Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Beaches

Beaches Do you have a favourite beach? Know of any activities on specific beaches?

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2011, 19:09

Default Best beach?

So where is the best beach? We'll be heading to the Port in late May, early June and i'm looking for a nice quiet beach, just for ourselves for a picnic and some snorkeling. Will it be Cala st Vincent? Formentor? or is there some secluded cove that you're not telling me about (i promise not to tell anyone , honest, Sparky ) It will be in May/June so will alot of them be quiet then?
Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-2011, 19:21

Hi Jiggs, a previous link found by Mark is a very good start!

Home island
Old 02-02-2011, 19:25

Hi Bella Yes i saw Marks link, but i was after some personal reccomendations . What's your fav, Bella?
Old 02-02-2011, 19:36

Ah, difficult one there, I'm not really a beach babe - just wrecks the high heels! I'm happy to be on Llenaire beach for a few hours as long as the sunbeds and shades are there, and I can pop across and get a jug of sangria to cool off! Will be interesting to see other recommendations and I just know Formentor is a firm favourite!
Old 02-02-2011, 20:43

Jiggy if you're hiring a car and want to explore I would definitely recommend Cala Mondrago and Portals Vells. Both are gorgeous bays and the snorkelling is great...lots of fish and sometimes squid too!! The beach restaurant at Portal Vells is fantastic...very rustic, amazing paella, fresh sardines or tortilla washed down with a cold rosado Its not far from Magalluf and quite hard to find down a bumpy dirt track through lovely woods, but well worth the effort.

Closer to 'home' you cant beat Formentor for crystal clear water and a beautiful pine shaded beach. The beach restaurant is quite pricey so we usually take a picnic and go and get a coffee para llevar and sit and watch the sunset....bliss. Cala San Vicente is better for snorkelling and its usually calm...although you can sometimes be caught out with a very rough sea and the red flag flying ...but it is fantastic to sit and watch the waves roar in from the safety of the beach bar!

End of May should still be fairly quite at all these beaches although the half term week will be busier. Have fun!!!
MalcolmS likes this.
Old 02-02-2011, 21:52

Attempted to get to Portals Vells out of season and it was a nightmare as well as being totally deserted except for dozens of cats! But it certainly looks like one to try when you know where you are going and a little bit more in season! I think this link shows a few good photos of it and better directions than we had at the time!

Basic beach file - Portals Vells

http://www.platgesdebalears.com/capl...cMun=1&cIsl=MA - Calla Mondrago

Last edited by Belladonna; 02-02-2011 at 22:12.
Old 02-02-2011, 22:14

Thanks Bella and Debz , i really am looking a bit closer to PP. Formentor looks good, but i dont like the sound of all those peeps coming to it by the ferries! , tho May might be a bit quieter hopefully. Cala sounds good too. We're also thinking of a day on the Tudor Dawn. Maybe Simon and Susie could find us a secluded bay, a bit expensive tho (Tho, it will be my 50th so s*d the expense )
Old 02-02-2011, 22:58

Jiggy the Tudor Dawn is a great experience but be careful you dont drip on the deck after a swim!!! Simon and Susie were very strict with their on board rules which is understandable as it is their home but we did feel a bit uncomfortable.

We sailed to a very secluded and beautiful bay the other side of the lighthouse and just before Formentor, and swam in the crystal clear sea. Very easy to jump in the water but climbing up the ladder to get out is a bit of a struggle...well it was for me anyway

It is quite expensive but certainly worth it for a special treat
Old 02-02-2011, 23:11

Jiggy

Good tip for Formentor

Drive round and go late afternoon ........... due to the timings of the boats most of the crowds are there between 10am and 4pm ..... nights are light in May so if you arrive about 4 you should get a good few hrs on the beach with not many crowds
Old 02-02-2011, 23:34

Debz, did you do the T.D. with just the two of you - plus other people obviously - or in a family or friends group? Has anyone done the sunset cruise with them?
Old 03-02-2011, 00:09

We used to have good days at the two beaches at Mal Pas near Alcudia. Not been there for some time, our beach bum days are now over sadly!
Old 03-02-2011, 00:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belladonna View Post
Debz, did you do the T.D. with just the two of you - plus other people obviously - or in a family or friends group? Has anyone done the sunset cruise with them?
There were 8 of us plus two Australian hunks!
Old 03-02-2011, 00:43
Super Moderator

Jiggs, like Bella i don't really do beaches so i can't possibly comment. Now if you want some help regarding bars.............................................. .well you know who to ask .
Old 03-02-2011, 01:26

Smile

Sorry to come in a bit late on the thread ..... but just wanted to agree about Formentor later in the day.

We stayed late one evening and by 8 o'clock the beach was deserted except for the four of us.....just like having a private beach....absolutely fab !
Old 03-02-2011, 10:44

Alcanada

You brought back some real memories with mentionning Mal pas !! We used to go there such a lot in the 80s I would think and the only place to stay then was a Hostal Did try and book the Hostal once In those days we had to communicate in Spanish and no credits cards then so it was complicated and in the end we had tp cancel it for family reasons !!

I would love to know what it is like now as Alcudia was fairly quiet then and we also stayed in Aucanada but last time we went there it had developed a lot

PP still is our favourite place and pulls us back Last year I said to a friend due to health problems at present I wasnt going anywhere new to explore only PP I said we love it anyway and she said what is there not to like about it and they love it and have travelled the world and back a few times !! Every single person I know who has been there has always loved it and would return anytime

Sad about the trees and am following the threads on the Square with interest As the seasoin isnt that long anyway they ought to get on with it as Im sure the bar and restaurant owners wont be pleased to have diggers etc there in summer !!
Roll on June !!