Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > BACKGROUND INFORMATION > Books, Guides and Maps

Books, Guides and Maps Read any good books lately? Did you manage to finish Captain Corelli's ...? Recommend your favourite travel guides and maps. Suggest holiday reads for kids.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2003, 17:52
Founder

Default “SNOWBALL ORANGES” WINS BRONZE AT US LITERARY AWARDS

“SNOWBALL ORANGES” WINS BRONZE AT US LITERARY AWARDS
AMERICANS JUST LOVE MAJORCAN ORANGE TALES
THE tale of a Scotsman and his family trying to grow oranges in Majorca is proving a huge success in the United States.
Author Peter Kerr's “Snowball Oranges,” the first of two books he wrote about his experiences on the island, has just been awarded the bronze medal in the travel category at the Book Expo America 2003 in Los Angeles, out of 100'000 books published annually in the States. “That's not bad going,” said Peter Kerr yesterday.
The hardback edition of “Snowball Oranges” has been out in the United States for a year with the paperback version about to be published “so the timing of the award couldn't have been better,” Kerr says. The second part of the family's orange growing experiences, “Mañana, Mañana,” is to be published in hardback at the same time: “all good flag-waving stuff for Majorca.” Kerr said. “Snowball Oranges” was nominated for competition at the Los Angeles book fair by a jury of booksellers, librarians, reviewers and other industry professionals selected to pick a shortlist of finalists in each genre published in the United States in any given year, the chosen books based on orginality or the narrative, the value the boos adds to its genre and its ability to entertain readers. The prestigious American Book of the Year Awards, announced at the Book Expo last Friday, are organised by the United States' leading literary review magazine Foreword, and were established to recognise the literary achievements of authors in a wide range of categories. “Given the competition that exists in a country as big as the USA, the value of the book simply being nominated was considerable,” Kerr said. “Having the book shortlisted for such an important American award came as a surprise to compare with having its sequel “Mañana, Mañana” shortlisted for Britain's WH Smith Book of the Year Awards last year. “We were ultimately pipped at the post for the latter, but the thrill of winning bronze in the US is immense. “It's also great to know that my books about Majorca are receiving such wide recognition,” Kerr said.

Majorca Daily Bulletin 5th June 2003

These books make brilliant holiday reads. They are absolutely hilarious and at the same time are filled with detail about living on the beautiful island of Mallorca. They are both available in paperback in the UK
For more see Mallorca Fiction
Sponsored Links
Old 28-10-2003, 09:26
robjay

These books are as good as your review says. They are that good i have read them over and over again even taking them to Mallorca with me!!!!.
And now for some even better news for all SNOWBALL ORANGES fans.............................................. .........

Viva Mallorca!
Viva Mallorca!
One Mallorcan Autumn
Peter Kerr

ISBN : 1 84024 380 5

£7.99 Paperback

Publication Date: May, 2004

129 x 198 mm, 320 pages

Autumn has arrived for the Kerrs on their fruit farm on the island of Mallorca …

The year’s third season, ‘winter spring’, finds Peter, under the sharp eye of his long-suffering wife Ellie, struggling to shake off the relaxed Spanish tranquiloness that he has now mastered all too well. Old friendships have been established, and new ones are found as the Kerrs are introduced to Mallorca’s champagne-swilling Filthy-Rich-Set and their eyes are opened by just how the other half lives …

Mosquito-repellent vinegar baths, delicious Mallorcan food, and with background support from dogs, donkeys, geckos, parrots and canaries, this is an autumn such as they’ve never known – Y Viva Mallorca!

Viva Mallorca is the third book in the award-winning series by Peter Kerr, following Snowball Oranges and Mañana, Mañana.

And if like me you can't wait until may 2004

Events with this author
23rd Oct, 2003 @ 8:00 PM FOB, 18 - 20 Church St, Sheffield
As part of the Off the Shelf Festival of Writing:
'SNOWBALL ORANGES - A Spanish evening with best-selling author Peter Kerr. Tickets £6 (£5 cons.) incl. buffet. Tickets from the Crucible Theatre, Sheffield 0114 249 6000

5th Nov, 2003 @ 7:30 PM Connections, Back Row, Selkirk
A Spanish Evening with best-selling author Peter Kerr. Tickets £2 incl. glass of wine. Tickets from Selkirk Library, 01750 20267

11th Nov, 2003 @ 1:45 PM Sprotbrough Library, Doncaster
A talk with Q&A from best-selling author Peter Kerr. Tickets 50p incl. refreshments. 01302 782436 for further details.

11th Nov, 2003 @ 3:15 PM Conisbrough Library, Doncaster
A talk with Q&A from best-selling author Peter Kerr. Tickets 50p incl. refreshments. 01709 869509 for further details.

And a little bio about Peter Kerr

Peter Kerr was born in Lossiemouth, County Moray, but since his early childhood has lived (on and off) in East Lothian.

Having left school, Peter joined the Civil Service as an Executive Officer - but given his flamboyant and dynamic nature, he found the role inhibiting and far too conventional!

In the early '60s Peter moved to London to pursue a career as a professional jazz musician, touring with the Clyde Valley Stompers and recording for producer George Martin (who also produced for The Beatles). Peter, on the clarinet, was the leader of the band.

The Clyde Valley Stompers produced many a successful hit, one of which was the great 'Peter and the Wolf'. The band appeared on several television programs including The Morecambe and Wise show and Thank Your Lucky Stars. Their music was also featured on Radio 2 in Brian Matthews' Saturday Club Easy Beat Music show.

Back in East Lothian in the 1970s Peter became heavily involved in record production. His 'Amazing Grace', produced for the Royal Scots Dragoon Guards, sold approximately 13 million records.

In the early 80s, Peter and his wife turned to farming, and farmed barley and beef cattle. When the recession hit, they took the bit between their teeth and decided to take their farming skills to Mallorca, where they bought an old farmhouse with an orange farm, mucked in with the locals and set to work.

The couple lived in Mallorca with their two sons for three years. Snowball Oranges, written on their return, hilariously recounts the early days.

Peter Kerr and his wife have now retired from farming and live back in East Lothian.

Well I have tickets for the Selkirk event on the 5th i hope to see some of you there.

RobJay
Ps I have taken all the above information from www.summersdale.com I hope they don't mind
Old 10-11-2003, 01:47
robjay

Well If you missed Peter Kerr's talks you missed out on fantastic night!.
He is one of the funniest authors i have ever met, His love for the people and the land and his enthusiasm for Mallorca is to say the least infectious. He read passages from his 3 current books and told us little background stories that had us laughing in the aisles :rollin .
As a finale he read a small passage from his new book "Viva Mallorca" and told the funniest background story which left me and the rest of his audience with sore sides and tears running down our cheeks with laughter :lol . This teaser was enough to leave us wishing it was May and had us running off to the travel agents to book our next venture under Mallorcian skies.
No doubt Peter kerr will be doing a promotion for his new book due out in May, I for one will be first in line for tickets!.
Take my advice don't miss the opportunity to meet and hear him.
Anybody who hasn't read his books, visits Mallorca without the insight living on a small orange farm has given Peter kerr and is missing out on a fantastically funny set of travel guides! 8o .
RobJay