Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Beaches

Beaches Do you have a favourite beach? Know of any activities on specific beaches?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2004, 23:54
dolgoed

Default Pollensa beaches not fit for bathing

An extract from todays on line Daily News can anyone explain or tell us whats going on !!!!!!

BAD NEWS FOR THREE POLLENSA BEACHES
Staff Reporter
THE tourist season gets off to a gloomy start with a report from the European Commission that five beaches in the Balearics are unfit for bathing. Four of the beaches are in Majorca (three in Pollensa and one in Cala d'Or) and the fifth in Minorca (Cala Padera in Es Castell).
Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-2004, 00:24

Default Re The beaches

Yes, we read this this morning too and have actually been on the beach this afternoon. We are up the Llenaire end, the opposite end to the Pine Walk and they are a bit scruffy. One problem is that the contracts for the shades and loungers have still not been awarded to anyone, and they normally do the cleaning as well. However some cleaning of the beaches is being done, but the standard is down. Also there is a lot of weed washing around, but I'm not sure what can be done about that anyway. I have no idea if this report relates to sewage.
However, the beaches are busy and it's a hundred and boil to death in the sun
Old 03-06-2004, 17:58
Founder

Default Re: Pollensa beaches

Response from the Balearics: (extract from MDB)

BALEARIC environment minister Jaume Font dismissed the European Commission's report which said that five beaches in the Balearics were not fit for bathing, pointing out that it was based on analyses made last year. He added that his department was already working on improving the state of the water at these beaches. ... Font said that analyses in the month of October at Pollensa showed that the water there was now fit for bathing.

And yesterday it was announced that the Pollensa beaches of Cala Molins, Cala Barques and Cala Formentor had been awarded Blue Flags.
Old 08-06-2004, 19:40
beachbaby

Default Beaches

My user name sums up why I go to PP.
If there is daylight I am on the beach!!
I have always used the LLenaire end opposite the Hobby Club Appts as the Pinewalk section looks as if it could get a bit too crowded. (any comments?)
Seaweed has been a problem for a number of years and used to appear in the afternoons - usually with increasing swell. In August it can be a bit offputting as the sea temp is also really warm and unrefreshing.
The beach can get scruffy as it tends to be used as an enormous ashtray and picking the tab ends out of your toes is a real bind! The tractor-pulled raking machine levels the sand but not much else - gets used once a week I think?
Are the ticket sellers not set up yet? Surely they have sorted contracts by now! Are there no beds either?
Coming over end of June - hope they have got their act together by then - would anyone like to tell me if the Med passes the "big toe test" yet - if its over 20deg C that will do!

Roll on the 26th!
Old 08-06-2004, 22:48
Cirenjohn

Default BEACHES

The whole issue of the uncertainty of beach services is already worrying us too, although we do not travel until 6th July.

One of the immediate attractions of PP when we first visited the resort in 1995 (whilst staying at Cala D'Or) was the wide availability of sun beds and cleanliness of the beach.

This contrasted with Cala D'Or at the time where there was a shortage of sun beds and one had to compete with the German early birds who then just left their towels on the sunloungers all day often without occupying them at all.

Since then PP has been our resort of choice when in Majorca and each year we have been very happy with the location, environment and services. My wife could be described as a sun worshipper and I so we have no qualms about paying the charges for sun beds but will be very disappointed indeed if they are not available or if the beaches are not being cleaned.

It is an important issue with us and, as PP is the only resort on the island that appeals to us now, it will be a deciding influence on whether we holiday on Majorca again in the future.
Old 11-06-2004, 02:01
star81

Default Beaches

After returning from PP a couple of weeks ago i can honnestly say do not worry about the sun beds they are on the beaches ! The money collectors had also started operating from about the 28th onwards. I spent a couple of days at the beach and would not have said they were bad at all.

The sunbeds were not all out but then again the weather was not all that great for May. All the sunbeds tied to the shades are out but at that time there were no singles about but as we were leaving during the first week of June they were appearing !
Old 14-06-2004, 06:16
Sun Properties

Default Beaches

Came back today 8) ..... beach looking cleaner every day. All the usual sunbeds / umbrellas out and sand being swept in the morning .... even saw one of the little sea-weed collector boats doing a trawl.:rollin

KAB
Old 16-06-2004, 00:30
y parc

Default Re: Beaches

We have just come back from our beautiful pollensa, and am counting the months until i can go back, but i must not get carried away from the subject of beaches. We arrived on the 29th of May and we did not see anybody collecting money until the June1st. My only complaint about paying 10 Euros for the sunbeds is if you have been somewhere during the morning and decide to go on the beach in the afternoon you are still charged 10 Euros even if it is 3.30 in the afternoon. They would make a lot more money if they charged 5 Euros for a half day.
There is just one more thing bugging me about the beach, they still let dogs on the sand in the morning and the evening.
We were staying in a private flat overlooking the beach, and i actually saw dogs urinating on the sunbeds, it just isnt' on with children especially using the beds
Old 21-06-2004, 21:04
JMD40

I have a copy of an almost 100 page dossier prepared by the local government which provides lots of details of the quality of the water within the Bahia de Pollensa during the last 3 summers (2002, 3 and 4). The last results were taken during the week 26th May to 31st May and 8 samples were taken. 7 were classified as excellent and the 8th one was acceptable for swimming so hopefully that assures everyone. Last year there was one period when the water at the Torrent San Jordi outside of Port along the road towards Alcudia and in the middle of the marina that the water was considered not suitable for swimming. The problem that the Bay has is that the water is not very deep and has very little movement therefore offering little renovation of the water.
Hope that this puts everyones mind at rest and as I am sure you will see for yourselves the water is crystal clear and Cala San Vicens and Formentor have blue flags. Happy swimming
Old 12-08-2004, 05:51
dolgoed

Just arrived back from cala san vicente water there was crystal clear the water at Porto pollensa seemed to be warmer but not as clear. Wish i was still there there though.
Old 28-06-2005, 17:38
PennyWhite

Just read this one and realised it was over a year old, what is current situation?
Old 28-06-2005, 19:17
Founder

Penny,

as far as we are aware everything is fine now. Beaches in Cala San Vicente & Formentor have blue flags & PP are trying hard to get one.

Unfortunately due to the hacking of ezboard some of the lost posts have been restored but are not yet in chronological order. So I'm afraid you need to check the dates of what you read.

Webmaster