Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Beaches

Beaches Do you have a favourite beach? Know of any activities on specific beaches?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14-10-2009, 17:37

Default Puerto Pollensa beach

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob and donna View Post
Dont mean to sound cheeky,but how old are you to remember Cala Millor like that?We have been going to PP for 25 years now and always popped along to Cala Millor at what I presume is the old town end.The front has always looked to me like it nearly could have become Mallorcas Benidorm!In truth the only real reason I go there is to get my yearly treat! at the KFC.{Yes I have my faults too!)I would never want to see one in PP,it was bad enough seeing Burger King appear.
PP was bound to change the first summer when the new beach appeared.For the first few years it was great ,ideal beach in an ideal resort what a magnet!You cant blame people for wanting to have a holiday in such a place but it comes at a cost(not just monetary).Like my other half I will always love this place ,warts an all.
Hi Rob & Donna, I know this is going off post a bit but when did the 'new beach' arrive? And which part is new? We've been coming since about 1989 on and off and thought it always looked like it does.
Sponsored Links
Old 14-10-2009, 18:27

Ryansclan - I think, from memory, the 'new' beach arrived around the early eighties. Before then there was virtually no beach to speak of after the Stay heading out to Alcudia.

The first year the sand was put in place it all washed away over the winter

GG
Old 14-10-2009, 22:06

Pretty certain there was no beach there to speak of when I first came for a day trip in 1980 or 1981 whilst staying in the horror that is Arenal
Old 14-10-2009, 22:32

Smile

We first stayed at PP in1985 and there were only a few Sun beds with brollies opposite Stay, that was the beach. You needed to get there before 9am to ensure one of only 3 or 4 brollies. The other small sandy beach (with free sun beds was at Tamarells). The same in 1986 and 87.

Think it must have been 1988 at the earliest. In the early days it was rocks and stone jetties.
Old 15-10-2009, 00:03

We went in spring of1988 and I think there was a beach but only as far as the bridge at Tolo's / sail and surf

What I know for definite is the beach stretched at least as far as the Childrens Playground near the Police Station by 1994

Also ......... the road still went along the front as far as the Voramar in 1988 but was paved by 1994 .......... anyone any idea when that happened

Actually ........... what would be really interesting is a timeline of all significant PP changes
Old 15-10-2009, 09:44
Founder

We first went in May 1988 - I was 6 months pregnant. We stayed in the Flora so I don't really remember the beach end but there was definitely traffic along the central area. The only pedestrianised bit was the actual Pine Walk.

So any dates anyone for pedestrianisation & the Big Beach?
Old 15-10-2009, 10:15
Super Moderator

Our first visit was in 1983 and there was only a bit of beach around Tamarells beach bar, which at that time was not much more than a shack. I think they started to build the beach in 1984/85 and it was done in stages over the following years.
Old 15-10-2009, 11:22

Just looked at some old slides date was 1984 for Big Beach and prom.

Yes Pollensa car used to go right along as far as Sis Pins then turn left.

Ice Cream man used to sell from a stop me and buy one bike.

We always used the beach in front of the coach house. Bigest bit of beach was just at the start of the pine walk. The Kiosk was near the marina and used to sell 1ft sausages my friend asked me one day what a 1f it sausage was, been a standing joke ever since.

You may like these old post cards (Hope it works)

Picasa Web Albums - John - 2009-10-15
Old 15-10-2009, 11:57

Great postcards! Thanks Snowy!
Old 15-10-2009, 13:32

Great Postcards Snowy - you start to forget what they were like.... age creeps on!!
Postcard 1 - Daina Hotel on right with its pool jutting out to sea. Tink its the La Llonja building half-way down the jetty.
Postcard 2 - Things haven't changed much - thankfully!
Postcard 3 - Great view of the old road (now pedestrianised) and, I think, Mr Vall's ice cream stall on the corner (Mr Vall was the wonderful gentleman with the motorised ice cream tricycle, children flocked for their ice creams as soon as they heard him coming up the Pine Walk. I believe he is still alive and that his family continue to run the present ice cream stall at the harbour end of the Pine Walk). I would say that the hotel I'lla D'or is the white building across the bay.
Old 15-10-2009, 20:01

Snowy, that's fantastic - thanks for those pictures. I wish we had come to PP in those days - didn't discover the place until a tour of the island in 1991, where we fell in love with the place and have been back every year since.

When I see these old pictures I wish we had been "pioneer" tourists - but suspect that we might be a bit disappointed with the changes.

Duncan
Old 15-10-2009, 22:49

Started thinking about the idea of a timeline

Here is what I have found out so far

1912 – Hotel Miramar opened

1929 - Hotel Illa D'or opened
1937 – Military base opened

1954 - Hotel Uyal opened

1956 - Prince Rainier and Grace Kelly spent time in Puerto Pollensa whilst spending part of their honeymoon at the Hotel Formentor

1956 - Hotel Pollentia opened

1958 - The Eolo opened

1960 - Hostel Bahia converted from summer house to tourist hotel

1960 - Hotel Sis Pins Opened

1963 - The Daina opened

1972 - Restaurant Stay opened
Old 15-10-2009, 22:56

Those are superb postcards. The Port was like that when I first visited in 1971.
I don't think there was much more there than on the first postcard. I've got a very similar photo of the beach. Does anyone remember the old pedalos?
Wonderful memories!!!!!!

PeRu
Old 16-10-2009, 05:31

Do you remember the blue slide that went into the water on the beach?

Also the goats with the bells round their necks coming right down to behind the Vora Mar (pre Flora appt days)
Old 16-10-2009, 09:05
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calle De Pescador View Post
Also the goats with the bells round their necks coming right down to behind the Vora Mar (pre Flora appt days)
The goats do still appear occasionally. They come from the Boquer valley, 'cross the bypass' & appear in a green area opposite our apartment - especially at lunch times! They even climb the trees but it's very occasionally now...