Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca

Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca Where to eat and drink. For great reviews and comments on bars, cafes and restaurants. Do give locations if possible.

Like Tree9Likes
  • 2 Post By Tone
  • 3 Post By Smiddy
  • 1 Post By Sparky

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23-01-2013, 12:37

Default O'Lume

Seems to split opinion here like Bonys and casa Vila is starting to do.

We went last saturday instead of going to Stay which was our original thinking. The thought of sitting in front of a nice cosy open fire instead of listening to the wind and rain batter off the windows in Stay seemed appealing!

Yes, it was cosy, yes the owner (Jaime??) was attentive and professional and yes the food was lovely however we were the only ones in and it was pretty soulless to be honest. It seems to lack that "something" to attract the punters in their droves. Although it mostly gets great reviews it appears that the locals and those who dont frequent here dont share the love.

So................... Stay or O'Lume?

Last edited by hoopy; 23-01-2013 at 12:43. Reason: speeling
Sponsored Links
Old 23-01-2013, 13:22

O'lume every single time for me-
but I think the better comparison is probably La Llonja or Stay as they have similar locations, MDD / format- The quality of the food in both is similar but and I'd go with La Llonja as they offer better service and slightly better value for money.
Old 26-02-2013, 17:54

Default O'Lume

Still haven't visited yet, (must be the only couple in PP who haven't) but something I've been meaning to mention, and will appreciate your thoughts: One evening last summer, probably Mid July we were walking past O' Lume and thought, we'll give it a try, went through into the Garden Area where there was one table in the corner available, however, the live music which was coming from next door, (The Old Tots), now I think another English style pub, but I may be wrong about that, was so loud and intrusive, I didn’t really want to listen to it for two or three hours whilst having dinner.

Just my personal opinion of course, each to his own and all that, but it really was loud, and could be heard all the way down that area where Hells Kitchen, Ca'n Pancho etc are located. It may have been a "one-off" one night only type of event, but I don't think so.

I appreciate it must be difficult, live music in one establishment, next door an upmarket restaurant that's probably trying to create a completely different type of ambience.

Anyone have any thoughts , opinions about this
Old 26-02-2013, 18:13
Super Moderator

Yes i do know the owners of the nearby restaurants were unhappy about the live music being too loud last year, i believe the police have the power to make establishments turn the volume down but of course someone has to make a complaint to them first.
Old 26-02-2013, 18:41

Hoopy, I hear what you're saying about the perceived lack of atmosphere in O'Lume - we have been the only diners there on several occasions and while we haven't let the lack of buzz get us down (after a couple of Jaime's cocktails we had a party all of our own!), it is obviously more fun to be there if other tables are occupied. That said, we have also been in La Llonja when we were the only people eating and that was worse - because it is much bigger. Jaime, if you're reading this, I think one of the problems is that people look in from the street and can't see the rather cosy restaurant area - they just see the bar, which is never busy and looks a bit unwelcoming, like just another cafeteria - and it is so much more than that. The lighting is too bright too which doesn't help, and nor do the Ikea lampshades. I really do think it is just a problem of decor as the food is wonderful, the best in the Port IMO. The place just needs a bit of a design rethink - some mood lighting - maybe a few candles on tables in the bar - and play Spanish guitar music or something similar rather than the slightly random compilation tapes which are usually in evidence. It would be so easy to make it appear more vibrant to casual passers-by. What it needs is more of a 'celler' feel. Or live music - something to draw in the crowds.

Sorry to rant on - Jaime's interior design is something that always niggles me every time I go there! I know it does put some people off and it is such a shame because this restaurant deserves to be packed to the gills every night.

Last edited by kate1; 26-02-2013 at 18:44.
Old 26-02-2013, 21:15

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinewalker View Post
Still haven't visited yet, (must be the only couple in PP who haven't) but something I've been meaning to mention, and will appreciate your thoughts: One evening last summer, probably Mid July we were walking past O' Lume and thought, we'll give it a try, went through into the Garden Area where there was one table in the corner available, however, the live music which was coming from next door, (The Old Tots), now I think another English style pub, but I may be wrong about that, was so loud and intrusive, I didn’t really want to listen to it for two or three hours whilst having dinner.

Just my personal opinion of course, each to his own and all that, but it really was loud, and could be heard all the way down that area where Hells Kitchen, Ca'n Pancho etc are located. It may have been a "one-off" one night only type of event, but I don't think so.

I appreciate it must be difficult, live music in one establishment, next door an upmarket restaurant that's probably trying to create a completely different type of ambience.

Anyone have any thoughts , opinions about this
We were there on one of our visits last year 2012, we had just sat down when the lcoal Police arrived at Jamie's request. The Police did have a word with Tots and the sound was turned down (a rather large table of diners from a German sailing team had complained).

All in all we had a great night and the other diners seemed to enjoy as we did.

Lucky.

Last edited by Luckyone; 26-02-2013 at 21:18. Reason: spelling/typo
Old 26-02-2013, 22:14

The music from other restaurants have never been any probelms from us
Regarding how many people that are in the restaurant ,I think Jaime did not care so much. The times we have been there alone, I asked if we should sit somewhere where others can look in and see us, but he doesen't cares.People will come because they know or have heard that the food is good, not because they see others people inside- We really love this place :-) And Jaime see you in Easter
snowy2007 and Doogz1874 like this.
Old 27-02-2013, 18:05

Default O' Lume

Must say, the amount of diners in a restaurant has never ever bothered me, indeed it can be quite an attraction it it's quiet. More than happy with the company of Mrs S, and my own personal cook and waiter for the evening.
Mark, Doogz1874 and Belladonna like this.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:21
Super Moderator

As we were getting off topic i have moved the last 4 posts into a new thread, here http://www.forum.puertopollensa.com/...usy-quiet.html .
pollensa likes this.