Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > BEFORE YOU GO > Car Hire, Airport Transfers in Majorca

Car Hire, Airport Transfers in Majorca Anything related to car hire both via UK companies and local companies. Can include discussions on motoring, bringing your own car, taxis, airport transport etc.

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2014, 13:21

Default Goldcar fuel policy

Does anyone know if Goldcar have changed there full/empty fuel policy ?, looking at the website it seems to suggest they have gone back to the pay for what you use idea,I know they did this on car hire for 3 days or less but am hoping they have changed for longer rentals too.
thanks
Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-2014, 18:08

Hi Ironmanuk.......I used Goldcar in Jan, had a very good car for 2 weeks at 42 euro with fuel full to full at approx 105 euro.
When I returned it with nearly half a tank of petrol they said the value of fuel left would be refunded. I thought as we had had the car for over 3 days this was an error but on arriving back in the UK the first e mail was from Goldcar confirming £40 had been refunded and in my account..........how fabulous.
Hope it works for you.
Old 29-04-2014, 22:45

Just used them at Easter for the first time, airport service made Record look efficient (massive line and 3 staff get up and leave the desks) but decent car. However I returned the car full (got the photo to prove it) but they charged for refuelling and are proving difficult to get the money back off, so beware.

Equally, just had a look at Record and they now offer full tank and refund but appear to now charge a rip off 24 euros (non refundable) for the privilege
Old 30-04-2014, 13:08

The car companies have changed approach this year in response to bad publicity last year. Goldcar has always been my preferred option. They now offer 2 fuelling choices. Flexible fuel, whereby you pay for a full tank and they refund what you don't use. This is favourable for them as it ensures petrol used is covered but good for the customer as well who only pays for what he uses. They have a classic option whereby you can still have full:full if you wish but it costs 50 euros. The first choice obviously is the preferred option, the second simply safeguards them against people who used to return the vehicle without filling up with a full tank. The upside of Goldcar is they are price competetive and replace their cars annually. The downside is their popularity means, depending on circumstances, you can queue up to 2 hours or more and they quite aggressively try to up sell the additional car insurance. For my part I refuse the insurance but purchase an annual excess cover from Icar insurance and at the height of the season pay for priority check in.
Old 30-04-2014, 14:07

Depending on your requirements, I have found Hiper rent a car in PP very good.
Resorthoppa to and from the airport, which avoids the stress of the car hire check in desks and avoids the bag thieves who occasionally operate in the multistory car park. Then after breakfast next day down to Hiper in the Port to collect the car.
Petrol policy is full/full, with a deposit taken on a paper credit card slip. This is torn up if the car is returned with a full tank.
Never a problem with the PP staff.

d[B]what I am troubled wiv[/Bis this touch keyboard on my new Nexus 7 ' bin triing to report on my meeting with sparky but cophN paste poolus predictive text is a nightmare. You'll have to wait tillimbzckhome with ac ezztoaproper km eybrd
Sparky, Lorenzo and ragdollabbi like this.
Old 01-05-2014, 13:44

Just got back from wonderful week in PP. As usual used Goldcar for hire car and still think the extra you pay for priority pick up is well worth the cost. The new quick return service (flexi fuel) is really great. We got a brand new Citroën DS3 with 1200km on the clock. Didn,t do much travelling around airport to PP back, into Pollensa and Alcudia for Sunday markets. The impressive thing is that after dropping car off (simply drop the keys in the box) received an email 6 hours later saying they would refund 7/8th of the fuel costs. I would certainly recommend using them. Roll on September
Old 04-05-2014, 21:48

Just used record rent a car to find the whole fuel thing has changed. Presented with 2 options. I was confused. Option 1 i think was pay €24and you return it as is, and they charge you for what you have used ??? Option 2 was pay a €60 deposit, they then refund if you return it full. I did this one snd returned the car full this morning !
The above is confusing, because i am confused and possibly wrong so any toughts please.
Old 02-06-2014, 21:41

Just used Goldcar twice and uncovered a hidden charge each time.

Under their nice new flexible fuel / fast return service they make a hidden charge, which is not documented, for "logistical and operational costs". They have an equation for this which is based on engine size and price per litre and appears to be around 20 euro to 40 euro but, when they send you the refund letter, there is no breakdown of the cost nor do they confirm how much they are refunding.

I wondered why the girl on the desk was so insistent I did not fill the tank before returning it...

So, another twist in the fuel scam of rental cars, I just wish they were up front about it as the cars are good and very cheap, makes me reluctant to use them again

Mr Jilly
Old 03-06-2014, 17:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jilly View Post
.....................Under their nice new flexible fuel / fast return service they make a hidden charge, which is not documented, for "logistical and operational costs". .................................................. ..Mr Jilly
Having hired from Goldcar three times this year so far, at extremely good rates via DoYouSpain, I was surprised when I checked my card statements to find refunds for fuel not used.

Before the " Refund " system was introduced, according to the "small print", you were charged a "refilling/admin" charge in the price you were charged for a full tank!

So I don't think anything has changed apart from the fact that they are now giving you the cost of the "eighths" you did not use.

A step in the right direction IMO
debz1 likes this.

My FlickR Photos
Old 06-07-2014, 02:35

yes, they sent the 5/8 refund email before we'd landed, assuming that the refund goes though, I think that's a definite improvement. Another almost new, spotless car, as usual.
Old 09-07-2014, 18:05

Default avis fuel policy

Having just come back from another lovely holiday in puerto pollensa having a hire car from avis we found that they have now changed their fuel policy! In previous years we have taken the full/full fuel and like others on this forum have filled up on the last night,driven to the airport the next day and dropped off car at airport still with a full tank,however this year we were told we would have to fill up at a petrol station within 20kms of the airport and produce a receipt as proof.Due to having to be at the airport at 7.30am and not wanting to hunt for a petrol station and then being told they are not open that early anyway we felt we had no option but to pay for upfront fuel.Have been advised that this policy will stay unless there is enough negative feedback.
Old 09-07-2014, 21:26
Banned

A hire car company to avoid then?
Don't like that........
Old 09-07-2014, 21:40

Default avis fuel policy

To be fair the rest of avis service was good i.e the car was lovely (seat leon) with only 630 kms on clock and dropping off at airport went smoothly just felt that being told we could only refuel within 20 kms of airport was holding us to ransom!
Old 10-07-2014, 09:45

Are there any petrol stations within 20 kms of the airport?
Old 10-07-2014, 09:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bean Counter View Post
Are there any petrol stations within 20 kms of the airport?
Yes, there is a very handy petrol station if you take the last exit slip road before you actually arrive at the airport. There is a small petrol pump symbol just before the exit. Go round the roundabout and you will see the fuel station on the other side of the road. It's handy place as it's also got a small cafe area in it and also sells fresh bread and a few basic groceries etc too. All in all, it's a good place to drop into if you pick up a hire car with no fuel in it on arriving in Palma.

You can also use your Travel Card loyalty card there (the same one you can use in Eoski supermarkets) to gain a few extra points.
Bean Counter likes this.