Businesses For Sale
Property Services
Local Services
MouseMats & T-shirts
Computers
Internet Services
Virus Protection
PuertoPollensa.com discussion forums

Go Back   Pollensa Forum > ONCE YOU'RE THERE > Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca

Bars & Restaurants in Pollensa, Majorca Where to eat and drink. For great reviews and comments on bars, cafes and restaurants. Do give locations if possible.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2006, 17:22
klad1

We were disappointed to find this restaurant closed when we visited in February but finally made it last week. Sorry to say but we were even more disappointed that we had used one of our special nights at a place we thought mediocre at best.

I asked for a glass of white wine as a pre dinner drink and was poured a glass from a small carafe that tasted as though it had been decanted days ago. No apology was given when I politely sent it back. Judging from the rows of carafes of red wine on the counter the tops covered only by a square of silver foil, I can only imagine the red wine (?house) would be equally undrinkable.

My husband had carpaccio of beef with parmesan which was very good but expensive. We followed with the monkfish and langoustines in an almond sauce. The portions of fish were small and overcooked and were accompanied by a single small langoustine not langoustines as described on the menu.

For dessert we shared Mallorcan cake with almond icecream. the cake was so dry we would have liked more than the accompanying tiny spoonful of ice cream to make it palatable.

The prices are approximately 10% higher than those shown in the menu above. We thought it expensive and overrated. I appreciate this is not the view of many but we visted based on those reviews and feel it only fair to give our honest opinion. For a restaurant in this category we found O Lume (open in Feb) far superior.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-2006, 20:33
Snowy

All I can say must have been an off night, may I ask did you complain to the staff, and make you views known ?.
Old 10-05-2006, 21:59
Sara4

Actually, we had an off night here too, which I have mentioned once before.

My main gripe was that everything took so long to arrive. The food looked great, but as we had waited such a long time for it to actually arrive - I had completely lost my appetite and consequently, only ate a very small amount.

The waitress asked if there was a problem when she came to take the plates away and I explained why I had been unable to eat it. She just shrugged and said that they were very busy!! Eh! Am I missing something....

We had previously been for lunch and that was lovely, but we felt that they didn't seem geared up for a very busy night.

Definitely needed more staff on and it put me off going again in an evening.
Old 11-05-2006, 00:23

Just like to say ..'when in Mallorca'!

Los Zarzales is a typically Mallorcian, family run restaurant. All the food is prepared freshly and so you will have to wait longer than most of the others in the Port.It is a meant to be a whole evening experience like the locals spend, and if you sit and chat,have a few drinks and nibble on the appertisers and olives, it doesn't seem long before the food arrrives. I'm sure we can all think of plenty of 'fast food' places if you're in a hurry !!!

I'm amazed klad1 that you thought the portions weren't very large...if I had to complain about anything I'd say they were too big and chels and I often share a starter. I have never tried the house white, but as a VERY fussy red wine drinker when we go in a big crowd we always go for the 'house' and it's very good.

As Snowy said maybe you both experienced an off night which every restaurant has from time to time. I'm sure if you had complained to Yolanda she would have done her best to put things right...and she would have felt mortified.

Personally I can't wait to go again with our friends in 5 weeks time
Old 11-05-2006, 19:23
Sara4

There is doing as the Mallorcans do and there is taking the mick!!

I have been going to Spain and Mallorca for over 30 years and am very used to the slower pace, but believe me this was so slow - I think it would have made a snail look speedy!!
Old 11-05-2006, 20:39
Snowy

Debz - I think we are on a loser here, everyone to there own.

All I will say there are many more people who joy La Zarzales than don't, this is the first bad report I have seen and knowing the owners like I do, they will take action IF required.

I for one will still be eating there on my next visit, and enjoying the surroundings and a drink or two while waiting whats the rush, chill it make's one feel good.

For anyone not having been to La Zarzales please do try and judge for yourself.

"The proof of the pudding is in the eating".

:b :b
Old 11-05-2006, 22:55

I'm certainly going to try Los Zarzales in August.

However, I have one problem...

My parents have very kindly agreed to fly out midway through our holiday to babysit for us.. hee hee!!!:rollin

So, the hubby and I will take advantage of this and pick a good restaurant to go to, just the two of us.

Hmmm...now which one should it be??

Los Zarzales - or Ca'n Costa??

Any suggestions?

Jane
Old 12-05-2006, 01:13

Here here Snowy

Jane that's brilliant that your parents are joining you in PP!

I'm sure if you asked them nicely they'd babysit twice so you can go to both..or perhaps do a nice lunch round the pool washed down with gallons of cava so that they would just have to sleep it off in the evening

Make sure you book Los Z and ask to sit in the courtyard ..FAB!!!
Old 12-05-2006, 02:36

Hi Debs,

I know we will end up at both and I've already half made my mind up to take the children to Los Zarzales while our "special" night will be at Ca'n Costa.

I would like to take my parents to Los Zarzales on the day they arrive and will make sure I book the courtyard table.

Oh, I can't wait!

Hubby told me this morning that we have 11 weeks to go on Saturday!

Jane
Old 12-05-2006, 04:18

We went with some friends to this restaurant and after seeing the reviews thought we would have a very good meal. However we were very disappointed and thought the food extremely average, the service barely adequate and the prices too high for what was being offered. None of us would go back there again.
Old 12-05-2006, 04:44
klad1

Snowy we did politely complain about the wine but no apology was forthcoming nor was there any attempt to replace it with something decent.

Debz, for the price the monkfish portions were small and it is somewhat disappointing when you are expecting langoustines
(plural) to be given a single scrawny prawn, particularly when you are paying nearly 17 euros for the main course.
Old 12-05-2006, 05:21

Default Re:Los Zarzales

Jane,

If you've only got one night don't go to either.

Push the boat out and go to Es Convent in Old Alcudia.

BonysLad
Old 12-05-2006, 08:52
klad1

Default Re: Re:Los Zarzales

I dont want to be accused of being petty but es convent is something I feel quite strongly about, my husband and I went last year and he thought it was Ok but I didnt like it at all. We nearly didnt go to Son Brull thinking it might be similar, how wrong we were.

You will pay approximately the same for both places but in our opinion Son Brull is streets ahead. I know it is only our opinion but I would suggest as you will be forking out up to 160 euros for 2 people go and have a look at both places and check out the menu before you decide. Even if you decide not to eat at Son Brull it is such a beautiful place you wont have wasted any time I can assure you. We had a la carte at Son Brull which was great but you can have a tasting menu for 63 euros which we will definately be returning to sample.
Old 12-05-2006, 14:15

Default son brull

I've got loads of my nearest and dearest mates joining me for dinner at Son Brull next week for the BIG birthday. Can't wait! Will report back.
Old 12-05-2006, 16:45
Marsha

Default Re: Los Zarzarles

You all know I love Los Zarzarles, but I've never eaten in the courtyard. Doesn't it get a bit warm in there, surrounded by those high walls? I'm quite happy sitting in the street with the cool breeze from the sea and the suckling pig!