Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > BACKGROUND INFORMATION > Books, Guides and Maps

Books, Guides and Maps Read any good books lately? Did you manage to finish Captain Corelli's ...? Recommend your favourite travel guides and maps. Suggest holiday reads for kids.

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21-10-2010, 17:10
Founder

Cool Kindles on the Beach?

So has anyone succumbed & bought a Kindle? If you're blissfully unaware of what this is (where have you been?), it's Amazon's electronic gadget that lets you store & read thousands of books. It's about the size of a thin paperback & weighs even less. Battery life is phenomenal & you can get a version with both Wifi & FREE 3G (even in Spain). Not only can you use this to access Amazon & download new books but you can even surf the 'net. Admitedly the browser if quite basic but you can do it.

My brother-in-law who travels regularly for business has one. He has just bought one for his son who is currently studying in Hong Kong. My youngest son has just bought one with his birthday cash & the eldest has asked for one for Xmas.

I can see the advantages:

it saves on luggage space & weight, you can purchase a new book whilst sitting on the beach, stranded at the airport, it saves on clutter...

but I do like the look & feel of books, I think I'd find the thought of a whole bookshelf in my hand rather overwhelming but you may find one on my Wish List this year. Have a look at the Amazon Kindle & see what you think.
Sponsored Links
Old 21-10-2010, 17:41

I would love one Pollensa. Maybe Santa will bring me one, you never know!
I think its a brilliant idea for all the obvious reasons but I do love 'real' books too. I was thinking of getting one for my Mum who lives in Spain & can't get all the books she likes unless she orders them from Amazon anyway. This would save on postage & time for her.
Old 21-10-2010, 18:36

I've often toyed with the idea of getting one, but can't bring myself to do it. Call me old-fashioned but I like the feel of a book, the snap of the spine as you open a new one for the first time and I spend enough time looking at a screen as it is without curling up with one on the sofa or in bed. I love seeing the shelves groaning with books and stacked up in different places in the house!

I can definitely see the advantages for travel, with regards to weight and space but I doubt very much whether I'll ever be swayed into getting one. I have a feeling, though, that I'll be the only one saying this!
Old 21-10-2010, 18:44

You are not alone! I agree with everything you have said. It just wouldn't be the same and I just love to be able to grab a book at the right page and read for 1 minute to 3 hours without having to think about it. As an English teacher i'm afraid books are an extension of my body. Anything else would seem somewhat foreign!
I suppose in time they will become the norm. Pet hate = audio books!

Last edited by eleanor; 21-10-2010 at 18:45. Reason: typo
Old 21-10-2010, 18:56

Kind of destroys the Charity Shops secondhand book trade though!!!!!
Old 21-10-2010, 23:21

It's just so easy to pick up a book and shake the sand out of it - nothing for the grit to get onto! And what happens when your belongings are hit by a freak wave...as happens...often!
Old 22-10-2010, 09:05

.... and I bet no one will leave their kindle behind for me to read in the apartment!
Old 09-06-2013, 15:32

I am a novice to all these devices but am I right in thinking to have full use of the kindle you need to be near a wifi network so you can connect your kindle to be able to read these books. If your apartment doesent have wifi or you are on the beach how do you connect.......
Old 09-06-2013, 16:03
Banned

I'm about as "expert" as yourself but I'd guess that once you've downloaded a book it stays put until you delete it? Therefore once on the Kindle you would not need to be near any wi-fi area etc.

I'm sure the techno people on here will know for sure ?!
Old 09-06-2013, 16:09

Yea hadn't thought of that. See I am a novice ha ha xx
Old 09-06-2013, 16:17

Nickpaulanoah has it spot on,once downloaded the books remain on your kindle and the only time you would need wifi would be to archive or order more.
Old 09-06-2013, 17:28

Thank you so much for answering such a simple question. I am definitely going to get one me thinks xxxx
Old 09-06-2013, 23:19

Can not praise kindles enough! As a teacher I was totally against them! I LOVE books- most def did not want a computer book. Then my husband bought me one. It is the best! No more suitcase space taken up by all my holiday books. Downloaded n primed- ready to be read! Looks just like paper- no eye strain and best off all, no more being bashed on the head by heavy hardbacks.
I even have a waterproof cover so I can read in the bath - doubles up perfectly on the beach!
Seriously as someone who was so against them, I should now get commission from Amazon!
Buy one, you won't regret it! But only an original kindle or paper white- the rest are glorified iPads
pollensa likes this.
Old 11-06-2013, 14:31

I have a first-generation Kindle but I must admit I am not a fan - the screen on mine is quite hard to read (no built-in light), meaning I have to pack a fiddly clip-on light if I want to read in bed, or outside in the evening. I totally agree that nothing beats the feel and usability of a 'proper' book - I love everything about them, the look of the jacket, the smell of the paper even. But then I am a crime fiction editor, so I may be biased! I took my Kindle to the beach a couple of times but found the whole experience really unsatisfying - especially when I didn't spot that my battery was about to conk out on me just as I got to the real cliffhanger. I know books are a bit heavy in the suitcase but I tend to take ones that I know my husband will enjoy too - you can't pass a Kindle on once you have read it!
Old 11-06-2013, 14:58

I think ideally older people do like a "real book" but if you read 2 or 3 or more books in a fortnight you cant beat a kindle for holidays, or if you are in PP for longer periods where else can you browse thro potentially thousands of new books whilst sitting outside the Marina and buy one right there(quite a bit cheaper normally) Kate1 yes a little bit biased maybe , err how do light up a real book ,in bed or outside in the evening? and the battery , possibly gets low on a kindle after about 2 weeks from full charge so plenty of time to notice a low battery,, And has anyone left their paperback on the sunbed whilst going for lunch.. yes, book glue doesn't really like 80 degree sunshine. and you CAN pass on a kindle book to your husband/wife if you are on the same Amazon account.Having said all this , I still lik a browse in a book shop and I tend to still buy books as well so plenty room for both. but if a couple of people are packing books for a holiday , a kindle does leave more space/weight allowance in the cases for extra shoes remember