Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Beaches

Beaches Do you have a favourite beach? Know of any activities on specific beaches?

Like Tree117Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20-01-2021, 13:27
Super Moderator

Default On the beach 2021.

A translation of this report :- https://www.ultimahora.es/noticias/p...-pollenca.html.

Quote:
The children's playgrounds on the beaches of Tamarells, Albercuitx and Llenaire and the picnic areas in the latter area have their days numbered. The Balearic Islands Coasts Demarcation has denied the Pollença Town Hall the request to maintain these beach services and expand the number of tables in the recreational area.

Costas issued the resolution after receiving a contrary report from the Ministry of the Environment that recalls that “facilities such as children's games do not comply with article 8.1. of the OCAMAT and article 61 of the Coastal Regulation, which only allows to occupy the Terrestrial Maritime Public Domain with facilities, which by their nature cannot have another location ". "We understand that the children's play facilities could be located in other areas of the municipality", concludes the General Directorate of Territories and Landscapes of the Ministry of the Environment and Territories.

The reactions in Pollença have not been long in coming. The government team and Junts have sent letters to Costas defending the character of "urban artificial beach" and asking that it reconsider its resolution. They also request that the sanctioning proceedings opened against a score of businessmen who exploited seasonal services last summer, with a favorable report from the Town Hall, but without waiting for the final resolution of Costas to be annulled or redirected
Old 20-01-2021, 21:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky View Post

I’m presuming this is because the Costas are all about the natural habitat and want to keep the beaches free of things such as playgrounds?
Old 20-01-2021, 22:35
Super Moderator

Looks like it .
Old 21-01-2021, 11:57

I always thought that the Spanish loved and doted on children. Obviously the people's representatives do not comply. I for one would much rather sit at Tammerals or La Roca watching families enjoying themselves than dodging dog walkers and their deposits.
Are the Costas an elected body or QUANGO?.
Tommo and KWUK2 like this.
Old 21-01-2021, 12:32

They don't want children to go to PP as they are not big spenders and they also laugh and squeal and make too much noise which upsets people sun bathing. I for one will have think twice about returning, we loved to watch the children play across from Brissa Marina. Oh by the way I am over 70 so probably not wanted either.
Tommo likes this.
Old 21-01-2021, 16:06

Whilst I have no issue with the playgrounds and bars such as La Roca (my local), Llaut and struggling to remember the third....they, along with the necessary wc's are slowly encroaching on what used to be an empty natural space. What next?
Old 21-01-2021, 17:40
Super Moderator

I fully understand the Costas need to protect the natural beaches and coastline but most of the beach in PP is man made .
PP76, debz1, Tangoman and 3 others like this.
Old 22-01-2021, 09:38

I'll probably not be popular for saying this but I always thought the children's play area on the beach between the Daina and the Miramar took up far too much space. When my kids were young, we took them to the beach in the morning and they were able to play cricket, boules and kick a football around at the top end of the beach as well as build sandcastles, swim and fish. After lunch if they were bored of the beach we would walk them up to the playground to play for the afternoon in the shade. These days kids seem to have everything on the beach and are still whinging that they're bored! Another pet hate of mine is the big sand castle with the man guarding it and shouting at any kids that threaten to damage it! Again it takes up so much space. It was much better when it was on the other side of the Daina pool that is not used for swimming.

Car
Old 22-01-2021, 12:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
I fully understand the Costas need to protect the natural beaches and coastline but most of the beach in PP is man made .
The moaners should remember that not only the beaches but more importantly the children are man made. OOPS, obviously with the help, permission of women.
Sparky and pollensafan like this.
Old 22-01-2021, 15:26

I can see both sides to this. When my children were little they never needed playgrounds on the beach, as there was always plenty to of things to do to keep them happy. However I have also watched my grandchildren playing for ages on the equipment, while the adults enjoy a bit of peace and quiet over a drink.

I think the saddest thing is for the locals with young children who, especially during the winter months, might find these play areas a life saver on their daily walks after being cooped up inside most of the day.

There is so little joy at the moment it just seems really petty that the Costas are even thinking about doing this now. As someone else commented wouldn’t it be better to sort out the sewage problems!
Old 22-01-2021, 15:56
Super Moderator

What confuses me the most is that the Costas have not objected until now, the playgrounds have been there for about 4 years .
debz1, animagic21, Rosie34 and 4 others like this.
Old 22-01-2021, 16:38

Maybe its because other areas are using PP as the reason why they should be allowed to do the same thing. Perhaps other resorts don't have such large deep beaches to accommodate play areas, so they don't want them there, but may have a legal issue if they don't adopt the same approach island wide?

I didn't say I was against them Sparky and I'm aware the beach is man made, but you must agree that the view is slowly becoming crowded with detritus like bars, wc's, play areas and now even cafe tables and chairs?
clinkham likes this.
Old 22-01-2021, 16:40

Is PP just the innocent bystander hit by the scatter gun approach. Box-tickers in bureaucracies and quangos cause undeserved trouble for responsible people and businesses throughout Europe. I say this because I always remark to people what a lovely, calm and pleasant resort it is. Since we discovered it 6 years ago it has been our summer bolt hole.
Unlike some holiday spots, it's not plagued by drunken young men falling into the street and drunken young women falling out of their dresses.
Old 30-01-2021, 14:56

<< The children's playgrounds on the beaches of Tamarells, Albercuitx and Llenaire and the picnic areas in the latter area have their days numbered >>

It would be a terrible shame if the Costas caused the few children's playgrounds on the beach to be removed. There are only five of them, well separated, in a range of over 1.1 miles. Plenty of spare space between them.

Those 'playgrounds' (climbing frames really) are unusually & interestingly designed (a bit natural looking) and add to the appeal of the resort IMO. They are of benefit to both visiting children and local children.

Come on Costas - please let them remain as they are at present. You have taken away the ice cream cabin (that children loved); please don't do the same with a few climbing frames on the beach.

It has really upset me to think that those children's facilities might not be there next time we are able to visit; I dare not tell my grand-children.

(What's on the beach ? Maybe the volleyball games thingies should go first, or instead maybe remove all the sailboarding features and facilities. Provocative statements yes - but it should be said if Costas insist on removal of children's climbing frames. I am annoyed).
Old 30-01-2021, 20:05

https://www.majorcadailybulletin.com...aygrounds.html

Quote:
The authority is waiting for submissions

Place children’s play areas up against faceless and apparently heartless bureaucracy and there was only ever going to be one winner where the public was concerned.

The combined authoritative might of the regional environment ministry and the Costas threatens the existence of the playgrounds and picnic area on stretches of Puerto Pollensa. The town hall, which has been chastised by the opposition for a failure to negotiate this matter adequately with the Costas, has fired off a series of submissions opposing the withdrawal of these facilities. ...

... Anyway, it would appear that the situation hadn’t been as cut and dried as was being made out; not where the Costas are concerned, at any rate.

On Tuesday, sources let it be known that it hadn’t actually come to any decision about the playgrounds and picnic area and that it still hasn’t come to a decision. The authority is waiting for submissions, which it has received from the town hall administration and from the main opposition group at the town hall, Junts Avançam. It is also waiting on a report from the regional environment ministry before taking a decision that might authorise the town hall to maintain the facilities.
One suspects that the Costas may have also been made aware of public opinion.
See full article on the MDB website
Miller likes this.