Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > BACKGROUND INFORMATION > Books, Guides and Maps

Books, Guides and Maps Read any good books lately? Did you manage to finish Captain Corelli's ...? Recommend your favourite travel guides and maps. Suggest holiday reads for kids.

Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By kate1
  • 2 Post By cherylbb
  • 2 Post By sws97sdg

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2013, 16:13

Default Recipe Book

Hi, I hope it is ok to post this question here. While we were in Mallorca on holiday we enjoyed many local dishes. I was just wondering if anyone knew of any good recipe books with traditional Mallorcan cuisine in.
Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-2013, 16:26
Founder

Welcome to the forum. We have a few recipe books here PuertoPollensa.com - Book on Food & Drink. Several of the Rick Stein ones are from Mallorca. Also the Walk & Eat book in this section Walking Books on Majorca has several recipes as well as walks & can be purchased from Amazon.
Old 09-05-2013, 16:29

The two I have are both very good, in different ways: TASTE OF A PLACE MALLORCA by Vicky Bennison, which is a mixture of authentic recipes and chapters on ingredients and where to find them, along with restaurant recommendations; and COOKING IN SPAIN by Janet Mendel, which obviously covers recipes from the mainland as well but includes Mallorcan dishes. I probably use this book more than any other as the recipes are very simple and often include very few ingredients (a plus in my eyes!).

I did notice, while we were in PP in April, that there was a rather nice-looking cookbook for sale (in English) in the gift shop on the Pine Walk - is the shop called Aurells, or something similar? I'm afraid I can't remember the title but that would be another one to look at.
sws97sdg and rachk116 like this.
Old 09-05-2013, 16:30

theres a book called Chickens Mules and two old fools;; by victoria twead,, its not particularly mallorcan , its only about £2 on amazon kindle , its a nice story about a couple moving to spain etc etc but it also includes in every chapter , a spanish recipe ,, lots of tapas recipes and good traditional spanish food,, and a good story as well
Old 09-05-2013, 16:33

I forgot BREAD AND OIL by Tomas Graves (son of Robert), which isn't a cookery book but does have quite a few suggestions for various types of pa amb oli - as well as being a fascinating book about Mallorca and its oldest culinary tradition.
Old 09-05-2013, 16:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by kate1 View Post
The two I have are both very good, in different ways: TASTE OF A PLACE MALLORCA by Vicky Bennison, which is a mixture of authentic recipes and chapters on ingredients and where to find them, along with restaurant recommendations; and COOKING IN SPAIN by Janet Mendel, which obviously covers recipes from the mainland as well but includes Mallorcan dishes. I probably use this book more than any other as the recipes are very simple and often include very few ingredients (a plus in my eyes!).

I did notice, while we were in PP in April, that there was a rather nice-looking cookbook for sale (in English) in the gift shop on the Pine Walk - is the shop called Aurells, or something similar? I'm afraid I can't remember the title but that would be another one to look at.
Yeah, I remember the book in shops in Puerto Pollensa but I completely forgot to go back and get one. I wish I could remember the details of it so I could look online. Thanks for the other recommendations. I will look at them on Amazon.
Old 09-05-2013, 17:14

Not just Mallorcan but covering the whole of Spain, the spanish cookery 'bible' is 1080 Recipes by Simone & Ines Ortega, selling millions of copies over 30 years in Spain alone. It has recipes for every dish you can think of & many you never would, with illustrations & photos. You can buy the english version on Amazon. I love it & often just read it as a book on a cold winters night.
Buen provecho!
sws97sdg and kate1 like this.
Old 09-05-2013, 18:31

I have that one Cheryl, its a brilliant one, and great to read as well. Another one with more Mallorcan recipes in is Modern Spanish Cooking by Sam and Eddie Hart, they were born and still visit Mallorca and the book has recipes for Frit Mallorquin, trempo, tumbet as well as ensaimadas!
kate1 and cherylbb like this.

On island time!!