Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Beaches

Beaches Do you have a favourite beach? Know of any activities on specific beaches?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28-06-2005, 23:42
mdunton

Default Rock Pools

Hi

My sons (7 and 4) and myself are rock pool fanatics and can spend many a happy hour looking for crabs and small crustaceans, leaving my wife free to enjoy the beach.

The problem that I have with PP and associated environs (at least the ones that I have explored) are that there are no rock pools to keep us occupied.

Does anyone know where the nearest beach that has pools are? I think that there are some near Cala D'Or, but I think that must be at least a 40 minute drive away. Is anyone aware of anything closer to PP?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old 28-06-2005, 23:43

Hi,

You could try Cala San Vicente, the second bay know as Cala Molins, It is many years ago but remember as a child enjoying watching Crabs etc in rock pools there.

Cheers
Pollensa Man
Old 29-06-2005, 00:13

Hi Pollensa Man!

You beat me to it!!

I was going to recommend Cala San Vicente and the Molins beach as well!!

Yes, very good - very scenic, nice sandy beach, a couple of cafes nearby and the most crystal clear water I have ever seen. If you walk around the road to the next beach in CSV the views are beautiful and the sea is the most incredible azure blue.

It's no surprise they have a blue flag.

Regards
Jane
Old 29-06-2005, 06:43

Default Rock Pools

Whilst I will agree with you that there are no rock pools as such in PP , I can't agree with the need to go elsewhere to have fun crabbing etc.

My daughter is 12 and for the last 11 or so years she has wiled away many many hours catching small fish, hermit crabs, limpet crabs, flippin big scary crabs, squid, starfish etc etc all in PP.

If you take them down the pine walk towards the Illa D'Or the sea is really shallow and because it laps the wall and the stone jetties, the whole area may as well be a rock pool. Another good area is the beach right past the Illa D'Or almost at the military base, again a jetty sticks out providing great crabbing/fishing entertainment. ( Another plus here is the man who rents out Kyacks ...... a really great hour or 2 's fun )

Also, buy them a french stick each and send them into the water, tell them to stand very still with the end of the bread in the water and wait...... before they know it there will be a multitude of fish eating out of their hands.

Also, if you go to the Sandy beach at the other end of PP ( where the wreck used to be ) you will see a load of stones sticking up about 50 metrs out to sea, get them to swim out to these rocks, or go out with them if they are not strong swimmers ...... you will be able to walk the whole way it's not that deap ......... these rocks are teaming with all sorts of marine life

Enjoy .......... I have long believed that all kids need in pp is a bucket, spade, fishing net and an inquisitive mind and they are happy as larry ......... and I tell this to many many people who seem to think they need to go to places with loads of manufactured kids entertainment ........ nice if you like that sort of thing but not necessary
Old 29-06-2005, 20:38
mdunton

Thanks for all the input, I have actually been to the beach in Cala San Vincente, and forgottent that once there was pools - I think that you need to get the timing right.

Haven't tried past Illa D'Or - this is great advice!

Thanks Again