Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > BEFORE YOU GO > Car Hire, Airport Transfers in Majorca

Car Hire, Airport Transfers in Majorca Anything related to car hire both via UK companies and local companies. Can include discussions on motoring, bringing your own car, taxis, airport transport etc.

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31-05-2017, 10:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragdollabbi View Post
We have just received a speeding fine in post.....coincidentally from the day we were returning to airport as well. Looks like it was on the road from the Port to motorway........not sure where the cameras are😢 Just wondered if there is a 50% reduction if paid within a certain time?
Ragdollabi - what day was your fine as I too have received a fine on the stretch after the golf club but I do not remember speeding? I am normally very good

Mine was Tuesday 16th May at 9.05 (on the way back to the airport) and I am sure I was stuck behind traffic.
Old 31-05-2017, 11:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watty View Post
Hi Ragdollabbi
Without getting too far off track. The notice does go to the car hire company and is then forwarded to the person that hired the car. By the time you receive the notice you may well be over the time limit for claiming a 50% reduction, as I was!
From the notice, and google, I located the direct line for the office, I think it was in Madrid, and called them. There was no problem. The lady called me back and talked me through the online system and assured me that there would be a 50% discount when I moved to the payment page. This was not easy to see at the time. There was and I just paid up. No probs. Now I don't worry about hiring a car next time.
The camera that caught me is on the stretch of road as you drop down the hill after passing Pollença and just as you pass the Son Brull Hotel going towards the golf club. The stretch where you can see for miles.
I won't add that when I received the second fine,two weeks later, from the same camera I just rang up the same office and between us we sorted once again! All smiles and no probs.
I now wait for the usual "why don't you just slow down" comments.
We also paid online and they were very helpful and talked my husband through the process as I think it was a tad confusing
Old 31-05-2017, 14:09

Just be aware everyone that unpaid EU traffic fines can now be remitted to U.K. Courts for collection and enforcement providing they are over €70 and the offence is an offence in the U.K.

This is a recent change
Old 31-05-2017, 19:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gommar Goffer View Post
Ragdollabi - what day was your fine as I too have received a fine on the stretch after the golf club but I do not remember speeding? I am normally very good

Mine was Tuesday 16th May at 9.05 (on the way back to the airport) and I am sure I was stuck behind traffic.
Ours was Tuesday 2nd May at 14.21 on way back to airport and also don't remember speeding as we had left in lots of time for our flight. We are normally very careful too, but possibly had just overtaken a van that was very slow. I have paid the fine today but when I think about it, we only have their word as to what the speed was☹️ Didn't realise there would be another charge from car hire company though😩😩. Interesting that you have received your fine today and the incident was 2 weeks after us.
Old 01-06-2017, 09:47

I haven't received the fine yet - only the notification from the hire company and the admin fee of €40
Old 01-06-2017, 10:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gommar Goffer View Post
I haven't received the fine yet - only the notification from the hire company and the admin fee of €40
Who did you hire with Gommar Goffer? We were with Hertz, and, as yet, we haven't received anything from them. The fine came in the post out of the blue😢
Old 01-06-2017, 17:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bircho View Post
if the speed limit on the motorway is 120kph but in Spain you can go 10% above the speed limit so long as you are overtaking, what speed are these cameras set at?
The 10% overtaking limit does not apply on motorways or dual carriageways - Only on roads that are not in built-up areas.

(Its a bit of a silly rule, as technically you can overtake a car although it is travelling at the legal limit!).
Old 02-06-2017, 09:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragdollabbi View Post
Who did you hire with Gommar Goffer? We were with Hertz, and, as yet, we haven't received anything from them. The fine came in the post out of the blue😢
Centauro Abbi - I do think €40 is a bit steep for 'admin'. I will have to check the T&C's!
Old 02-06-2017, 10:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemallorca View Post
The 10% overtaking limit does not apply on motorways or dual carriageways - Only on roads that are not in built-up areas.

(Its a bit of a silly rule, as technically you can overtake a car although it is travelling at the legal limit!).
Sorry you are correct. Interesting that the OP was fined for doing 98 in a 90 zone. They would have been ok if they were overtaking - no doubt the picture taken would show this though.

This does give an outline for driving in Spain although it doesn't mention that you can be fined for driving in flip flops!!

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/travel/country/spain/
El Gordo likes this.
Old 02-06-2017, 16:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bircho View Post
Sorry you are correct. Interesting that the OP was fined for doing 98 in a 90 zone. They would have been ok if they were overtaking - no doubt the picture taken would show this though.

This does give an outline for driving in Spain although it doesn't mention that you can be fined for driving in flip flops!!

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/travel/country/spain/
Picture is taken very close up, therefore difficult to prove whether overtaking or not. Could have been taken before or after the overtake, but as we can't prove this we have paid the fine. Would have been good to see a wider shot of the car. Will be more careful in future😉
Old 06-02-2018, 19:05

Just received a speeding fine from 5/1 through the post! Bugger....was reading this thread after I returned and wondered if I'd been caught! 133 in a 120......oops!
Old 07-02-2018, 12:16

If you pay now, will be reduced to £50 euros!
Old 08-02-2018, 17:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by animagic21 View Post
If you pay now, will be reduced to £50 euros!
Don't ignore it. The fine can be collected through the UK Courts, but not the penalty points
Old 10-02-2018, 18:33

Please remember that radars commonly used here are tracking radars meaning they track your speed after passing the radar for a certain distance.