Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Beaches

Beaches Do you have a favourite beach? Know of any activities on specific beaches?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2005, 22:11
Founder

Default Formentor Beach

Even though we've been visiting for 17 years we had never actually spent time on this beach. This year we went twice & it's really lovely.

The first trip we first did the drive up to the lighthouse - be warned go early. We were there at about 11am which was just in time. After that the road gets impossible. We then went back to the beach. The car park costs 4 eur which is redeemable against anything bought in the bars or cafes so long as you spend a minimum of 9 eur. Some people park along the road. You can also get a bus www.puertopollensa.com/transport-taxis-bus-trains.html#buses or boat www.puertopollensa.com/excursions-majorca.html

When you first arrive, where the large boats are moored, there is one set of loos & greasy cafe (very expensive & not very nice). If you walk along along there is another cafe set under trees nicer location but with the same food & an antiquated ticketing system. We stayed in that area for a couple of hours & the beach itself is absolutely lovely.

We came back the next day with a picnic & on advice from Joan of Cafe Caramba we walked further along until you see the sun loungers with 'Hotel Formentor' towels. I think these are for Hotel residents only but you can use the bar, restaurant (& nice loos). We settled down a little further along (with our own umbella & beach mats). After a great walk along the beach & just outside the hotel gardens we returned to the bar & spent the rest of the afternnon there. It isn't cheap both a coke & beer were about 3,50 eur each (you do get peanuts) but it really is worth it (& you get your 4 eur off!). The buffet restaurant is above the bar & am afraid we didn't see the menu or prices as we had our own little picnic.

You can also rent pedaloes, wind surf boards etc. There's a little beach shop behind the bar.

All in all a great trip & it's only a few km along the Formentor road.

Oh yes & I did swim in the sea as well!
Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-2005, 22:11
Marsha

My cousin recommended the hotel's terrace bar (which I assume is the one on the beach) for sandwiches. She said it wasn't cheap at around 10 euro a head for sandwiches and drinks, but said it was great for people watching. We were going to give it a try, but had to cut our time short...

I have to agree the beach was fabulous and the sea so clear, when I win the lottery I'll definitely be parking my bottie on one of those pinky beige sun loungers with matching beach towels!!!

We got the ferry which was 8 euro each return and almost like a mini-cruise in itself... a real must!!

The "dock master" at Formentor told up that get exceptionally crowded on Tuesdays and Fridays, which is when a lot of the guided tours take place. We did see them arriving in their droves as we were waiting to return, so my advice would be to go on the 10:00 ferry or on alternative days.
Old 08-09-2005, 22:19
Founder

Re food at the bar, we heard someone ask & was told that they didn't do food when the restaurant is open. We saw the couple go up to the restaurant & then down again so I should think it's very expensive - especially if you only want sandwiches. Does anyone know when the bar does do food?
Old 08-09-2005, 22:56
PennyWhite

The Terrace Bar is at the Hotel, just above the swimming pool. You can get sandwiches drinks and a very wide range of cocktails there... when we had our day trips it was a shady place to chill out and play cards under the palm trees and, yes, people watch! No movie stars that I could note!!
The beach at the Formentor Hotel is a bit small and gets crowded but I have in various spots raved aboutthe buffet restaurant and bar, very civilised.
Old 08-09-2005, 23:05
Marsha

Aaaah... that'll explain why my cousin said you had to go through the hotel!!!

Maybe next time....
Old 09-09-2005, 01:08

Sadly our experience of Formentor beach was a lot different, but again, we probably only have ourselves to blame!

We didn't get there until about 11.30 and I couldn't believe the queues to get into the car-park! When we went in May we were able to park right next to the beach.

We followed a long line of people heading to the beach and passed loads of coaches on the way.

The part of the beach near to the cafe, etc was crowded (Snowy - see the photo I sent you!).

My children had a quick paddle and then we left so really it was a waste of 4 euros.

The road there and back was also busy with three coaches in front of us slowly making their way around the hair-pin bends.

Perhaps next time when it's a bit quieter!

Jane
Old 09-09-2005, 17:42
smiddy

Default Formentor

JH, Talking about quieter times we popped round early April when it was very quiet. The reason we went round was just a run in the car as it was so cold in the port. What amazed me was the difference in temperature once the sun came out. It's so sheltered by the cliffs, must be extremely warm in the summer, though i'll never find out, the thought of all those coaches/boat trips put me off.
Old 09-09-2005, 17:51
Founder

Default Re: Formentor

Don't be put off by the boat/coach trips. We went twice last week. If you leave early enough you miss the road traffic & if you walk along the beach to beyond the Formentor bar (& in front of the hotel gardens) it is not that busy. Try it. We were surprised how lovely it was & not crowded where we were.