Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Beaches

Beaches Do you have a favourite beach? Know of any activities on specific beaches?

Like Tree5Likes

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13-05-2015, 23:23

Default Are there many jellyfish this year?.

hope there will not be as many jellyfish this year
don't fancy getting stung again
Sponsored Links
Old 13-07-2015, 19:33

What's the current situ with jellyfish around the area where hotel romantic is please? Many thanks
Old 14-07-2015, 16:40

Not sure about that part of the beach but there were a few small ones sunday at La gola..nothing since

Eating Out
Old 14-07-2015, 18:30

Been very much the same in the UK. Fortunately not the stinging variety.
Old 14-07-2015, 19:28

These were the stinging variety and looked like seaweed 😪

Eating Out
Old 14-07-2015, 20:39

I've been told by friends who have just returned from the port and a friend who lives there, that there are an abundance of the blighters, stinging a lot of people. I arrive on Saturday with my 2 young children so I'm extremely concerned that they will get stung (especially as we don't have a pool). For the people who have been stung in the past (or their children), what's the best remedy, as nhs site says to not apply vinegar? How long does the pain last? I've been told there's a suncream from the pharmacia that protects against being stung. Anyone used this? Thanks!
Old 14-07-2015, 20:54

My daughter was stung last year and although she squealed like a baby ( she's 33 ) it was more the shock than anything else. In fact she said it felt like a small electric shock. It didn't bother her much afterwards so there are no long lasting side effects. I would think mozzies bites are more of a nuisance as the itch goes on for days. Having said that the jelly fish flag was flying a few times on our visit a couple of weeks ago and I didn't venture into the sea on those days. I would liken the problem to be similar to the of nuisance wasps in the UK. Just ignore them and don't let the blighters ruin your holiday
Old 15-07-2015, 13:51

If you get stung, make straight for the lifeguard station. They have lotion or cream that eases the problem.
Old 18-07-2015, 09:09

What does the jellyfish flag look like?
Tangoman likes this.
Old 18-07-2015, 09:40
Super Moderator

I don't have a picture but there is a description of the flags in this report i posted in April :-

Quote:
This report from the Majorca Daily Bulletin

Quote:
NEW JELLY FISH ALERT PROTOCOL

By Humphrey Carter

The Balearic government yesterday announced a new set of plans to increase beach security and safety this summer and plans to combat jelly fish.The government yesterday approved a new set of rules and regulations to improve and tighten beach safety this summer.
Government spokesperson, Nuria Riera, said that since the PP returned to power, the government has been continually improving the beach safety protocol and this year, every municipality will have an expert on hand to advise the local authorities on what is going wrong and what can be improved while also overseeing emergency response operations to any major incidents.
Life guards are also going to be provided with new and extra equipment and this year, a special white flag with lilac jelly fish prints is going to introduced to alert bathers to the presence of jelly fish of which blooms have already been gathering off the east coast of Spain and are slowly moving this way as the sea water temperatures begin to gradually rise.
A distinction is also going to be made this year between beaches of low to medium risk and medium to high risk and, depending in to which category the beach falls, the appropriate manpower and rescue equipment will be deployed to those areas.
New information boards will also be erected providing much more information about the possible dangers to bathers and what action to take in case of an accident.
Old 18-07-2015, 10:58

Flags on Beaches (Spain)
Sparky likes this.
Old 04-08-2015, 08:58

Default Jellyfish app

This report is from the New mobile app for reporting jellyfish » Balearics » News » Majorca Daily Bulletin

Quote:
New mobile app for reporting jellyfish

App has been available for free download since the end of June

It is the worry of so many swimmers in summer: encountering jellyfish.
Because of this, a group of Majorcan friends have created “Grumering”, an app that gives information about the presence and absence of jellyfish.

It has been available for free download since the end of June and now has more than 5,000 reports and 2,500 downloads: approximately 100 new users per day.
Computing technician Miguel Cabrer, one of those behind the project, says that it was one born out of necessity.

“Though there are surveys of jellyfish, they are not in an instantaneous form.”
“Grumering” is very easy to use.

“Anyone going to a beach and observing whether there are or are not jellyfish present, makes a notification via the app and the information appears on a map.

“In this way, it is possible to plan days at the beach by knowing where the sea is clear of jellyfish.”
What though if someone plays a prank?

Miguel Cabrer acknowledges that there will always be pranksters, reporting, for example, on jellyfish in the Sahara, but the fact that anyone can make notifications reduces this problem. It is the “social component” that makes “Grumering” more interesting.

Although more people are involved in the project, it was a group of three who launched it and now see the “snowball effect” that it has produced.

They are wondering what to do with it, as the application has been deployed elsewhere - Valencia, Catalonia,southern France and further afield.
As it was a project conceived in a spontaneous way, there is no business plan as such.

However, Cabrer says that, once they see how it goes during August, they will consider possibilities. One option is for it to be an application for hotels, lifeguards and beach-bar owners.

Last edited by Sparky; 04-08-2015 at 10:22. Reason: Quotes inserted.
Old 04-08-2015, 13:41

My daughter got stung on the last day and she was right on the edge of the water. Caught her on the ankle, plus a few others I heard. I only ever saw a green flag up. They just look like seaweed!
Old 04-08-2015, 13:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherberts View Post
My daughter got stung on the last day and she was right on the edge of the water. ...
Hope your daughter is better again.

Which part of the beach where you at?
Did you go to the red cross hut?
Sherberts likes this.
Old 04-08-2015, 14:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherberts View Post
My daughter got stung on the last day and she was right on the edge of the water. Caught her on the ankle, plus a few others I heard. I only ever saw a green flag up. They just look like seaweed!
Thats what we saw at La gola beach but it was only on the one day..a friends daughter had a nasty sting at Tamarells beach

We were told by friends ( locals) that it was very unusual to have jellyfish at La Gola and that they are usually found at Tamarells or near the Pinewalk

Eating Out
Closed Thread