Pollensa Forum

Pollensa Forum (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/)
-   Car Hire, Airport Transfers in Majorca (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/car-hire-airport-transfers-majorca/)
-   -   DVLA Driving Licence Changes - Car Hire (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/car-hire-airport-transfers-majorca/12066-dvla-driving-licence-changes-car-hire.html)

Tangoman 27-04-2015 13:09

DVLA Driving Licence Changes - Car Hire

Just looking at Teletext on TV, and following info. cameon screen:-

Motorists going abroad after 8th June are being warned they will need to take a special code with them if they want to hire a car.

From that date the paper counterpart of UK driving licences - which records endorsements and fines - is being computerised.

Anyone wanting to hire a car abroad will officially need a code to show convictions for offences like speeding.

To obtain it , motorists will have to log on to the DVLA website beforehand.

Tangoman 27-04-2015 13:18

Car Hire Codes

Further reading reveals that this code must be obtained On-Line the day before travel, and is only valid for 72 hours.

So if you wish to hire during your second week in PP, for example, you will need to get Internet Access to do so, or face the car hire companies ringing a Premium DVLA line,( around £3 per min,) for which they will presumably pass on the costs to you.

lovemallorca 27-04-2015 14:13

DVLA Driving Licence Changes - Car Hire

There are some changes being introduced by the DVLA, which will see the paper counterpart of UK Driver's licences being scrapped.

This will mean that when hiring a car from this June, hirers will have to obtain a code from the DVLA to provide to rental companies, to confirm if they have any points on their licence.

Drivers will the old style licences are not affected,

An article from this week's Guardian explains more;

Holidaymakers are being warned to expect a summer of car hire disruption after it emerged that the DVLA is to scrap the paper counterpart of driving licences from 8 June, with drivers told to obtain a special online code before heading abroad – or possibly be refused a rental car.

In what it says is a purge on red tape, the DVLA is abolishing the paper counterpart that currently accompanies all UK photocard licences. It is advising drivers to destroy the document (not their paper licence if they still have one) because it will no longer be legally valid. Instead, all endorsements will be held electronically on a web-based service called “Share Driving Licence”.

But fears are growing that the “very muddled” introduction of the new rules will almost certainly lead to some hirers being turned away by car firms this summer. This is because many car hire companies insist on examining the paper document to check on any endorsements or bans.

After 8 June holidaymakers will have to log on to the DVLA website the day before they leave and input their driving licence number and national insurance number. The system will then generate a one-time passcode which the holidaymaker can give to the hire company when they arrive at the desk.

The code is only valid for 72 hours, which will mean that holidaymakers hiring a car in the second week of a foreign trip face having to find an internet cafe and log on abroad, or pay roaming charges, if they want to show the car hirer their record. If they fail to produce the online code, the car hire firm may call the DVLA’s premium rate line (charged at up to £3 a minute) to check the driver’s status – if they can get through.

A spokeswoman for Hertz says: “We will ask customers for the DVLA one-time pass code, or for the PDF of the driver record, or we will use the DVLA premium-rate line – but this has restricted hours of operation.”

DVLA says the Share Driving Licence system, which is still being worked on, will be ready in time for 8 June.

It says consumers will also be able to download their driving history as a printable PDF, although it is unclear whether all car hire firms will accept that, or how drivers without access to a computer will cope.

DVLA insists that the changes have been widely publicised but few people we contacted this week were aware of them, including frequent car hirers – and even people working close to the industry.

Consumers booking car hire for post-June holidays have not been warned the new rules are coming into play. The terms and conditions of most car hire firms still explicitly state that paper counterparts must be produced at the time of hire, and do not warn of the impending rule changes.

For example, Avis’s booking terms currently state: “You must bring your original driving licence with you in both parts if it is a new-style UK licence. Failure to bring both parts may result in the rental being refused.”

However, it said that from 8 June the counterpart will no longer be required, adding that it is working with the DVLA to ensure “minimal disruption”.

The British Vehicle Rental and Leasing Association which represents the car hire industry, says UK hirers unaware of the rule change will most likely be treated in the same way as those who currently turn up without both parts of the licence.

Staff phone the DVLA’s 0906 premium rate number, and charge the customer accordingly. It couldn’t say what would happen to car hirers abroad as foreign hires are not part of its remit.

Mark Bower of the car hire insurance website MoneyMaxim.co.uk is fearful of major problems at car hire desks across Europe this summer. “Most people are simply unaware that these changes are on the way – and it is not just renters. I spoke to one big car hire firm in Portugal this week and they knew nothing of the changes to UK licenses. Six weeks away from implementation the whole thing is very muddled.”

He advises holidaymakers to follow the DVLA instructions but at the very least to take their national insurance number with them.

He recommends that drivers obtain a PDF copy of their driving history from DVLA prior to heading off on holiday as “probably a wise move especially in the first months of transition”.

To access your driving history, the car hire company will enter the last eight digits of your driving licence, plus the passcode you have brought with you, “so it’s another thing that you have to remember to do just before departure. Or you can do it at the desk with your smartphone if you can remember the website address, don’t mind the data roaming charges, can remember your national insurance number and are impervious to the long queue developing behind you”.

Others forecast that renters will, in future, be required to let car hire firms access their driving history when booking – with possible implications for the price charged.

Ernesto Suarez of icarhireinsurance predicts that car hire firms will use the data to offer better terms to drivers with no endorsements or fines – and higher prices and higher excesses to those with a worse record.
Meanwhile, there are already questions over the accuracy of DVLA data.

Kenneth Kidd, from Bideford in Devon, contacted Guardian Money this week to say that when he logged on recently to the DVLA’s View Driving Licence service that is up and running, he was shocked to discover that he was listed as having no entitlement to drive anything. He stopped driving for a while fearing he could be arrested if stopped by the police.

DVLA said this week that this was a one-off that has now been corrected, but what would have happened if he rented a car after 8 June? A spokesman said: “Changes to the driving licence will take effect on 8 June 2015. There is up-to-date information on gov.uk and we are working closely with industry to ensure that their systems and processes are ready for the changes before we implement them.”

pollensa 27-04-2015 15:14

The website is here https://www.gov.uk/view-driving-licence I just need to find my National Insurance Number!

CORRECTION I guessed it correctly. I can view my details but the PDF to download (or special code) is not yet available.

And more info here: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/d...icence-changes

its cd 04-05-2015 20:08

I am assuming that because I am old enough to only have an old style paper licence I will be ok

Anyone know this for certain

supamac 05-05-2015 08:37

Never been asked for the paper in Mallorca and made a fresh booking at Centauro last Friday that takes the hire period through to 4th July and still no request for it, or a code.

pollensa 05-05-2015 08:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by its cd (Post 103112)
I am assuming that because I am old enough to only have an old style paper licence I will be ok

"Customers with paper driving licences

Paper driving licences issued before the photocard was introduced in 1998 will remain valid and should not be destroyed.

If you need to update your name, address or renew your licence, you will be issued with a photocard only." see DVLA website

Luckyone 05-05-2015 09:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by its cd (Post 103112)

Please see below copied from DVLA, I'm also old enough to still have a valid paper licence.

From 8 June 2015, you may wish to check with the hire company what they need to see when you hire a vehicle. If you are asked for evidence of what vehicles you can drive or confirmation of any penalty points, you will be able to request a unique code from GOV.UK which will allow you to share your driving licence details or you can download a summary of your driving licence record. The code will last for up to 72 hours and will allow the hire companies to make any necessary checks. You can also request a code by calling 0300 083 0013. This also applies if you have a paper licence that was issued before 1998.

Not all vehicle hire companies will ask for this information and we advise that you check with your hire company.

Belladonna 13-06-2015 13:04

Has anyone hired a car this month since the changes, and if so, which company requires what confirmation?
It would be great to keep this thread updated through the summer to advise people!
On a personal note, we always use Europcar and would be grateful for anyone who knows their decision first hand! :o

graham 13-06-2015 14:23

On another point, WHY has the DVLA got my national insurance number????

pips 13-06-2015 14:56

Another point if you're from Northern Ireland the paper copy still applies so don't be ripping it up!!! it seems this is a devolved government decision and still applies here.

Dunk 16-06-2015 22:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Belladonna (Post 104110)
Has anyone hired a car this month since the changes, and if so, which company requires what confirmation?
It would be great to keep this thread updated through the summer to advise people!
On a personal note, we always use Europcar and would be grateful for anyone who knows their decision first hand! :o

We use AVIS to hire our car in Majorca, mainly due to discount via my company. Although slightly different, I am currently on business in Madrid and hired a car from AVIS for the week, I printed the code off the DVLA web site and when I arrived at the desk in the airport, it was never even mentioned or asked for. Just took my photocard, passport and card, completed the paperwork and handed me the keys. So no issues with AVIS, hopefully this will be the same when we arrive in Majorca on 18th July. But Ill still print a code off and have my paper counter part. Just in case!!!!!!

Belladonna 16-06-2015 23:01

Thanks Dunk. Always worried that it may all change whilst we are mid flight! :o

smg 19-06-2015 14:39

Goldcar couldn't have cared less about dvla code, but said my old paper only licence was invalid....after a short argument they took my petrol money & gave me the keys, but I think they need some training...

M6lvs 22-06-2015 04:45

Arrived on the 13-6-15 armed with the new code to collect our car at Palma with Vives car and not even asked for the code , maybe in a bit of time it will be required as even at home it is not widely advertised Dvla have made a lot of changes to the system lately that don't appear common knowledge