Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > BEFORE YOU GO > Car Hire, Airport Transfers in Majorca

Car Hire, Airport Transfers in Majorca Anything related to car hire both via UK companies and local companies. Can include discussions on motoring, bringing your own car, taxis, airport transport etc.

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Lorenzo
  • 1 Post By El Gordo
  • 2 Post By Disorderly

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24-05-2015, 08:21

Default Record carhire

Hi

I haven't used Record before but they seem quite competitive. Can anyone advise if they have used them recently and if so was there a ridiculous excess to pay even if you had insurance to cover damage that you've pre-purchased in the UK?

Thanks
Gill
Sponsored Links
Old 24-05-2015, 09:10

Hi, we used Record in March, almost against my better judgement due to previous experiences with them.
There were a few good bits & a few poor bits.
Thankfully not much of a queue at their desk in the airport.
Despite having a supposed 9 euro deal for the 8 days, this ended up as 192 Euros by the time they had added in all the 'compulsory extras'. This did include the charge for their 'comfort waiver all inclusive insurance' and also a full tank of fuel. The cost of the tank of fuel was refunded to my credit card the day after we returned to the UK. So the rental worked out about 140 Euros for the 8 days in the end. Not too bad I suppose but the first car we were allocated had quite a lot of dinks on it and then we noticed it didn't have a rear windscreen wiper blade at all. The car was changed without too much fuss by the Record car park office staff. However, the replacement was also full of dinks on the bodywork again. There were no hi-viz jackets in the car either. Not sure about the obligatory warning triangle as we didn't check.
All in all, we wished we'd got a car from Sixt who appeared dearer but was the same price we ended up paying!
Gp1602 likes this.

Last edited by Lorenzo; 24-05-2015 at 14:31.
Old 24-05-2015, 09:55

Mmm, Thanks for that. I wanted to book with Terry's as recommended on here but they don't have a car big enough for my family without entering a very expensive price range and then I was going to try Formentor car hire but they won't let me book until I have a flight confirmed!
I will price it with Sixt now.
Thanks
Old 24-05-2015, 16:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gp1602 View Post
............. was there a ridiculous excess to pay even if you had insurance to cover damage that you've pre-purchased in the UK?.................
All of the Hire companies accessed via brokers, have done away with zero excess!!

Unless you pay the additional insurance that the hire company offers you, you will always have the excess to be either blocked out or charged to your credit card.

Non are interested in the fact that you have personal insurance to cover Car Hire Excess, and will try to convince you that this insurance is inadequate.

Unfortunately in some circumstances, read the small print!! i.e. negligence, this may be true and also true of their insurance they offer you!!

If you are unlucky and end up paying the excess!! you then need to reclaim this from your insurer in the UK.
Lorenzo likes this.

My FlickR Photos
Old 24-05-2015, 18:15

My company of choice is Sixt and they have never queried the insurance4carhire I hold and have never tried to sell me add-ons. They have been a pleasure to deal with and it always seems to me that the "cheap" deal everyone seems towanttochase ends up costing more in the long run. Frankly, I'm happy top anymore to avoid queues and hassle.
Lorenzo and pansy potter like this.
Old 24-05-2015, 20:14

Disorderly do you not take the extra cover with them and just buy your own to cover it all?

Thanks
Gill
Old 25-05-2015, 08:42

Possibly not the correct thread, but worth knowing you can get a 10% discount from Goldcar by entering SUMMER2015 when asked for a Promo code.

10% is worth having these days!
Old 25-05-2015, 12:39

Thanks for the code
Old 25-05-2015, 17:56

Gill, I never take extra covers with any car hire firms and always rely upon the separate annual cover I buy in the UK. So far I've managed to avoid any pressure from car hire companies to duplicate that cover with their own extras.
Old 25-05-2015, 18:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gp1602 View Post
Mmm, Thanks for that. I wanted to book with Terry's as recommended on here but they don't have a car big enough for my family without entering a very expensive price range and then I was going to try Formentor car hire but they won't let me book until I have a flight confirmed!
I will price it with Sixt now.
Thanks
Try Vanrell no excess Full/Full very good company good prices to.