Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > BEFORE YOU GO > Car Hire, Airport Transfers in Majorca

Car Hire, Airport Transfers in Majorca Anything related to car hire both via UK companies and local companies. Can include discussions on motoring, bringing your own car, taxis, airport transport etc.

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25-07-2015, 16:25

Default Sixt car hire

If we book Sixt car hire for when we arrive in November, is the counter in the airport terminal for us to do all the paperwork, keys etc? I know that sounds a bit bizarre but we used Auton Estarellas in the past (many years ago) and met Manolo in the terminal. I'm asking because when we went to the mainland a couple of years ago we had to queue for ages before picking up
Sponsored Links
Old 25-07-2015, 17:12

Sixt car rental have a desk in the Terminal near the luggage carousels.

They are by far the best and most efficient car hire company that we have used. There has never been a queue with them - and the cars are always in pristine condition too.
Old 25-07-2015, 17:22

We arrived last Saturday and just one person in front of me at the Sixt desk. It's in the baggage hall so you can get the paperwork sorted whilst someone else waits for bags. Every time I've used Sixt I've got that all dealt with before the bags arrived, so then you are on your way with no hanging about. Great company....good choice!
Old 25-07-2015, 17:42

sounds great. Thanks
Old 25-07-2015, 18:12

Agreed - Have used them twice in the last few weeks, and on both occasions superb.

Very short queue, although be prepared to get daggers from the poor folks next door in the endless queue for Goldcar....I am sure that we are in PP before some people will even get their keys!

They have some nice cars too - Thoroughly enjoyed a MINI Cooper Diesel that we had from them earlier this month. Whilst it was more expensive than the usual Corsa/Fiesta, it used so little fuel that it almost paid for the upgrade cost.
Old 25-07-2015, 23:53

Ha ha....once spent nearly as long in the Goldcar queue as the flight from Liverpool. Never again. Sixt for me every time.
Old 26-07-2015, 10:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disorderly View Post
Ha ha....once spent nearly as long in the Goldcar queue as the flight from Liverpool. Never again. Sixt for me every time.
Couldn't agree more!
Old 26-07-2015, 10:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemallorca View Post
Agreed - Have used them twice in the last few weeks, and on both occasions superb.

Very short queue, although be prepared to get daggers from the poor folks next door in the endless queue for Goldcar....I am sure that we are in PP before some people will even get their keys!

They have some nice cars too - Thoroughly enjoyed a MINI Cooper Diesel that we had from them earlier this month. Whilst it was more expensive than the usual Corsa/Fiesta, it used so little fuel that it almost paid for the upgrade cost.
Sixt are by far the best, our children now only use them when they visit after some horrendous experiences with Goldcar. The first time they visit this year will be next month. Can anyone tell me whether Sixt need DVLA code?
Old 26-07-2015, 12:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcanadakid View Post
Sixt are by far the best, our children now only use them when they visit after some horrendous experiences with Goldcar. The first time they visit this year will be next month. Can anyone tell me whether Sixt need DVLA code?
We were not asking for one. They just look at your licence and put the driver number onto their system.

I still have an old-style paper licence, and more commonly get questioned if it is an actual driving licence, rather than anyone asking for a code.

PS Alcanadakid, I have just discovered Alcanada this summer, having never ventured beyond the old power station before - What a beautiful district. The views across the water are stunning, and we love the bar next to the Terraza Restaurant.
Old 26-07-2015, 17:44

I landed at the Sixt desk at Palma airport proudly sporting my DVLA printout and the Sixt receptionist laughed and said something along the lines of "only in England!"

As usual, good old GB has taken an EU Directive and complicated it beyond belief. That said, it takes 2 mins to get a DVLA printout and it is valid for 21 days, so I'll always do it....just in case!

The one new thing this year which Sixt told me, and my son was told at the Europcar desk, is that you should leave your rental agreement on display in the car if left on the street, otherwise the Police may prosecute. Not come across that one before.
Old 26-07-2015, 18:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disorderly View Post
..............The one new thing this year which Sixt told me, and my son was told at the Europcar desk, is that you should leave your rental agreement on display in the car if left on the street, otherwise the Police may prosecute. Not come across that one before................
What is this about?

My FlickR Photos
Old 27-07-2015, 10:06

You should be given a notice to put on the dashboard/in the window of your hire car that you display if you park on a public road supposedly for the information of the police etc. With Hertz it is an A5 sized piece of paper.

The problem I have with this system is it says "this car belongs to a tourist" to all and sundry
mike_dublin likes this.

Last edited by Gommar Goffer; 27-07-2015 at 10:08. Reason: spelling
Old 27-07-2015, 13:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gommar Goffer View Post
You should be given a notice to put on the dashboard/in the window of your hire car that you display if you park on a public road supposedly for the information of the police etc. With Hertz it is an A5 sized piece of paper.

The problem I have with this system is it says "this car belongs to a tourist" to all and sundry
I have to agree advertises "this car belongs to a tourist". We use SIXT and in June I was informed that I should display the printed rental sheet inside the Sixt folder on the windscreen when parking - I chose not to display and take the risk.
Old 27-07-2015, 14:58

Whilst discussing Sixt, does anyone know if they accept the annual excess insurance as advertised on here? Also if it is possible to guarantee an automatic? The website is not the world's easiest and we would really like an automatic.

We have used Goldcar before a number of times and always got an automatic but we are sick to death of the queue and the harassment over paying extra insurance. Why can't they charge you up front when you book, especially as they won't give you the car unless you take it out? No wonder the queue is so long. Two minutes to get the car and 10 to argue about insurance.

Re leaving the rental agreement on the dash ... isn't the dirty great Goldcar/Hertz/Sixt sticker enough of a clue that the car is rented thus saving the lovely Mallorcan constabulary the trouble of walking up and looking into the car? Just sayin ...
Old 27-07-2015, 15:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkie View Post
Whilst discussing Sixt, does anyone know if they accept the annual excess insurance as advertised on here? ........
The Excess Insurance is YOUR PERSONAL insurance covering you to claim back any charges the Hire firm make for you damaging the car ie Excess payment.

The hire firm are obviously trying to sell insurance as they make more money on that than on the hire charge.

They do not need to accept your insurance, just decline theirs and accept the excess debit/block on your card. You don't need to mention the excess insurance. If you do they then start criticising the cover not being adequate etc.

The EASIEST option is to accept their insurance. The CHEAPEST option is to get your own in advance but accept the hassle if you need to claim.

My FlickR Photos