Pollensa Forum

Pollensa Forum (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/)
-   Books, Guides and Maps (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/books-guides-maps/)
-   -   A Lizard in my Luggage (https://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/books-guides-maps/1438-lizard-my-luggage.html)

pollensa 10-03-2007 23:14

A Lizard in my Luggage

http://www.puertopollensa.com/Images...1840245654.jpgGreat News - a new book about Mallorca - tells the story of Anna Nicholas who learnt to 'commute' between London & Mallorca...

"On a visit, Anna impulsively decided to buy a ruined farmhouse. Despite her fear of flying, she kept a foot in both camps and commuted to Central London to manage her PR company. But she found herself drawn away from the bustle, stress and the superficial media world towards the tranquil life. She soon realised that her new existence was more enriching and fulfilling. She was learning to live life for its moments rather than race through it in the fast lane."

For more details see puertopollensa.com/Books2.html#fiction Have just ordered my copy!

Belladonna 12-03-2007 23:27

.. ok, Ive read that bit, turn the page now!! Looks good, will put that on my list for Mothers Day present!! ;)

bonez1977 13-03-2007 06:18

re a lizard in my luggage

ooh
i must keep an eye out for that one..... looks and sounds good.... thanx for that pollensa.....:rollin
love bonez xxx:)

Mariquita 20-03-2007 17:46

Have just got this from Amazon £6.39 to read whilst I'm out in Puerto Pollensa next week. I'll let you know what it is like

pollensa 20-03-2007 23:18

Have gone mine too but can't decide whether to save it for our next trip in May or start it now...

Belladonna 21-03-2007 19:52

Asked for it for mothers day, ..... and got a bottle of perfume??!!

PeRu 25-03-2007 07:37

Just finished reading Anna Nichols A Lizard in My Luggage.
A great read full of fun and the joys of frisndship both in Majorca and London. Well worht reading. I'm looking forward to her next one!!
It was purchased at our local Independent Book Shop.
Buy snd Enjoy!!!
PeRu

robjay 27-03-2007 00:35

This sounds like it could be a really good book. I'll look out for it in the bookshop.
Thank you for the reviews.

Take care.

Robjay

Belladonna 28-03-2007 02:25

Have now bought it myself; wrapped it up; given it to my son to give to me for Easter! :D

Mariquita 10-04-2007 16:18

Have now read this but I was not overly impressed. It seems to have been written from a series of notes that did not always follow on.There wasn't any depth to the writing and I wouldn't bother with any follow up books.

Not a patch on the Kerr books.

JH02JLH 10-04-2007 19:58

Just my personal opinion, but I agree with Mariquita on this one.

I bought the book on Friday because I happened to be in WH Smith and started reading it over the holiday weekend. I tend to read in bed and if I've got a really good book on the go, I can't wait to go to bed and read!

But I think this formula has been done to death now - the original (and perhaps the best?) was Peter Mayle and there seems to be hundreds that have followed in his trail, but I don't think I can bring myself to read any more of these tales of moving abroad and living with the locals.

They all seem to follow the same formula - couple finds run-down house, fall in love with it, do it up and then attempt to write a book out of "funny" things that happen to them - like going to see a neighbour's donkey or having an imaginary conversation with a toad...:eek

I'm a third of a way through this, so I may do an abrupt U-turn and change my mind, but at the moment it's not ringing any bells for me and I can't bring myself to like the central character either.

Just my personal opinion...;)

Jane:D

Belladonna 20-04-2007 16:37

Seems to be a thumbs down all round on this one! Am struggling through it with grim determination but can hardly manage a chapter (or lizard break) before I fall asleep. Such a shame, but maybe we have all been spoilt by the Chris Stewart, Peter Kerr, Carol Drinkwater and Derek Lambert fore runners.
Havent come across the Peter Mayle one Jane - whats the title? 8o

JH02JLH 20-04-2007 20:13

Bella,

Peter Mayle's book was "A Year in Provence" which I enjoyed, as I did Peter Kerr's books about Mallorca, Annie Hawes' "Ripe For The Picking" and Chris Stewart's "Driving Over Lemons". Another is Frances Mayes "Under a Tuscan Sun".

Perhaps this was just one book too far, though and I found it very irritating. I was also left with the impression that the characters in "Lizard" were made up. They were perfect in every way - welcoming, friendly, generous to a fault...

Maybe Brtitish forum members who've lived in Mallorca can prove me wrong, but all these characters seeem to be recycled from other books...the grumpy (but loveable) old woman neighbour, the local tradesmen who become immediate bosom-buddies, the very convenient friends who suddenly appear and are able to speak fluent English and introduce our author to a wide circle of other friends who immediately accept them. It's all so wonderful and perfect...

I don't normally rant like this about a book, but this one struck a chord somehow. It was too much like a formula, with ideas "borrowed" from other books. And it left a bad taste in my mouth.

Jane:\

Belladonna 10-05-2007 07:08

Mmm, struggled through to the end. The only saving grace was the few words of Mallorcan that were scattered about for interest. Didnt seem to hold any depth of interest in anything that occurred, although it could have done if approached correctly I felt. The author appeared too self absorbed for any other story line to get a look in. And what the hell was that all about with the flipping toad???? :eek

JH02JLH 11-05-2007 04:44

"Self-absorbed" is a good way to describe how the author came across in this book.

I can't put my finger on exactly why I've taken so badly against this book...after all, I love reading stories about how people move abroad and what happens to them.

This story seemed false somehow...and the toad conversations were just plain silly!

Jane:rolleyes