Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > BEFORE YOU GO > Car Hire, Airport Transfers in Majorca

Car Hire, Airport Transfers in Majorca Anything related to car hire both via UK companies and local companies. Can include discussions on motoring, bringing your own car, taxis, airport transport etc.

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18-09-2013, 08:30

Default Holiday Autos - What A Disappointment

We decided last night to make an alternative car hire booking for when we arrive this Sunday as the prices have dropped considerably since we made our original booking a few months ago. We got a good price from Holiday Autos and liked that we could pay for the insurance up front. I read through everything and so did OH so we went on to complete the booking. When the rental voucher came through the car had changed from a Meriva to a Citreon Berlingo which we really didn't want and also there was a note to say 600 Euros would be taken as deposit even though we had paid for the insurance up front that covers excess tyres etc. I immediately cancelled the booking and are now wondering if we are going to have a struggle getting a refund as it is so close to the date of hire we are so fed up the car rental minefield
varsp likes this.
Sponsored Links
Old 18-09-2013, 08:49

We have used quite a few car hire places over the last twenty years, and we have lost faith in this service industry, so we are voting with "our feet" this October, and not hiring a car. We feel that we are being ripped off every time so, time to see how we cope without a car.
kcdc230 likes this.
Old 18-09-2013, 09:54

I totally agree with you Joelise - what you see before you get there is never what you actually get We were going to try carless next month but have now booked a car (3 weeks less than the 2 weeks in May/June), we have our own fully comp insurance etc which should cover everything - but I am still dubious about what they will try to charge when we get there. If we think we are being ripped off again - we will def do carless next time we are staying in the town area. In summer we need a car as we are in the countryside.

I really hope you manage to get a refund and find an alternative. ( we have booked with Goldcar (as in May) so maybe they might be worth a try - but we are quite cynical about them all now
kcdc230 likes this.
Old 18-09-2013, 09:57

I recently commented on another post about the inflexibility of renting apartments, so with this in mind and the hire car stresses we took the plunge last night to book an All Inclusive package deal for next year to somewhere else. It has cost significantly less than our apartment booking, flights and car hire combination for this September in PP.
It is such a shame that we feel so fed up with the hassle of getting to PP My OH has even suggested in the past, of buying a car to keep in PP as it might be less stressful than the whole car hire palaver.
Old 18-09-2013, 16:10

Talking

NEVER been driven to the extreme of not going to P.P !
Old 18-09-2013, 17:33

Always hire with Hertz.....and so far.....so good They may be a tad more expensive but I would rather pay a bit more and know that you are hiring from a reputable (hopefully) company Just hope everything goes to plan next month now.
Old 18-09-2013, 18:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragdollabbi View Post
Always hire with Hertz.....and so far.....so good They may be a tad more expensive but I would rather pay a bit more and know that you are hiring from a reputable (hopefully) company Just hope everything goes to plan next month now.
I could not agree more - Having spend some time working in car rental many years ago, we have learnt to always use one of the multinational rental companies. In actual fact, we find that they are often the best value too.

The problem is that so many people just go for what is the cheapest headline rate, and to get the bookings, the companies have to make up the difference by alternative means. Hence, you get silly situations like having to buy full tanks of fuel for short rentals, or expensive insurance products. In many ways, it is exactly like the budget airlines - The final price that you pay may well be comparable to a "premium" operator.

Fuel replacement is never going to be the same price as the pump, as the rental companies have to employ extra staff to refuel the cars, pay for it, and then handle the admin of charging for it. The premium rate is also to encourage you to return it full, as they can then simply valet it and have it ready for the next customer.

Holiday Autos also use a company that is off-site at Palma Airport, so you have to waste more time waiting for a bus, only to join a queue in their rental offices elsewhere.

If you book with the likes of Avis, Europcar, Sixt etc, it is always on a full to full basis, so you only need to replace the fuel that you use. The cars are also almost always brand-new, immaculately presented and the standard insurance covers the most likely situations where you are likely to claim.

There will nearly always be an amount for tyres and glass that cannot be waived (or will be at an extra rate), which reflects that some customers will do things in a rental car that they simply would not consider in their own. If the hirer has no financial interest in returning the car in the same condition that they rented it, the damage that a car will accumilate over one season, can easily exceed the income that it brings in.

Its not for me to defend them, but there are two sides to every story and some companies are just better than others.
Old 18-09-2013, 19:04

Must comment that we were 'ripped off' by Hertz a couple of years ago and the price quoted was about half the actual final cost
Old 18-09-2013, 19:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie34 View Post
Must comment that we were 'ripped off' by Hertz a couple of years ago and the price quoted was about half the actual final cost
You can now pay on-line ahead of your arrival, which takes away any potential for variation in the price quoted/actually charged. I always keep a copy of the print-out, although they also email you copies that you can present at the rental desk on your smartphone.

Out of curiousity Rosie, what was the variation? Did you make the booking direct with Hertz or via a broker or perhaps via your holiday company? Was the daily rate different to what you had been quoted, or were there extra items that you are unaware of/not allowed for?

Last edited by lovemallorca; 18-09-2013 at 19:29.
Old 18-09-2013, 21:19

We booked direct with Hertz and from what I can remember, it was extras - sorry cant remember exactly as OH deals with the 'car' finance side but I remember him saying that what we thought was going to cost about 350 actually ended up well over 500
Old 18-09-2013, 21:36

Rosie, sounds like you were charged extra insurance, perhaps to bring your excess down to nil. We do normally pay this as well and it can sometimes be nearly as much as the car hire cost (depending on duration and time of year) It's not cheap, I agree, but it does give peace of mind and you then know that you are not going to be charged with a huge excess for any damage however slight
Old 19-09-2013, 00:57

Don't forget Insurance4carhire who advertise on here
Car Hire Excess Insurance | Insurance4CarHire
A very modest outlay to cover all those nasty little excesses that the car hire companies ask you to take out extra insurance for.
Well worth a look which ever operator you are booking with.
roig cat likes this.

Last edited by clinkham; 19-09-2013 at 00:57. Reason: Typo.
Old 19-09-2013, 09:05

We took your advice Clinkham on this one (from your earlier post) and arranged the Insurance4car hire, so hopefully it will be accepted by Goldcar
Old 19-09-2013, 10:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie34 View Post
We took your advice Clinkham on this one (from your earlier post) and arranged the Insurance4car hire, so hopefully it will be accepted by Goldcar
The Insurance4carhire product insures you against any excess that you have to pay to a car hire company in the event of a claim. It is not a motor insurance policy that covers the use of the rental car, only your liability to pay them the excess amount.

The value of the product is that it is cheaper to buy than a CDW product that the car hire company is offering.

CDW is Collision Damage Waiver. A daily product that when purchased, reduces the excess that a hirer will need to pay in the event of a claim. Confusingly, nowadays it rarely completely removes the need to pay an excess, but just brings it down to perhaps 500 Euros. You then get into needing to buy "Super Collision Damage Waivers", that bring it down to a lower amount.

You still need to use Goldcar's insurance, but you don't need to pay for an additional "Super CDW product" to bring any excess down to a small amount, or nil.

I cannot remember what Goldcar's standard excess is, but it is worth establishing that before you go, just to ensure that the Insurance4carhire product is enough to cover it.

In the event of any claim, you will still have the excess amount taken from your credit card by Goldcar. You will then need to claim it back from Insurance4carhire yourself. (Any interest on the card transaction, I suspect will not be refunded)

So it is not really a case if Goldcar will "accept it". You remain liable to pay them the excess, it is just that you will then be able to make a claim on your Insurance4carhire to get your expenditure back.
Rosie34 and eleanor like this.
Old 19-09-2013, 10:48

Thank you very much for this extra info - will certainly check before we go