Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Beaches

Beaches Do you have a favourite beach? Know of any activities on specific beaches?

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16-06-2013, 11:54

Default Patricians or Plebians in Formentor ?

I'd be interested to know from any locals if they can explain what has happened at Formentor. This beach has for many years been one of my favourite places in the world! We went over this week to find the beach from the jetty to the bar halfway to the hotel was in a terrible state. The entry into the water is a rocky obstacle course and there is a 3 foot wide stone strip all the way up-to the cafe including the area where the blue council sun beds are sited. From the cafe , which is also the start of the hotel sun beds , the sand is as it has always been and the the entry into the sea is fine. Whilst you can hire the sun beds here the cost of 2 beds and shade is an extortionate 21 euros!! ( I can't bear to tell you the cost of the luxury beds up by the main restaurant !!)

Bernard the beach guy said that it had been caused by a storm and that it would remain like it for the summer. The cynic in me says this seems to be a ploy by the hotel to stop people coming to this beach which I'm sure they would like to be exclusively for the hotel residents? Does anybody know anything ?

We have always recommended Formentor to family and friends( even though we know it can get very packed in high season) but couldn't possibly do so now, they would be so disappointed .
Sponsored Links
Old 16-06-2013, 20:41

Was on the Formentor beach less than a couple of weeks ago; yes it was in a poorer state than I've seen it before with weed, stones, etc. But, like your friend 'Bernard' the beach-boy I would agree that it is a natural state caused by fairly recent bad weather over the past few months. English beaches can be just the same (or far worse) when strong tides accompanied by bad weather can sweep away many, many thousands of tons of sand overnight. It 'always' comes back but can take some time depending on weather, its 'nature' so you just have to live with it and accept it as it is. Although there is no great tidal range in the 'med' like there is in the UK there can be very strong winds and vicious seas and Formentor can be open to these depending on the wind direction. I'm sure Formentor beach will return to its previous wonderful state in time. By the way, to the right of the jetty - when looking out to sea - the cost of 2 beds and a shade was 13.50 Euros when I was there.
lollipop likes this.
Old 16-06-2013, 21:15
Super Moderator

Chels i can honestly say that we had some horrendous winds and storms over the winter and even in Spring this year so Bernard the Beach could well be telling the truth .
Old 17-06-2013, 00:17

Very strange though that there is a clear 'cut off' point from the cheaper beds and pebbly beach, and the stretch from the beach bar and more expensive beds.

13.50€ on the rocky,almost impossible to walk into the sea part, and 21€ on the lovely white sand. Maybe has to be seen to be understood
Old 17-06-2013, 07:28

We were only just planning last week to go over for our usual trip when next over, so worried about these developments so will check it out and report back! Also one of our favourite places!
Btw Debs are you in all in residence the whole summer?

On island time!!
Old 17-06-2013, 08:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by sws97sdg View Post
We were only just planning last week to go over for our usual trip when next over, so worried about these developments so will check it out and report back! Also one of our favourite places!
Btw Debs are you in all in residence the whole summer?

It really wasn't the same so I hope it is just storm damage. I doubt it though as it was so precise and there was a definite feel of 'them and us' about the beach. Will go and take some photos later in the week.

Not quite all Summer! We drove over this time so spending a month in PP before we do the return journey.
whaleywanderer and Lorenzo like this.
Old 17-06-2013, 09:02

That's a shame! To be honest we have always thought it was a bit 'us and them' part of its attraction is thinking you are gate crashing on a private beach where only the rich and yacht set normally get to go, mind you we think that about most places we go, but perhaps that's just me, a bit like Stay really!

On island time!!
Old 17-06-2013, 12:06

Personally I would never pay for a sunbed as I find them quite uncomfortable - just bring a beach mat and park my bum directly onto the sand - guess that makes me a pleb!
sws97sdg and marilyn like this.
Old 17-06-2013, 22:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by debz1 View Post
Not quite all Summer! We drove over this time so spending a month in PP before we do the return journey.
Grr!!! (smilie for 'Jealously') I want to do that!

Shows what nice people are on this forum - no 'jealous' smilie available
debz1 likes this.
Old 17-06-2013, 22:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by debz1 View Post
Very strange though that there is a clear 'cut off' point from the cheaper beds and pebbly beach, and the stretch from the beach bar and more expensive beds.

13.50€ on the rocky,almost impossible to walk into the sea part, and 21€ on the lovely white sand. Maybe has to be seen to be understood
Maybe the hotel has imported some sand and reinstated their bit of the beach? If I was (in my dreams) stopping there, even as a non-swimmer, I would be a bit miffed if there was no beach.
Old 18-06-2013, 21:50

My gut feel, given that a lot of the beaches in Mallorca are 'artificial' is that the hotel have reinstated this bit of the beach after storm damage, but the public section has been left to nature. So whether or not it is reinstated will depend on (1) the tide / current patterns; and (2) the willingness of the owners to assist nature.

Either way it could be a few years before it is back to 'normal'.
Old 18-06-2013, 22:40

Have a look at these pictures. The stone barrier that has clearly been created would have taken some effort which could just as easily been spent shipping in sand. There is something strange about it all!!!!

Flickr: malcolmnewing@btinternet.com's Photostream

Last edited by Chelseadons; 18-06-2013 at 22:44.
Old 18-06-2013, 23:32

Well there's only one option, take my picnic chair and place it down on the nice bit of beach

All beaches in Spain are public

Do I have the nerve ??
favie, debz1, Belladonna and 1 others like this.
Old 19-06-2013, 22:40

Default Formentor Beach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelseadons View Post
Have a look at these pictures. The stone barrier that has clearly been created would have taken some effort which could just as easily been spent shipping in sand. There is something strange about it all!!!!

Flickr: malcolmnewing@btinternet.com's Photostream
What on earth is all the fuss about?????. There was always a row of stones at the waters edge at the "Public " end of formentor. Due to the storms the stones have been washed further up the beach. Its simple, just step over them!!!!!!
Old 20-06-2013, 19:35

Ronnie you either need to go or look at my photos. You would have to be Greg Rutherford to step over the stones as they are now !!! This isn't just the odd few stones at the waters edge , its a 3 feet barrier clearly man made before you get to the normal stones which are far worse than ever before, so that's what the fuss is all about.