Juke on Holiday Autos.

Thanks for any advice.

steve&marilyn 19-10-2016 17:40

Oh no. Not letting you loose in a car are they? Must put my bike and roller skis away that week.

Disorderly 19-10-2016 18:06

Steer clear my friend, steer clear!

Nick 19-10-2016 19:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve&marilyn (Post 115116)
Oh no. Not letting you loose in a car are they? Must put my bike and roller skis away that week.

Haha v funny, I like that. Describe yourself, bike, colours of your naff Lycra and route with favoured times and I'll come and find you!!

:cool:

Nick 19-10-2016 19:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Disorderly (Post 115117)
Steer clear my friend, steer clear!

Fair comment but why please?
Personal experience preferred rather than hearsay!

Disorderly 19-10-2016 22:22

We used them for years and they were very good, but we got sick and tired of the massive queues and found the quality if he cars dipped.

Then this forum became full of criticism, particularly about charges for so called "Damage" when returning cars and Goldcar don't seem to be the firm that they once were.

I'll admit that some of what I say is "hearsay", though lifted from this Forum, that I gave come to trust implicitly.

On that basis I have always believed that you get what you pay for, so I always use Sixt, who have been absolutely excellent and have really good quality nearly new cars. But clearly more expensive.

Yorkie 20-10-2016 12:06

Hi Nick
We have used them a few times but every time they insist that you take out extra insurance to cover the excess payment should you have an accident. The last time I said I didn't want to do this as I could pay the excess should it happen. The woman insisted. I insisted and in the end after much arguing she refused to give me the car keys unless I took the insurance. In the end I had to do it or have no car. So just be aware that the £27 you have been quoted will not be what you end up paying. This is why the queue is so long because you think you are picking up a fully paid for car but instead you are subject to a full on sales pitch which you are powerless to avoid. I would never use them again. We used Vanrell this time and they were excellent.

Mark 20-10-2016 17:44

I doubt anyone actually pays the advertised £27 for 8 days.
tripadvisor comments also give you an idea of how it really is.

Timberman 20-10-2016 18:20

Terry's Car Hire every time for me. Simple procedure, no queues no extra selling, all insurance included just pick up and drop off.
Great company.

Gommar Goffer 21-10-2016 09:31

I always find Tery's to be expensive even with the all included insurances etc. am i missing something? I normally use Centauro or Hiper.

Luckjon 21-10-2016 15:03

I am someone else that has got fed up with Goldcar both for add charges and 'finding' damage weeks after car was returned.

For last three years I have only used Vanrell. Not the cheapest but I have always found them straightforward and honest (yes!); respond to email queries promptly; only take the credit card payment 24 hours before collection and no queuing either when collecting car or returning.

debz1 22-10-2016 13:06

We've stuck with Goldcar and have had some very long queues over the years but have to say our last two trips have been a much better experience. They now have a ticket system for the queue and more people on the desk. We were given a diagram showing any existing scratches, but always check the car before we leave the airport and take photos and report back if we find anything else. We have never paid the excess insurance or got a bill for damage. Maybe we've been fortunate but they are still the cheapest and will continue to use them.

Nick 23-10-2016 15:03

Phew cos I've booked my Nissan Jute with them for £21 in the end! Did it with Holiday Autos and paid £41 full insurance with them as well. I know it's a lot for insurance but I'd rather have it.
I will, as always like you Debz, take a video before and after hire.
Can't see queue being too long late December and we only ever have carry on luggage anyway.
Like the fact they now do a diagram of marks and scratches etc. Very useful.
If I remember I'll report back early January on my experience!

The Wob 23-10-2016 18:58

Goldcar. As they say even Dick Turpin wore a mask.

El Gordo 23-10-2016 19:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick (Post 115166)
Phew cos I've booked my Nissan Jute with them for £21 in the end! Did it with Holiday Autos and paid £41 full insurance with them as well. I know it's a lot for insurance but I'd rather have it.
I will, as always like you Debz, take a video before and after hire.
Can't see queue being too long late December and we only ever have carry on luggage anyway.
Like the fact they now do a diagram of marks and scratches etc. Very useful.
If I remember I'll report back early January on my experience!

They will probably still argue the fact that you will be underinsured by not taking Goldcar Insurance and also that you will have to organise your own recovery if you break down!! :eek: