Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > BEFORE YOU GO > Car Hire, Airport Transfers in Majorca

Car Hire, Airport Transfers in Majorca Anything related to car hire both via UK companies and local companies. Can include discussions on motoring, bringing your own car, taxis, airport transport etc.

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26-07-2015, 16:25

Default Car Hire Confusion

Sorry guys but I'm getting confused. I want to hire a small car for 4 days. Want to collect and return to the airport, and leave it full of petrol. My problem is I'm not paying by credit card but debit card so don't want to have a massive excess waiver thingamajig of 600-900 euros taken off the card as well.
Any ideas?????
Sponsored Links
Old 26-07-2015, 16:39

You could try Terrys Car Hire. I don't think they take an excess so may accept a debit card.
Old 26-07-2015, 16:58

think its going to be difficult without a credit card, but good luck & keep us posted
Old 26-07-2015, 17:11

It's OK, I get it now, temporary brain freeze. Don't get old you guys. lol
Old 26-07-2015, 17:22

As I understand it, you will be unable to rent a car without a credit card. The hire co 'ring fences' a deposit amount - £600 to £900 - to cover any un-insured damage when you return, or unpaid traffic fines etc. This deposit is not debited from your account initially- only if you return with a bent car.

I don't think you can do this with a debit card.

Sometimes, particularly regarding a deposit for the fuel, a paper credit card docket is filled in and they tear it up when you return with a full tank.

And I don't think offering cash to cover hire costs is any use.

Its a credit card or 'shanks's pony', as they say.
Old 26-07-2015, 18:39
Founder

I think you can use a debit card at Record, and maybe other places, so long as you take out their extra insurance. They need to be sure that any potential damage is covered.
Old 26-07-2015, 20:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollensa View Post
I think you can use a debit card at Record, and maybe other places, so long as you take out their extra insurance. They need to be sure that any potential damage is covered.
I'm not sure that this is correct. I used Record, although a couple of years ago, and even after agreeing to take their insurance they wouldn't accept a debit card as "security". Although I paid with a debit card, they insisted on swiping my credit card.

Maybe this has changed, I'm also interested to find out if any rental company will agree to hand over the keys without a credit card...
Old 26-07-2015, 22:09

My understanding is that unless you take their insurance then they make things very difficult for you. If you don't take the insurance then you need a credit card. And since March of this year most companies now charge the deposit to your credit card there and then. This is then subject of a 3% credit card transaction fee. And the same again when the hire company refund it. Quite an additional charge. Find a credit card that does not add this fee.
Good luck.
Hire car charges this week are massive and most companies are currently sold out.

Beware !!
Lorenzo likes this.
Old 26-07-2015, 23:08

mag is spot on they must take a credit card ,definatly not a debit card as they can't deduct further costs from a debit card.
Keep an eye on your bill when you get back as they are well known for putting on extra charges, the problem is trying to prove the hire co is in correct this takes months.
Old 27-07-2015, 11:14

Give Formentor motors a call.
Nice people and local in PP
Old 27-07-2015, 14:50

Hiring a car using a debit card...

My FlickR Photos

Last edited by El Gordo; 27-07-2015 at 14:58. Reason: Removal of links
Old 27-07-2015, 14:56

Found this on Bravocarhire:

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gordo View Post

Debit card car hire Spain

Many of our suppliers will accept debit card payment, though conditions always apply. Normally it will be necessary to take out the extra cover that the company offers, and sometimes a deposit will also be required. Please see below a list of the companies that current accept debit card payment, along with their conditions for this form of payment. N.B.: Not all debit cards are accepted: in general, Visa and MasterCard debit cards are fine. Cards that probably won't be accepted include Visa Electron, Maestro and those marked 'For electronic use only'.
As payment conditions vary from time to time and the information below may not be perfectly up to date, we do ask you to let us know that you need to pay by debit card when you book. You can just add a comment indicating the type of debit card in our Booking Form comments section.
Companies that currently accept debit card payment

Updated 09/03/2015
  • Centauro: Major debit cards accepted as long as their full extra cover (SMART insurance) is taken out and a 300€ deposit is left.
  • Drivalia: Major debit cards accepted by prior arrangement as long as their full extra cover is taken out.
  • Firefly: Major debit cards accepted as long as their full extra cover is taken out and a 650/700€ deposit is left.
  • Goldcar: Major debit cards accepted as long as their full extra cover (Super Relax) is taken out.
  • Record: Major debit cards accepted as long as their full extra cover (Comfort Plus Waiver) is taken out.
Please note: by 'major debit cards' we mean basically Visa and MasterCard Debit. Visa Electron and other 'For electronic use only' cards will almost definitely NOT be accepted by our suppliers. If in doubt, please contact us before booking. We don't want you to book a car and then be turned away on arrival at our supplier's desk!
Suggest you contact suppliers to confirm.

My FlickR Photos
Old 27-07-2015, 17:50

I think I'm just going to turn up at Palma airport and steal the first car I can get into
El Gordo, ryansclan and Yorkie like this.
Old 28-07-2015, 14:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallorcaboy View Post
I think I'm just going to turn up at Palma airport and steal the first car I can get into
Take Care.
You will suffer "Daylight Robbery" if you turn up without booking in advance!!

My FlickR Photos
Old 28-07-2015, 15:06

Yeah, I'm only kidding. I have got a company Credit card and I'm a Director, so should be fine....if not..... "sacked!!!!!!"
El Gordo likes this.