Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Beaches

Beaches Do you have a favourite beach? Know of any activities on specific beaches?

Like Tree74Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20-06-2013, 16:40

Default Save Formentor Beach!

Hello,

I wanted to start this thread to raise awareness about a matter close to my heart…the demise of Formentor Beach! Sounds very dramatic I know, but those of you, like me, who have enjoyed this beautiful beach for years, I’m sure will be as sad as I am to see the terrible state it is in since the storms earlier this year. And even worse, that it doesn’t look like anything is going to be done about it, any time soon!

So…I have decided to draw up a petition to the Mayor of Pollença, describing why it’s so important for holidaymakers, locals and the town hall alike, that Formentor Beach is restored to it’s former beauty.

If you’d like to sign the petition, you can do so here:
http://www.change.org/es/peticiones/...ntigua-belleza

FYI the petition is in Spanish so for those that don’t speak the lingo, it reads like this:

“Dear Senor Bartomeu Cifre Ochogavía:

Formentor Beach has always been a key attraction for holidaymakers and locals alike. The renowned fine white sands and the clear blue waters have long made this beach a haven of beauty, which many liken to paradise.

After storms in the early part of this year, the beach was virtually destroyed, as the sand was swept away to reveal rocks and pebbles.

Although the stretch of beach in front of Hotel Formentor appears to have been restored and replenished with new sand, the rest of the beach remains in ruins. It not only looks dreadful, but it is also impossible to lie on the sand or enter the sea without much discomfort.

We strongly believe it's in the town hall's interest to restore this beautiful landmark location to its former beauty. If not, you run the risk of damaging it's fantastic reputation; losing loyal visitors and also newcomers, and as a result, will also lose an important source of revenue for the north of the island.

Yours Sincerely,

(Name of Signatory)”
pollensa, favie, debz1 and 7 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Old 20-06-2013, 17:13
Super Moderator

Well done you Tora, i hope it works. The whole area can only benefit if all the beaches are of the highest standard .
Tora likes this.
Old 20-06-2013, 17:42

Hi and welcome Tora great cause, the beaches are the heart of any resort! Good luck!
Tora likes this.

On island time!!
Old 20-06-2013, 18:03

Yep, it's going viral everywhere now Tora! Signatures gaining by the minute. Only takes a click guys, lets get the sand put back for the summer!
eleanor and Tora like this.
Old 21-06-2013, 11:18

Clever idea and it will be interesting to see how local democracy works in Pollensa! The petition needs 100 signatures to gain credibility so lets help Tora !!
Sparky, eleanor and Tora like this.
Old 21-06-2013, 13:19

Hi guys,

Just a quick update...the petition is now up to 34 signatures. Thanks for all support so far! If you could all share via Facebook, Twitter, Email etc. we should reach the 100 mark in no time but hopefully get many more!

debz1 and Sparky like this.
Old 21-06-2013, 13:32

Just another quick note, if anyone does share on FB, make sure that the privacy settings for that particular post are set to 'Public' to gain as much reach as possible! You can change this using the little drop down next to the 'post' button! Thanks x
Sparky likes this.
Old 21-06-2013, 14:20

I have just done it, but had to use Google translator to read the article:- ) And to know what to fill in (First name etc) Very good worked Tora !
pollensa, debz1, Sparky and 1 others like this.
Old 22-06-2013, 14:41

Hi Guys,

Now up to 61 signatures! Also have a mention about petition in blog by Andrew Ede from Talk of The North.

alcudiapollensa: Sign Here: Petitions

He and a few others have mentioned this petition may need to be addressed to the Costas authority...Does anyone know if there is a website or contact info for them? I can then add them to the petition. I have had a quick search online and can't find a website....

Cheers!
Sparky likes this.
Old 22-06-2013, 23:04

Up to 73 signatures now!

Please vote if you haven't done so yet. Formentor is undoubtedly one of the most beautiful places to visit in Mallorca.

At the moment it looks a mess
Sparky likes this.
Old 23-06-2013, 07:20

Debz contacted me, and I have posted details re the Costas as a comment to the article. Certainly no harm in sending the petition to both the town hall and the Costas. Indeed, where the town hall is concerned, it might give them ammunition to persuade the Costas, if indeed it is the Costas' responsibility.
Old 23-06-2013, 08:58
Super Moderator

There are some links here Spain:- Government of Spain: Useful links - Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development, i will have a browse later to see if any of them are useful .
debz1 likes this.
Old 23-06-2013, 11:11
Super Moderator

If you haven't already signed the petition please do and get your family and friends to do it too .
debz1, LK1960 and cherylbb like this.
Old 23-06-2013, 17:38

Perfect, thanks Andrew! I'll take a look and add the relevant details to petition. Just to give a quick update, support is still rolling in...We're up to 79 signatures now and I also contacted English Radio Pollensa yesterday on Facebook and they very kindly plugged the petition on their show yesterday and also today so big thanks to Charlie, Gary and Nicki for your support!
debz1, Sparky and Lorenzo like this.
Old 24-06-2013, 14:03

Hi!

Another quick update...we now have 89 signatures, so well done to those plugging away!

I have just sent out another appeal to all my 'amigos pollensines' on FB to sign and share with their friends as I think local support is as important as the holiday makers'/expats' support. Would be great if you guys could do the same if you haven't already...If you wanted to send the appeal in Spanish feel free to use mine as a template:

"Ya hemos superado 89 firmas para la petición para restaurar la hermosa playa de Formentor, pero aún necesitamos más! Llamando a todos mis amigos Pollensines, por favor que firmen la petición y compartanla con sus amigos! Si ya lo has hecho, gracissssss i Feliç Sant Joan a tots! ♥ http://chn.ge/12O1l0w"

Andrew, as you recommended I have also been in touch with the Alternativa per Pollença (sent PM on FB) this morning asking for their support and that they spread the word so hopefully that will have an impact...great idea BTW! ☺

I also wanted to explain how this petition works...When I set it up initially it asked me to enter the name, organisation and email address of the individual/s to whom I was petitioning. Thereafter, every time the petition gained a new signature that person would receive an email alerting them of this.

I addressed the petition to Sr. Bartomeu Cifre Ochogavía - El Alcalde (Mayor) de Pollença, and confirmed the correct email address for him, so he/his office will be receiving these notifications.

Since Andrew and Lorenzo mentioned this could also be an issue for the Costas authority, the petition is now also addressed to Sr. Juan Carlos Plaza - Jefe de la Demarcación de Costas en las Illes Balears. When I called his office this morning I was informed there was no email address for him. All petitions must be sent via regular mail or delivered in person to his office in Palma.

The address they gave me was the following:
DEMARCACION DE COSTAS DE BALEARES - MINISTERIO DE MEDIO AMBIENTE
CALLE CIUTAT QUERETARO, S/N
PALMA (BALEARES)
+34971774943

Once we have gained enough signatures to hopefully have a real impact, I plan to send a formal letter to both authorities and perhaps, if necessary a visit in person wouldn't go a miss either… Funnily enough this is the exact place I was the other day to sort out my NIE number so at least it wouldn’t be hard to find! ☺

Anyway hope that makes things a little clearer….