Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Beaches

Beaches Do you have a favourite beach? Know of any activities on specific beaches?

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2011, 15:09
Founder

Default Formentor Beach 2011

For the sake of forum members I have carried out some research for you & spent several hours today relaxing on Formentor Beach! We invariably end up there on our last day & always wish that we had gone earlier. It is beautiful!

We normally drive and take filled-baguettes & water with us. This time we also hired sunbeds & parasol.

So if you drive, the Car Park entrance is now 7 EUR with no money back against cafe purchases (as in the past). We arrived at around 10:30 am when there were plenty of spaces (best to park on the left for shade later) but it was nearly full when we left at about 3 pm.

You can also get there by Bus , Boat & Taxi but if you want Sunbeds you do need to get there befire the first boatloads arrive.

When you first arrive, if you face the sea, there is a smallish beach to the right with some sunbeds but no facilities. Sunbeds are 4.50 EUR each or 13.50 EUR for 2 with a parasol. There is a beach shop, toilets & self-service cafe to the left of the entrance. As mentioned elsewhere soft-drinks cost 3.20 EUR & Ice Creams are about 3 EUR. I didn't see the meal prices BUT if you walk further along to the left there is a smarter Italian Restaurant where starters e.g. Melon & Ham costs 20 EUR & pizza or pasta is about 16 EUR.

If you walk to the left towards the Formentor Hotel, there are a fair amount of sunbeds but you do need to arrive early (or late). The beach is less crowded the further you walk. Near to the hotel there are some smarter padded sunbeds with blue towels & you can pay for some of them (30 EUR a pair!) but I think that those in front of the Hotel's Beach Bar are for hotel residents only. You can also drink at that bar. It's very smart but not surprisingly, it will cost you!

So it's been a lovely day but we appear to be going home to rain tomorrow.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-2011, 16:02

Zelda we asked the beach man how much the beds were by the hotel and he told us 60 € for the padded ones and 75€ for the' double bed ' ones with wicker surround....20% off for residents Now that is just ridiculous!!!
I have never before heard of people having to pay for beds whllst staying at a hotel. We stayed for a night at The Lindler in Portal Portals recently and had our own designated all singing all dancing loungers, and never paid a bean for them!

Another ridiculous thing is the coffee at the Hotel beach bar costs 5€ (ours were takeaways in a polystyrene cup) bought by a friend who purchased 4 and nearly had a heart attack when the waiter said 20€! Exactly the same coffee at the beach bar a few feet away (which is owned by the same Barcelo group) is 2.70€. Even that is above what you would pay but worth it when you need a coffee fix at the end of a hard days sunbathing

Absolutely love Formentor but we always take our own food and drinks.
Old 05-07-2011, 22:08

Totally agree....nothing like a good picnic on Formentor Beach....we have perfected the 'art of picnicking'. I am sure that many onlookers look on very enviously at the delicious spread that we enjoy.
I love to walk along to the far jetty and just sit on the steps soaking it all up.
That, along with the far end of PP by the Illa D'or are just idyllic and my most favourite places.
Old 05-07-2011, 22:11

Need to buy a freezer box I think, as cant afford to eat, drink, and sunbathe in the manner to which I would love to be accustomed to!
Where can I get one?
Old 06-07-2011, 10:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belladonna View Post
Need to buy a freezer box I think, as cant afford to eat, drink, and sunbathe in the manner to which I would love to be accustomed to!
Where can I get one?
We have always taken our own picnic there as yes the prices are not just expensive but robbery! The only thing I have not managed to do is find a way to `fold down the car´and put it into a rucksuck so I can escape the car parking fees which is also abusive!! Not able to resist the ice cream kiosk either even though we know we are paying well over the odds for the Magnums but they just taste so good after a few hours on the beach and before getting into a hot car.
Great research Zelda - another working holiday for you!
Old 06-07-2011, 11:18

We took a picnic as well, sat up under the trees in the shade and enjoyed the stunning view, if you haven't been yet this is what you are missing.

DSCN1845 by sws97sdg, on Flickr

On island time!!
Old 06-07-2011, 21:48

Can I add the public bus is a great way to go over to formentor. Best to sit on left side for the view. Leaves 10:00 with another at 11:30 a great 1 euro 10 cents worth. Last week we there well before the first boat. Not sure on the return journey as we bought a one way ticket for 6 euros on boat. Just pay at the jetty when boarding boat. Best way to return to PP, one very half hour up to 4:30pm.
Old 18-01-2012, 10:53

Which is the best part of formentor?? I took my parents last summer (we hadn't been before) whilst we loved the boat trip there, we were not impressed with Formentor beach, but we did kinda plonk ourselves in the busiest bit!!! Would like to give it another try this year ..... where should we head for please (left or right off the boat!!) :-D
Old 18-01-2012, 11:53

Formentor beach, in my opinion, is not the reason so many people rave about Formentor, it is more the natural beauty of the surroundings, the pine trees shading the beach and of course the perfectly clear turquoise water, fantastic for swimming, also the rock pools for the little ones to go exploring. Of course where you get trees you will get leaves, needles etc. on the sand.

With your back to the sea, we always take the path to the right and walk a good way down where the people thin out but so does the beach! Really depends what time of year you go, unfortunately, now it has become so well known, it gets really busy in the peak season, especially at weekends when there are a lot of local people enjoying their days off. Early and late in the season though you can usually find a good spot.

We have nicknamed it 'Paradise', which to us it is.
debz1, Sparky, lollipop and 1 others like this.
Old 18-01-2012, 13:23

Spot on whaley!

The beach is always packed in high season but absolutely worth the 'squeeze' for the beauty of the surroundings and the crystal clear water. We went last Saturday with our daughter plus picnic and a bottle of wine We were the only ones there along with 17 seagulls who were getting a bit too close for comfort!! We spent a lovely couple of hours soaking up the warm sunshine. Just what's needed in January...Bliss!

We call it Formentor heaven
Old 02-05-2012, 09:58

We try to get to Formentor as early as possible before the crowds and find a quiet spot at the far end near the small hotel jetty. The clear turquoise water, the sun glinting through the gently swaying palms, a warm ensaimada with a breakfast bucks fizz; paradise, heaven on earth, perfection all are appropriate. Without doubt as good as anywhere we have visited in the caribbean. By noon it starts to get very crowded and by mid afternoon it's time to return to PP, but those 2 or 3 hours of sheer bliss and beauty are priceless.

PS Agree with all the comments to take your own food and drinks........but please clear up afterwards/take rubbish home.

PPS The breakfast bucks fizz sounds a bit pretentious I know, but it just feels so right!
pollensa, sws97sdg and Sparky like this.
Old 02-05-2012, 13:54
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by URI View Post
We try to get to Formentor as early as possible before the crowds and find a quiet spot at the far end near the small hotel jetty. The clear turquoise water, the sun glinting through the gently swaying palms, a warm ensaimada with a breakfast bucks fizz; paradise, heaven on earth, perfection all are appropriate. Without doubt as good as anywhere we have visited in the caribbean. By noon it starts to get very crowded and by mid afternoon it's time to return to PP, but those 2 or 3 hours of sheer bliss and beauty are priceless.

PS Agree with all the comments to take your own food and drinks........but please clear up afterwards/take rubbish home.

PPS The breakfast bucks fizz sounds a bit pretentious I know, but it just feels so right!
Breakfast at Formentor sounds lovely but I don't think I could manage that early . Normally if you can get there before the first boat arrives you can find some space (and a lounger & umbrella if you want one). Last time I went we bought some lovely sandwiches at LaCantina2 (was Al Fresco) on the way to catch the bus.
Old 09-05-2012, 12:50

If I take the bus/taxi to Formentor (so I get there before the first boat) but then want to take the boat home do I need to buy a ticket before I go? or pay when on the boat ... want to make sure I am not stranded with my parents and children!!?
Old 09-05-2012, 15:06

As far as I know you can buy a ticket at the prom for the return,but it is a while since I have done it.
Old 09-05-2012, 15:20

Have to admit Formentor beach is somewhat special and like many we always try to get over to it.....

Mike and Sue