Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Beaches

Beaches Do you have a favourite beach? Know of any activities on specific beaches?

Like Tree29Likes
  • 2 Post By Nick
  • 6 Post By fil6699
  • 3 Post By lollipop
  • 1 Post By Sparky
  • 2 Post By fil6699
  • 3 Post By kate1
  • 2 Post By fil6699
  • 1 Post By Sparky
  • 1 Post By MairiCladach

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21-04-2012, 09:51
Super Moderator

Thumbs down No Blue Flag

PP's beach has lost it's blue flag this year and so has Molins and Barques in Cala San Vicente and Formentor this is because the town hall did not to apply for them, the consequence of the problems with the contracts for beach management last year and probably this year as well .
The full story is here :- Pollença pierde las cuatro banderas azules de sus playas por no tramitar la renovación » Part Forana » Noticias » Ultima Hora Mallorca
Old 21-04-2012, 13:07
Banned

Someone in the town hall needs sorting out. This is pathetic and potentially suicidal to the port.

For goodness sake, probably the main reason you choose Spain for a summer holiday is to use the beach ? That beach MUST be the best it can possibly be.

Unbelievable.....
Sparky and usandthewoof like this.
Old 21-04-2012, 20:22

its not good but not sure people pay that much attention to the flag status thing bet if you asked people why they booked a resort not 1 would say because it had a Blue flag. Most wouldn't even know what they mean. So I don't think its quite suicidal. I agree its pathetic.
pollensa, Sparky, lollipop and 3 others like this.
Old 22-04-2012, 14:23

For very good reasons, we have not been to PP as yet this year but from what I read and comments posted on this and other sites, in some ways things are a changing. I agree with Nickpaulanoah in that the beach is a very unique selling point for the Port and the council seem to be making a real botch of looking after it, either directly or via whatever contracts they award. Likewise, I am told the nature area at La Gola is not being looked after properly and has become a meeting area for drinking by local youths. I think I am right in saying this is a council / local police problem. Only 2 immediate areas but 2 which the tourists come to visit and should be on the top of the councils "must do" list to get right. Money is tight and the canny traveller will go where his/her bucks get the biggest bang. I think the council must get it's act together, quickly.
Old 23-04-2012, 09:09

personally I think the beach is looking good at the moment, apart from having no beds, but it has not stopped the families enjoying it on the recent sunny days.
sws97sdg, Sparky and fil6699 like this.
Old 23-04-2012, 09:24
Super Moderator

Yes i agree Lollipop .
lollipop likes this.
Old 23-04-2012, 11:29

I agree. We actually prefer it without all the Beds etc. I know they have to put some out but it would be nice if they left more beach areas open for family's to do there own thing and for kids play.
Sparky and lollipop like this.
Old 23-04-2012, 12:21

I agree too - much prefer it without all the beds though I can see that for people with mobility problems getting on/off the sand could be a real problem. I thought also that the sand looked beautifully clean - cleaner than in the last couple of years, in fact, when I assume it did still have Blue Flag status. They certainly seemed to be working hard every day at beach maintenance. Tbh I didn't even realise that the Blue Flag scheme also operated in Spain so it has never been a factor in our coming to PP... I think most people judge by what the beaches actually look like when they arrive, and (so far) the situation seems to be under control. Thought the Pine Walk pathways also looked much cleaner - dog owners seemed to be scooping the poop much more than previously, which heightened the overall impression of cleanliness.
pollensa, Sparky and lollipop like this.
Old 23-04-2012, 13:21

For those who want to know more about the Blue Flag, and who awards it and how its obtained . see the link bellow.
Beaches
Sparky and lollipop like this.
Old 23-04-2012, 13:53
Super Moderator

Thanks for the link Fil, interesting that it only says "beach equipment must be maintained" but does not say beds & brollies must be provided .
lollipop likes this.
Old 24-04-2012, 20:02

While I do get what folk are saying about the beach being better without beds (brought up on the Isle of Lewis I've spent many many hours 'roughing it' on the sand!), I do personally rely on the Pine Walk beds. I am a total water baby and can spend hours swimming in the bay. When I come back ashore I love being able to flop down on my sunbed to dry off and relax awhile with a good book. My mum, who's in her seventies, would also hate to be without a comfy lounger.

As a random and totally irrelevant footnote... when I broke afore-mentioned bodypart last July en route to the 'powder room' during a 'Come Fly With Me' performance (I was totally sober, the aisle was totally dark, honestly!!!), the beds were an absolute godsend. I spent the last 3 days of my hols on the beach beds with big bags of ice on my poor foot, now and then hobbling over to Corb Mari for food and a wee drink to ease the pain. Silly maybe (I didn't go near a doc for a whole week after, and ended up in a moonboot for over two months), but I LOVE the beach and can't wait to get back there, exactly 3 months from today, hip hip hooray!
Sparky likes this.