Pollensa Forum

Pollensa Forum (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/)
-   Books, Guides and Maps (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/books-guides-maps/)
-   -   Holiday Reading (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/books-guides-maps/1451-holiday-reading.html)

mallorcaboy 26-07-2005 04:12

Holiday Reading

This probably means that I'm not keeping myself busy enough, but wondered what was people's fav reading whilst here?
Being here full time, we brought a load of stuff as we read all the time, and also had to get rid of a load of books that we loved and kept for some reason.
Anyway, I've done quite a few since the move, but at the moment I'm reading Lake Wobegon Days by Gairison Keilor and my son told me I had to read Stephen Hawking's A Brief History of Time. I suspect that will not be brief as it is propping up a bottle of Gordon's in the office at present.

robjay 26-07-2005 04:13

Mallorcaboy, having read Stephen Hawkins "A Brief History of Time", I look forward to your review!:rollin :rollin :rollin .
I think son is trying to tell you something. This book is heavy.
My suggestions just has to be Peter Kerrs books, read them and if you can write better I for one will buy your books!.
Take care.

Rob

mallorcaboy 26-07-2005 04:23

Firstly, I think I may have posted this in the wrong place, perhaps Tapas Bar should be correct. If so, Pollensa please move.
Secondly, I have said in an other post, I read everything I can about Mallorca, but did not enjoy Peter Kerr's books. I know we all like different things, but I found it a poor relation to the original stuff by Peter Mayle that everyone who can us a PC has copied. Sorry

robjay 26-07-2005 04:30

No Probs Mallorcaboy, to each his own. I'll read some peter mayle, which of his books should i read 1st?.

Rob

mallorcaboy 26-07-2005 05:01

Hi Rob, A Year In Provence was first then Toujour Provence, then it went on a bit with things like Hotel Patis, Anything Considered etc. I guess when you get a license to print money, you can't resist. Let's be honest, wouldn't we, given half the chance??

PennyWhite 28-07-2005 01:46

Well I read Manana Manana by Peter Kerr I think on the plane coming over and it was the first book of the holiday, as you say Mallorcaboy, not as well written as Peter Mayle, but then, Peter Mayle isn't in the right place. I actually learned a few facts, well, I think I did, are those plastic bags hanging off the pine trees for the caterpillars of the processionary moth? You'll have to read the book if you don't know what I mean! Also that the mountain roads were built by incoming Andalucian labourers who largely stayed but haven't really been accepted... I did think of them as we drove the crazy roads around Lluc and the like, and to Cap Formentor.

After that I read Case Histories by Kate Atkinson, her new one which has put her back on form after a couple of very strange efforts...

Then The Killing Joke by Anthony Horowitz which was recommended by a friend, pretty strange book but amusing.

then The Olive Harvest by Carol Drinkwater... sent in Provence again, worth reading. Quite a bit about fighting forest fires, made me view the seaplane in the harbour with great respect!

Then Trace by Patricia Cornwell - lovely! In one day, followed the second day by one I found in the apartment, Black Notice. My life must be so dull I need to spice it up with gory forensic details....

Light on Snow by Anita Shreve, a really good book, bit girly I expect for you chaps but beautifully written and one that makes you think a bit...

Then The Five People you Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom, I saw other people reading that on the beach, very thought provoking again, very well written, recommended.

Midnight Cab by James W Nichol, wow, that is quite a read, real edge of the seat stuff.

and finally (actually I think I picked up a trashy detective thing for the journey home that ended up in Easyjets rubbish bag)
Miracle at Sant'Anna by James McBride, recommended, bit of a strange one but very good indeed. Four American soldiers in Italy in World War 2... a lot more complicated than that!

I have been given Small Island by Andrea Levy to read as a reviewing project for the summer, too late for me to take to PP, anyone read it? Comments please??!!

debz1 28-07-2005 02:35

Penny

Now I love reading on holiday but the number you read must be a record ;) I nomally do 3 or 4 on a 3 weeker but I think (and as Snowy knows my maths is bad ) I think you did 10..WOW :eek

I am seriously impressed!

Debs

PennyWhite 28-07-2005 04:50

Books

And I forgot a Jeffrey Deaver, Garden of Beasts I think, I am a Lincoln Rhyme fan, but this was incredibly boring, I did finish it (I am the girl who found the Da Vinci Code last year boring....). Yes, I am a fast reader given time to get into something, I do almost all my year's reading when on holiday. perhaps we are not a particulary talkative family? I am certainly not very sporty!

mallorcaboy 29-07-2005 14:33

Re: Books

Hi Penny, I read The Five People You Meet In Heaven, a couple of weeks ago, and enjoyed it very much.
Just finished a Karin Slaughter book, A Faint Cold Fear, and it was good, but turns out to be one of those seriel stories, and it was about number three, so was a little spoilt. Could go back and read the first two I guess, but I picked it up in the Salvation Army shop opposite the Flora Apartments for 1 euro so may have to wait a bit until someone donates them

Jimsboy 29-07-2005 16:58

Holiday Reading

Good morning,

I recently thoroughly enjoyed "Soldiers of Salamis" by Javier Cercas. A smashing tale by a young author. The book has been made into a film fairly recently.

mallorcaboy 29-07-2005 17:15

I started to read Shadow of the Wind, but just couldn't get on with it. I think it mus be a "girlies" book:\

PennyWhite 30-07-2005 01:01

Got through it but it is a bit of a tome... I love Barcelona so found it all very atmospheric... did go on a bit though.

mallorcaboy 01-08-2005 23:42

It came highly recommended, so just goes to show how differenet we all are. Now where did I put my pop up version of War and Peace??

Pinewalkpaddy 05-08-2005 03:10

Driving over Lemons by ex-Genesis drummer Chris Stewart is hard to beat for a holiday read and very appropriate,you'll never come home!:D

robjay 05-08-2005 07:00

So is his second book Parrot in the pepper tree. Have you read that?.
Have you read any Peter kerr books?.

Rob