Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > BEFORE YOU GO > Car Hire, Airport Transfers in Majorca

Car Hire, Airport Transfers in Majorca Anything related to car hire both via UK companies and local companies. Can include discussions on motoring, bringing your own car, taxis, airport transport etc.

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2014, 11:47

Default Avis

I was thinking of hiring a car with Avis for 2 weeks in June (as I can get a discount) but had 2 questions please:

- what are the fuel options, is there a return full option to avoid a refuelling charge either on return or up front?

- do they have a desk in the airport terminal, if not what are the arrangements for the collecting the car i.e. if off site?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-2014, 11:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulaf View Post
I was thinking of hiring a car with Avis for 2 weeks in June (as I can get a discount) but had 2 questions please:

- what are the fuel options, is there a return full option to avoid a refuelling charge either on return or up front?

- do they have a desk in the airport terminal, if not what are the arrangements for the collecting the car i.e. if off site?

Thanks
The Avis office is on the ground floor of the multi-storey car park directly opposite the terminal. All of the on-site car hire companies are based there, although many also have desks in the terminal.

Like all of the companies, they are busy during summer Saturdays, but they are very quick and efficient with each transaction.

Avis are always full to full (the blue-chip car hire companies don't do the full/empty nonsense) and have brand-new cars.

With any company that is providing full to full, you have to pay for the tank of fuel upfront. It is simply checked upon your return (at Avis with you present) and the card is refunded. If you brim the tank in the port, it will still be showing full when you arrive at the airport.

I'm back and forth alot, and really like Avis and Sixt, but would also suggest Vanrell (an Alcudia-based company).
Rosie34 likes this.

Last edited by lovemallorca; 08-02-2014 at 10:55.
Old 06-02-2014, 11:07

Many thanks, thought it was worth checking as Avis get bad press in some places and we've had a couple of problems with them elsewhere.
Old 06-02-2014, 11:32

Default Avis car hire in Palma Airport

Yes I agree that Avis are very good but I have some reservations about using them now. Hopefully for a 2 weeks rental you probably won't get hit with a massive daily charge for comprehensive insurance.
For a short rental last year, I thought I had got a bargain until they told me that the addtional insurance was 10 euros per day.and then had the temerity to add IVA on to it. The insurance and the IVA charge worked out at more than the car rental daily charge...
Back to Sixt and Hiper now
Old 06-02-2014, 12:20

We tend to use the large car Hire companies (AVIS,Hertz,Sixt etc) as I prefer to have a new car especially when hiring abroad (Just my personal choice). I am fortunate that the company I work for has a link with AVIS to hire all its business use vehicles when abroad so I get a substantial discount. However we have had a couple of very small problems with AVIS in the past. On one occasion the Audi we hired had crash damage on the front, although this didnt affect the vehicle it is not what you expect, On another occasion we arrived very late at night with 3 very young children and the car keys were just handed over, the car had a gear box lock and auto handbrake and took some time to realise how they worked, on both occasions I wrote and complained to AVIS on both occasions we received full refund of costs. The measure of a company is often how they deal with you if you have a complaint and AVIS have never been a problem. The majority of the time its been very smooth, efficient and quick. They offer a Full to Full service, but you can pay for a tank of Fuel and return empty, although we have never took this route the cost always seemed reasonable. With a company of this size you will always get complaints and issues which are highlighted but I prefer to know if a problem occurs it will be dealt with efficiently and professionally, which is something you dot always get with SOME cheaper companies. (Not all)
Old 06-02-2014, 17:38

Dunk, we always hire with Hertz for the same reasons you give. We like the reliability but as Lorenzo says the extra insurance, which we usually take, can work out more than the cost of the car itself (especially if you get a discount) I am sometimes tempted not to take out the Supercover Insurance but knowing our luck, that would be the time when we would need it. I know people seem to get good deals with some of the smaller rental companies and we have never tried them. I think it's swings and roundabouts as far as price is concerned with most of the 'big' companies though. Prices have gone up again this year I think but we'll stick with Hertz in the meantime
Old 06-02-2014, 22:30

Hi again, Paula. My current preferred car hire supplier at the airport is Sixt. V professional, clear pricing and clear extra option pricing. Better deal with them (usually) if one books months ahead and pay at time of booking. Used all the others over the years including Avis (they were ok, but I find their pricing on the insurance extras a bit difficult to pin down).

I also choose to take on some of the insurance extras (reason - more chance of a problem when driving on 'wrong' side of road and more chance of some scratches etc). Have had one incident of that type in visits covering 20+ years; and guess what - I didn't take up the insurance options in those days)
Lorenzo and pansy potter like this.
Old 07-02-2014, 14:33

Avis are just fine. New (ish) cars, always clean and decent prompt service when you return the car (always important when you have a plane to catch!).

The drawback, if there is one, is that at busy times there can be a long queue at the office in the car park, and they do tend to take their time about it! Don't know why....I've just come back from Tenerife and Auto Risen (highly recommended in the Canaries, by the way) processed us in three minutes flat while we waited for our bags to come off, which you can't do at Palma as Avis don't have a desk there.

By the way, for those who dislike the extra insurance costs, why not do as I do and take an annual policy with insurance4carhire. I've saved the cost of this cover over and over again by not having to pay the "add-ons" at the airport. Just a thought.
Old 09-02-2014, 09:35

Thanks all, I have my own insurance policy to cover the excess on the side to save having to buy the additional AVIS cover.
Disorderly - you say they don't have a desk at the airport, where do you go then, is it offsite?
Old 09-02-2014, 17:35

Quote:
Thanks all, I have my own insurance policy to cover the excess on the side to save having to buy the additional AVIS cover.
Disorderly - you say they don't have a desk at the airport, where do you go then, is it offsite?
Like nearly all of the larger rental companies, Avis have a desk within the baggage reclaim section of Palma Airport. That way, if it is busy when you arrive, one of your party can get in the car-hire queue, whilst another waits for the bags to come off.

You don't say what day you are arriving, but if it is a Saturday in June, there will more-than-likely be a queue. PMI is a very busy airport, but either way, it will be quicker than being taken on a minibus to an off-site location.

If you allow an hour from collecting your bags to hitting the road, you should be fine - It is often much quicker. Avis cars are full of fuel, so you can head straight off, and you will be in PP within around 45 minutes.

If you are choosing Avis, I always go directly to their office in the car park directly opposite arrivals, as if you check-in at the desk in the terminal, you will be sent there to collect your car anyway.

Here is a link on Google Streetview (taken out of season - It is never really that empty!);

http://goo.gl/maps/okcML

When you collect your bags, just leave the terminal by the nearest doors. You will come into an area lined with tour coaches, and you just go straight ahead to the car park opposite. (Simply walk below the overhead walkway) There is a cafe in the entrance to the carpark, and if you turn left, the Avis office is ahead of you.

I don't know how big your party is, but be mindful that often it can be cheaper to have two Corsa-sized cars, than a larger people-carrier. It is also worth noting that Avis (and Sixt) don't charge for an additional driver - Especially handy if, like me, you can be easily tempted into an extra lunchtime drink....
Old 10-02-2014, 11:34

Hi lovemallorca,
Yes it is a Saturday arrival in June unfortunately, and there are only the 2 of us and we will both be driving. Like you I normally go and collect the car in the arrivals hall whilst my husband waits for the luggage to save time, is the car park office is too far away to do this?
Old 10-02-2014, 18:50

Quote:
Hi lovemallorca,
Yes it is a Saturday arrival in June unfortunately, and there are only the 2 of us and we will both be driving. Like you I normally go and collect the car in the arrivals hall whilst my husband waits for the luggage to save time, is the car park office is too far away to do this?
It is just a couple of minutes walk to the carpark. Just remember to take both licences with you, as they will need to enter the details of both onto the rental agreement.

You will probably find that hubby has caught-up before you are processed if it is a Saturday, but going ahead is still a good idea.

My wife and I are also over for most of June - It is a lovely time of year to choose.
Old 11-02-2014, 09:15

Just one word of caution though ..... based on own experience from last week ....arrived at the baggage hall and left the better half to get the bags while I went off to join the anticipated queue with both our passports and driving licenses(as it is a requirment of the rental company to produce both forms of id ) at the desk in the baggage hall-
However as with all good plans ...the Rental desk baggage hall side was closed and I was left with the option of waiting also for the bags or leaving the hall and not being allowed to re-enter so on seeing the queue on the public side growing ever longer left other half with the baggage tags BUT NO ID and joined the queue.Got the car key etc and then began the tense wait at the arrivals area ... the world and his wife passed with their bags but not my other half after a while I called to say I was finished and waiting !!! yes you guessed it ..our bags had not yet appeared but the baggage hall was apparently nearly empty !!eventually they appeared with sighs of relief all round and we finally got on the road but not without the what if scenario discussed almost Alcampo -Auchan Supermarket.
Old 28-02-2014, 18:57

Can't speak too highly of Avis' customer service based on a rental in America last autumn. We had a recurring slow puncture problem. Rang their roadside assistance number who advised taking the car to their nearest office, about 40 miles away, and getting the tyre fixed. No problem and off we went. Arrived and the manager says "yes, we can fix the tyre, it'll take about 30 minutes. I'll get you some coffee. Or you can just take this enormous luxury beast of an SUV at no extra charge and be on your way right now. " Not his exact words but you get the drift. Yep, we'll take the beast, thanks very much" . Great service, including the roadside assist folk. All things being equal, I'd be renting from them again.
Rosie34 likes this.
Old 28-02-2014, 19:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemallorca View Post
Like nearly all of the larger rental companies, Avis have a desk within the baggage reclaim section of Palma Airport. That way, if it is busy when you arrive, one of your party can get in the car-hire queue, whilst another waits for the bags to come off.

You don't say what day you are arriving, but if it is a Saturday in June, there will more-than-likely be a queue. PMI is a very busy airport, but either way, it will be quicker than being taken on a minibus to an off-site location.

If you allow an hour from collecting your bags to hitting the road, you should be fine - It is often much quicker. Avis cars are full of fuel, so you can head straight off, and you will be in PP within around 45 minutes.

If you are choosing Avis, I always go directly to their office in the car park directly opposite arrivals, as if you check-in at the desk in the terminal, you will be sent there to collect your car anyway.

Here is a link on Google Streetview (taken out of season - It is never really that empty!);

http://goo.gl/maps/okcML

When you collect your bags, just leave the terminal by the nearest doors. You will come into an area lined with tour coaches, and you just go straight ahead to the car park opposite. (Simply walk below the overhead walkway) There is a cafe in the entrance to the carpark, and if you turn left, the Avis office is ahead of you.

I don't know how big your party is, but be mindful that often it can be cheaper to have two Corsa-sized cars, than a larger people-carrier. It is also worth noting that Avis (and Sixt) don't charge for an additional driver - Especially handy if, like me, you can be easily tempted into an extra lunchtime drink....
We have booked with Avis for late May - so does this mean that we can go straight to their office in the carpark to do the necessary paperwork etc rather than queuing in the terminal?

Thanks