Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Beaches

Beaches Do you have a favourite beach? Know of any activities on specific beaches?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2007, 21:06
MrRed99

Default JELLYFISH

Just got back from PP and had a great time, however my daughter and wife were stung by jellyfish.

On snorkling, I saw 3 whilst I was there, so not so many but they are there so watch out.

We were in the sea opposite the Hobby Club..

The stings only lasted about 8 hours so not so bad but still not very nice...
Sponsored Links
Old 14-05-2008, 08:09

Default In today's Daily Bulletin...

BALEARIC JELLYFISH FEARS...
By Humphrey Carter

PALMA
BALEARIC environmental group GOB warned yesterday that the central government’s national plan to combat jellyfish this summer is not going to be effective enough.

As the Bulletin reported last week, large parts of the Mediterranean are still waiting for the necessary resources to mount the campaign but GOB said yesterday that, when the equipment and materials does arrive, the measures will be too little and too late.

The Council of Minorca agrees with GOB. The experts do not believe that the Balearics will be swamped by more jellyfish than last year but the Minorcan councilor for the environment, Raul Escandell, complained yesterday that every summer, central government wastes thousands of euros on ineffective ways of combating jellyfish.

The main problem is that over fishing has killed off most of the jellyfish’s predators and the rise in sea temperatures caused by global warming is helping the jellyfish breed extremely rapidly, the minister explained. GOB’s Miguel Camps said that he understands precise and effective action being taken “to make sure that during the height of the tourist season, people, can go swimming. “But, paying fishermen thousands of euros every summer to go and catch jellyfish is neither a long term nor acceptable solution,” Camps said yesterday.
Old 14-05-2008, 21:28

Default Jellyfish

Hi

Yes, the jellyfish have been blown into the shallows by the recent winds and therefore rougher seas in April. They are normally gone by the summer though!
Old 15-05-2008, 10:22

This is what's happening in Ibiza. See http://www.ibiza-spotlight.com/news/...h_120508_i.htm. Don't know if they are going to do the same in Mallorca.
Old 15-05-2008, 16:24

Would be great if they did the same in Mallorca.

We got stung a couple of years ago and it is painful. Mine wasn't too bad but my daughter was stung quite badly - lash marks visible on her ankles.

If you do get stung - slap vinegar on it as soon as possible. We did this and it did help but when we were out in the evening (at Tolos), my daughters started stinging again. The waiter asked what the problem was as we were asking for vinegar - they only had Balsamic on the table and we didn't think that would work!
We explained and he just shouted, "Ah Medusa" and ran off for a tea towel and a huge bottle of vinegar from the kitchen!
Old 16-05-2008, 11:52

feel sorry for your wee one Cocoa. The last 2 years there were a number of people stung in the shallow water off the (Albercutz) Pine Walk beach - mostly kids. The fuss they made suggested that it was really painful. This was early July - we could see all the JF in the water. My niece was terrified and it spoiled her going into the sea.

We have a villa for the first week but then onto the beach this year again - fingers crossed that there is not a real problem.

Lala
Old 16-05-2008, 19:52

They seem to be worse at the start of the season, come August they seem to have gone away.
(oh that was my 100th post, I must have taken the longest to get to 100 posts having joined in about 2002)

Last edited by sws97sdg; 16-05-2008 at 19:57.