Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Beaches

Beaches Do you have a favourite beach? Know of any activities on specific beaches?

Like Tree214Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2024, 16:57

The thing is...you can't imagine all those people who would normally be collecting money for the beds and parasols, bar staff in the three bars and cleaning teams, will all be waiting around for the whole thing to start. They will have gone off and got other jobs by now.
debz1, Tangoman, Miller and 1 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-2024, 18:16

Thatís a really good point, Rockape. Overall, itís pretty shabby treatment for people visiting and expecting the usual facilities. Doesnít bother me at all as weíre three minutes from the beach and have our own stuff, but for families looking forward to their beach holiday, itís a massive disappointment. I feel for them.
Old 11-06-2024, 23:42

Rockape, I think there was some talk earlier on when the tenderers refused to provide a tender, of those staff that you mentioned being "furloughed", as per the covid pandemic. However, yes, you are both right, they cannot wait about forever, because they also have bills to pay and families to feed.

Given that it is now 11th June, it is quite easy to imagine that nothing will happen this season, and goodness only knows what effect that would have on next year. Let's hope that they can somehow sort out this mess.
Sharonh, debz1, Rosie34 and 4 others like this.
Old 12-06-2024, 11:11

Which party is in control of the council that has caused this debacle? I have not seen any comments from the opposition!
The whole situation seems familiar.
Old 17-06-2024, 11:12

Movement on the beach tender. Lets hope they'll get something done by July.

https://www.majorcadailybulletin.com...es-tender.html
Bids need to be made by June 22

Quote:

On Friday, a revised tender was published.

The new tender offers three separate lots - Albercuix and Tamarells in Puerto Pollensa plus Cala San Vicente. Interested parties have until June 22 to submit their bids.
see full article on the MDB website
Tangoman and Teflon like this.
Old 17-06-2024, 13:58

The new tender is here -
https://contrataciondelestado.es/wps...qiPMb3l0JGA!!/

The lots are bundled differently and probably can't be compared directly.
The overall value has changed from 5,724,583.96 Euros to 2,380,996.96 Euros.

The Tamarells beach lot for example has changed from 704K to 351K.
Tangoman and Teflon like this.
Old 17-06-2024, 19:36

Wow!! Certainly have made very major cuts to the price.

I am assuming that those are the prices suggested by Pollensa Council, to give the tenderers an idea of what sort of pricing is required.

However, whilst they are major cost cuts, much of the season has been missed by now, so they may still not attract any suppliers. And I assume that the suppliers of the brollies, for example, do not own any JCB's, etc. required for the job, and instead hire them from builders equipment hire companies. And no guarantee that they will have any availability.

But, fingers crossed everyone. I notice people already saying that they may go elsewhere next season, and that is not good for the local hospitality community.
Old 18-06-2024, 10:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangoman View Post

But, fingers crossed everyone. I notice people already saying that they may go elsewhere next season, and that is not good for the local hospitality community.
I can understand their frustration, but for us, this is not enough to look elsewhere. Fortunately the apartment we rented has a big balcony so we use that until just after 3 when the sun goes above and behind our building and then cross the road to the beach with towels and an umbrella.

The beach still looks messy as it is not tidied or raked so you find it the way it was left the evening before. My other concern is the beach front eateries are much quieter than usual.
mike_dublin, Tangoman and Miller like this.
Old 18-06-2024, 11:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangoman View Post
However, whilst they are major cost cuts, much of the season has been missed by now, so they may still not attract any suppliers. And I assume that the suppliers of the brollies, for example, do not own any JCB's, etc. required for the job, and instead hire them from builders equipment hire companies. And no guarantee that they will have any availability.

I think the AVPP mentioned in post 18, who have been running the Tamarells stretch of the beach for years, have the tractor and whatever they need to set everything up at short notice. With the reduced price, they will hopefully put a bid in and are successful, so things start moving.
Tangoman likes this.
Old 18-06-2024, 11:33

The beach services episode sure hasn't been a great advertisement, whether it's been borne out of greed, bureaucratic tardiness, political in-fights, anti-tourism sentiment, or a mixture of some or all of those things.
It will put some people off, which is a pity, but I can't see a long-term impact on visitor numbers.
But the short-term impact on tourists, local workers and local businesses will be felt and could have easily been avoided.
Sharonh, Rosie34, Luckyone and 5 others like this.
Old 28-06-2024, 13:31

Is there any word on the beach services apparently the tender process closed on 22/6/24
Monday being 1st July I really thought there would have been progress by now such a sad state of affairs
mike_dublin, Miller and Teflon like this.
Old 28-06-2024, 14:07

The council seem to have had a meeting yesterday morning. The minutes have been added to the tender.

From what I gather, though the translation of the legalese isn't all that clear, the AVPP was the only bidder for the Albercuix, Tamarells and Cala St. VicenÁ beaches as well as the pedalos and their bid was accepted.

For some other parts of the second tender, which relate to restaurant and catering services were not bid on.

It doesn't say what the next steps are, for example, whether there is some sort of timeline once the tender has been accepted and for the beach services to start. Perhaps the AVPP will post something about that or the tractor will spring into action some morning soon and the umbrellas and chairs will start to arrive.

https://contrataciondelestado.es/wps...ycx0B_0eB8Q!!/
Sharonh, Sparky, Tangoman and 2 others like this.
Old 28-06-2024, 14:18

Thank you for that reply. At least the tender has now been awarded. Letís hope some action soon 😊
Old 28-06-2024, 15:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by elainewalls View Post
Thank you for that reply. At least the tender has now been awarded. Letís hope some action soon 😊
At least that was my understanding from the translated text.

There could well be a few more hoops to jump through, before this gets going. Fingers crossed in any case.
And, with the tender being for 4 years, there will hopefully no repeat for a while.
Sparky, Tangoman, Miller and 1 others like this.
Old 08-07-2024, 08:57
Super Moderator

At last!!!, work has started on the beach .
Sharonh and Teflon like this.